Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi Solo 2 50 PF - Ignition Problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zambo

Boiler is 11 years old and very efficient, but have experienced intermittent ignition problems for a couple of years now. This has foxed more than 10 different heating engineers, but it has to be a simple solution imo.

Current symptoms

When boiler comes on it sparks for about 30 secs, and then the pilot comes on, but the flame looks small, and looking through the window it appears that it is being blown around. It also looks like there is another flame just above it. The pilot flame doesn't seem to be reaching the burner. If I tap the boiler it ignites. I can also ignite the boiler by restricting some of the air out by putting my hand over part of the flue on the outside wall

Sounds to me like there is too much air around the pilot. Is it posible that I have a faulty door seal?

I have had several engineers look at the boiler but no one has been able to fix it, but every time they take it apart and put it together it works OK for a while. Had a new fan gasket a few months back, and also new pilot assembly and gas valve a while ago.

When the boiler is warm or hot, and then comes back on, one spark, the pilot lights and it ignites immediately.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The primary air port to your pilot burner may be blocked. The floose flame that looks as if it is being blown around is search for air. When you say you can see a flame above the pilot it sounds like flame lift, too much gas not enough air.

the pilot injector is getting blocked its a very very fine hole,with black dust in mains,due to poor quality gas in grid now,i must get 10 callout a year always baxi solos, dont put cleaning products in,also fuse wire/needles are no no,will damage injector,need tinned dusting spray(fresh air in a tin!)

sounds like the injector, dont bother cleaning it - a new one is less that 3 quid. tho you do have to be competent or registered to change it.

Well I've been unlucky so far with fitters. A couple have fited parts I have not needed, although I managed to get refunds for a pcb, because the new one they put in made no difference.

If anyone knows a good engineer in the PO postcode area I would be grateful. Heateam want £300 to walk through the door before they do anything.

get the baxi engineers in, they carry all the spare parts and should fix it in one visit. wont be cheap tho.

Yeah I know, the last time I called them (think their engineers are called Heateam) they wanted £300. That is a flat rate call-out charge apparently to fix a problem.

Hi Zambo
I can understand your pain & feel for you. I have got exactly the same problem on my Baxi solo2 PF30. Pilot will spark forever when starting cold but doesnt ignite.

Let me express that changing pilot, gas valve, HT Lead, Electrode & PCB isnt gonna fix it :(. Everything has been serviced. No Debris in gas pipe or a bad gas valve as other forums have suggested.

I dont know if covering the flue would ignite mine as the boiler is up in the loft but If i have the front sealed door slightly ajar with bottom clamps off, it ignites. What i dont understand is why there should be lack of air/oxygen as some have suggested? likewise once it fires it runs fine until it gets a brief period of cooldown. until then It will reignite with no problem.

Just for Understanding can someone explain what exactly is the function of APS or the air pressure switch? Just for understanding as its the only part i havent yet had changed. btw the aps checks out ok for voltage/continuity. could it be something else?

I have have this for couple of months & no where near to finding a solution let alone having a correct diagnosis. I have already changed HT Lead, pilot kit, forked out for a gas valve & PCB. I dont know where to look for next.

Hi TWADI, still have the problem. Had a new fan gasket fitted a while ago and that seemed to improve things. Also had the boiler serviced last week. Something else I recently noticed because the pump got a bit noisy, was that the pump is on 24/7 whether the boiler is alight or not. As I think the boiler controls the pump, I may have a problem with the pcb. Also I have found out that the ignition problem is nothing to do with the boiler being hot and cold, because if I turn it off just after it has struggled to ignite, it ignites first time if I turn it back on again. As the problem still exists after the service, I don't think the injector is blocked, and the engineer tested everything and it was fine. Still scratching my head on this one, as are all of the engineers I have had to look at it.

Thanks
I am now inclined towards blockage in the APS venturi as the flue is clean. As this part is not connected to gas, i could have a go myself.

never had this on a solo but have on a bermuda leads were touchin the burner but it is a very different set up btw i have seen loads of bermudas do this as normal ie take a while to light from cold

No, No leads touching. The HT Lead is well-insulated & has been changed anyway. I have a feeling this isnt an uncommon problem on solos. All other wires look good with no cracks etc. I was thinking of using a high power vacuum to pull the crap out of the tubing (if any). I would assume that dust spray would only throw