Search the forum,

Discuss BBC Watchdog - British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
All companies want to make money no harm in that. Here's a scenario, I'm in a customers house and service the boiler, I fill out my paperwork and advise the customer on the benefits of trv's, remote heating controls or a Magnabooster. The customer declines and I leave literature for the product I've advised on. That's it, my job their is done, what the customer does with the advise I've given is totally up to them, no pressure at all. Would it be best if I serviced the boiler and gave no advise at all?

Its all about credibility, you should be in a position to do your job as a service engineer and leave sales to the salesmen.

This is your statement from a previous post....... The BG schedule is listed here - the front cover doesn't get taken off the case, so there is absolutely no chance of executing the manufacturer's service schedule:-

The web page you took this assumption from......
Boiler Service and Safety Checks - One-off Boiler Service - British Gas

Now I will ask you again, where on that web page does it state the case doesnt get removed? I am really intrigued now as to what your grievance with British Gas is.
I work for British Gas and I service a boiler as per British Gas operational procedures.

Its all about credibility, you should be in a position to do your job as a service engineer and leave sales to the salesmen.

I am not a salesman and never will be. If i was self employed I would give the same advise as I do working for British Gas. Are you saying you don't offer your customers advise? When I advise customers on a product I leave them with the appropriate literature and it is then up to them if they take my advise, no pressure.
The amount of customers I meet who always complain about the price of gas, am I not doing my job by offering them advise on keeping there bills down, ie: installing TRV's, a room stat or simply asking if they have loft or cavity wall insulation, which by the way is free through British Gas.

can all posters take note,keep your comments constructive unless you have evidence of any wrong doing by BG then please do not start pointing fingers

This is your statement from a previous post....... The BG schedule is listed here - the front cover doesn't get taken off the case, so there is absolutely no chance of executing the manufacturer's service schedule:-

The web page you took this assumption from......
Boiler Service and Safety Checks - One-off Boiler Service - British Gas

Now I will ask you again, where on that web page does it state the case doesnt get removed? I am really intrigued now as to what your grievance with British Gas is.
I work for British Gas and I service a boiler as per British Gas operational procedures.

As I've already said, my statement about the cover not being removed is based on observing a number of BG boiler "services", and various replies from BG saying that removing the cover is not required because they don't consider that dismantling is necessary if the gas check is ok.

Now having answered your question more than once, would you care to describe: "British Gas operational procedures" in relation to boiler servicing?

Which shouldn't be difficult, after all, if you're proud of your work and BGs servicing, why not shout it from the roof tops?

I find it hard to believe anyone would tell you that removing the case is not required. I can only imagine this was a phone operator who doesn't know what they are talking about. You haven't answered my question fully as I asked you why did you refer to that web page. The servicing policy is too long and detailed to list but I can assure you that the case must always be removed for inspection of the heat exchanger, any engineer not doing this, isn't doing he's job correctly.

If I can add my two pennyworth
I was BG trained before it was BG and I have openly stated that the training I received was second to none.

My only gripe with them specifically is that I can't compete with their finance terms.
But that's my problem, not theirs.

A customers gripe with them recently focussed on the 'slash & burn' method of boiler installation which resulted in my customer and her neighbour being without water for two days because the shared lead main was broken by the installation team and they evidently couldn't repair it
To be fair, I think the installation team were subbies and were only interested in getting the job done ASAP with not as much customer care as should have been.

At the end of the day, the paying customer controls the purse strings and there is no grounds for them to be disgruntled if they pay over the odds for something when there is so much free advice available just for the asking.
MM

I find it hard to believe anyone would tell you that removing the case is not required. I can only imagine this was a phone operator who doesn't know what they are talking about. You haven't answered my question fully as I asked you why did you refer to that web page. The servicing policy is too long and detailed to list but I can assure you that the case must always be removed for inspection of the heat exchanger, any engineer not doing this, isn't doing he's job correctly.

Not a phone operator - this has been gone into well above your head, believe me.

The response from BG management has been that they don't follow the manufacturer's servicing schedule, and that they have their own - which not surprisingly, you are not prepare to describe.

If you took your car/van to Kwik Fix & Co and paid for a service, and then found that various things hadn't been done, and when you challenged this they said: "we don't follow the manufacturer's servicing schedule because we've made up our own!", I don't think you would be satisified, in fact, I suspect you would use words that are not permitted on this forum.

Bearing in mind that most manufacturer's servicing schedules can be found by anyone searching the Internet, it would seem rather strange that a huge company like BG doesn't have their schedule available in the same way. If I'm wrong on that point, perhaps you can kindly provide a link?

Not a phone operator - this has been gone into well above your head, believe me.

The response from BG management has been that they don't follow the manufacturer's servicing schedule, and that they have their own - which not surprisingly, you are not prepare to describe.

If you took your car/van to Kwik Fix & Co and paid for a service, and then found that various things hadn't been done, and when you challenged this they said: "we don't follow the manufacturer's servicing schedule because we've made up our own!", I don't think you would be satisified, in fact, I suspect you would use words that are not permitted on this forum.

Bearing in mind that most manufacturer's servicing schedules can be found by anyone searching the Internet, it would seem rather strange that a huge company like BG doesn't have their schedule available in the same way. If I'm wrong on that point, perhaps you can kindly provide a link?

On the safety side of a service, everything is done that is listed in the manufacture instructions. Can you explain what exactly wasn't done in this case? I've got the servicing policy up on my laptop in front of me so I'm ready to answer any questions you may have. Are you an engineer or a customer with a grievance?

I've had a BG maint contract on my whole CH system for 25 years.

For most of this time, the boiler cover was removed for the annual service and ash was cleaned out.

Then for 2 or 3 years, the cover was NOT removed as I was told that "messing about with it causes more harm than good" and all they did was poke a gadget into the flue and if that was OK that's all they did.

For the last few years, they have removed the cover and cleaned out the ash.

Last edited by a moderator:
The British Gas Service Policy requires completion of a generic service check, which involves carrying out essential safety checks followed by the use of a flue gas analyser to confirm safe and efficient combustion. Only when acceptable combustion readings cannot be achieved, or when a flue gas analyser is not available, or the operative has concerns, shall a full strip and clean service , in accordance with the manufacture instructions, be undertaken. A full strip and clean service shall always be carried out on back boilers units and back circulator units. The combustion case must always be removed to enable inspection of the heat exchanger etc etc.

I've had a BG maint contract on my whole CH system for 25 years.

For most of this time, the boiler cover was removed for the annual service and ash was cleaned out.

Then for 2 or 3 years, the cover was NOT removed as I was told that "messing with it causes more harm than good" and all they did was poke a gadget into the flue and if that was OK that's all they did.

For the last few years, they have removed the cover and cleaned out the ash.

A lot of boilers do get capped off after a service due to corrosion of the inner flue or case seals beyond repair. Some customers do get irate as they only wanted a service and your capping the boiler off, but when I explain that the reason they had the service in the first place was to check for safety and I've found it to be unsafe, most do understand. What boiler have you got? There's not many where you have to clean ash out of them these days.

I am not a salesman and never will be. If i was self employed I would give the same advise as I do working for British Gas. Are you saying you don't offer your customers advise? When I advise customers on a product I leave them with the appropriate literature and it is then up to them if they take my advise, no pressure.
The amount of customers I meet who always complain about the price of gas, am I not doing my job by offering them advise on keeping there bills down, ie: installing TRV's, a room stat or simply asking if they have loft or cavity wall insulation, which by the way is free through British Gas.

I'm sure your a fantastic gasman and not driven by the sell sell altitude of some others, I know what impact privatisation has had on the role of a gas service engineer for BG, to ignore the negative side of the sell sell cooperate driven attitude is as silly as saying all BG engineers are crap and need a PC to help get the case off.

A BG engineers credibility has been effected and it isn't the same as used to be, but I can only speak of my own findings.

What boiler have you got? There's not many where you have to clean ash out of them these days.

A Potterton, 25 years old, has window in front to see the nice blue flame, which heats a cast-iron heat exchanger above the flame, the ash is cleaned from below the burner.

I'm sure your a fantastic gasman and not driven by the sell sell altitude of some others, I know what impact privatisation has had on the role of a gas service engineer for BG, to ignore the negative side of the sell sell cooperate driven attitude is as silly as saying all BG engineers are crap and need a PC to help get the case off.

A BG engineers credibility has been effected and it isn't the same as used to be, but I can only speak of my own findings.
Needing a laptop to take the case off pmsl
Yes If I come across a boiler which is new to me, then I will look at the manufacture instructions, isn't that what they are there for? The one thing with working for British Gas is I can't say to a customer "sorry, don't work on them" which Is what a lot of local firms tend to say. At British Gas we have to work on every appliance out there as long as its service listed. I went to work in Derby for a couple of weeks to help out in that extreme cold weather we had and I came across a boiler called a Wolf, thank god it wasn't service listed lol. Have you ever heard of a boiler called a Wolf?

A Potterton, 25 years old, has window in front to see the nice blue flame, which heats a cast-iron heat exchanger above the flame, the ash is cleaned from below the burner.
Is it a floor standing boiler? You say it's 25 years old, did you know the average lifespan of a boiler is 15 years old? And British Gas didn't make that up. Best advise is to replace your 25 year old very low efficiency boiler with a modern efficient boiler. The chances are, you can't get many parts for the boiler, but saying that, they don't make boilers that last that long anymore. You could get another 10 years out of your boiler, who knows but that's a chance that you take. Experience tells me that when boilers do break, it's more than likely in the winter months. I hope your boiler goes on and on and gets you through many more winters. Good luck.

The British Gas Service Policy requires completion of a generic service check, which involves carrying out essential safety checks followed by the use of a flue gas analyser to confirm safe and efficient combustion. Only when acceptable combustion readings cannot be achieved, or when a flue gas analyser is not available, or the operative has concerns, shall a full strip and clean service , in accordance with the manufacture instructions, be undertaken. A full strip and clean service shall always be carried out on back boilers units and back circulator units. The combustion case must always be removed to enable inspection of the heat exchanger etc etc.

Thank you for confirming what I have stated on this thread - I am talking about domestic boilers.

If BG were selling Home Care on the basis that an annual safety check is done, and if thought to be necessary by BG, a Service will be carried out, that would be fair enough.

As can be seen in their sales literature and their contract material, they say that an annual safety check AND a service will be part of the agreement, which obviously leads to most customers believing that their boiler has been serviced.

Based on what I've seen of BG over the last few years, their aggressive marketing has led to the quality of service being side-lined, and I do have plenty of documentary evidence to support my opinion on that.

Thank you for confirming what I have stated on this thread - I am talking about domestic boilers.

If BG were selling Home Care on the basis that an annual safety check is done, and if thought to be necessary by BG, a Service will be carried out, that would be fair enough.

As can be seen in their sales literature and their contract material, they say that an annual safety check AND a service will be part of the agreement, which obviously leads to most customers believing that their boiler has been serviced.

Based on what I've seen of BG over the last few years, their aggressive marketing has led to the quality of service being side-lined, and I do have plenty of documentary evidence to support my opinion on that.

I can see we will never agree on this, you have obviously got a real problem with British Gas. So I will say tara for now.

What part of Scotland do you work tamz? I was working in Aberdeen back in March for 4 weeks, loved it.

I made a mistake, the Potterton was the boiler in previous house.

My current house has a Gloworm Fuelsaver 80F.

BG have always kept it going for me, although advise me to get it replaced with a fuel-efficient one.

But at my age, I will probably not live long enough to recoup the capital expense by the amount of gas I will save!

Mainly east central but anywhere really if there is money to be made. Aberdeen is a good place to work away. Plenty stuff going on up that way. Last time i was up there was about 2 years ago now when they were building union square (the centre across from the harbour).

Is it a floor standing boiler? You say it's 25 years old, did you know the average lifespan of a boiler is 15 years old? And British Gas didn't make that up. Best advise is to replace your 25 year old very low efficiency boiler with a modern efficient boiler. The chances are, you can't get many parts for the boiler, but saying that, they don't make boilers that last that long anymore. You could get another 10 years out of your boiler, who knows but that's a chance that you take. Experience tells me that when boilers do break, it's more than likely in the winter months. I hope your boiler goes on and on and gets you through many more winters. Good luck.

Thats the reason I am not a big fan of BG

How can you give best advice of replace the boiler and say some of the parts are not available when most parts on that boiler are ore than likely widely available. It scares the customer into thinking that if it breaks down in a cold snap then they will be without heat for weeks until they can get another boiler.

I do sell quite a few boilers working for the company I work for I dont get any thing for it and I dont do the hard sell on them just give them the options of repairing or replacing the boiler. But if I come to the likes of a Baxi Bermuda 25 years old I will never say my best advice is to replace it as that is not the best advice in that situation.

I made a mistake, the Potterton was the boiler in previous house.

My current house has a Gloworm Fuelsaver 80F.

BG have always kept it going for me, although advise me to get it replaced with a fuel-efficient one.

But at my age, I will probably not live long enough to recoup the capital expense by the amount of gas I will save!

A fuel saver will probably last longer than you as long as it doesn't rot. Reliable easy to fix boiler. But saying that i once had a capri which was pretty reliable too but i have a land rover now not because it costs less to run but because i wanted one.

I think every part of the boiler has been replaced over the years, so it is "new" really ie much less than its actual 25 years.

It is the flue that will kill it. That is still the original and will rot at some point.

Thats the reason I am not a big fan of BG

How can you give best advice of replace the boiler and say some of the parts are not available when most parts on that boiler are ore than likely widely available. It scares the customer into thinking that if it breaks down in a cold snap then they will be without heat for weeks until they can get another boiler.

I do sell quite a few boilers working for the company I work for I dont get any thing for it and I dont do the hard sell on them just give them the options of repairing or replacing the boiler. But if I come to the likes of a Baxi Bermuda 25 years old I will never say my best advice is to replace it as that is not the best advice in that situation.
How can you say it's not best advise to replace a boiler that's 25 years old? If I had a boiler 25 years old in my house, I'd replace it. I stated that you could get another 10 years out of it, who knows how long it will last, knowone does. But if I told a customer to stick with it, I wouldn't want to be going back in the middle of a very cold winter and saying "I'm really sorry mrs Jones, but I can't fix this boiler now as its so old and I can't get the heat exchanger which is leaking all over the kitchen and as its now our busiest time, unfortunately you have got a wait for a new boiler" I know what the reply would be from the customer, "you told me not to worry about replacing it" yes I know I did Mrs Jones but I never knew this was going to happen.
think about it mate, I'm not telling the customer they have to buy a boiler from British Gas I'm just explaining that my honest advise would be to start to think about replacing a boiler that's 25 years old, the customer wants my expert advise so I give it, simple.

The Energy Saving Trust estimate that a 15-year old conventional boiler may only be 60% efficient at converting fuel into heat; this means that for every ÂŁ100 you spend on heating bills, ÂŁ40 pays for wasted fuel.

When is the best time to upgrade?

As a general guide, boilers over 15 years of age are likely to be the least energy efficient and most difficult to source parts for if they should break down unexpectedly. Therefore it might make sense to replace an old boiler sooner rather than later.

[DLMURL]http://www.domgen.com/newslines/issue_2/boiler.html[/DLMURL]

The chances are, you can't get many parts for the boiler,

So why not just say you cant a heat exchanger for it when you can more than likely still get the gas valve, thermostat and thermo couple and probably still be able to get hold of burner

The chances are, you can't get many parts for the boiler,

So why not just say you cant a heat exchanger for it when you can more than likely still get the gas valve, thermostat and thermo couple and probably still be able to get hold of burner

When is the best time to upgrade?

As a general guide, boilers over 15 years of age are likely to be the least energy efficient and most difficult to source parts for if they should break down unexpectedly. Therefore it might make sense to replace an old boiler sooner rather than later.

[DLMURL="http://www.domgen.com/newslines/issue_2/boiler.html"]Newslines: Is your boiler ready for retirement?[/DLMURL]

I can see we will never agree on this, you have obviously got a real problem with British Gas. So I will say tara for now.

It takes a lot to stir me up, but BG have managed it - as mentioned, there is a history to my current opinion of BG, besides what has been mentioned here.

If you are an advocate for BG, you should have some interesting conversations on here, because I'm not the only one who has issues with them.

Nothing personal though, I can appreciate that they provide everything you need and a good wage, so toeing the party line and picking up the salary cheque is fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to BBC Watchdog - British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock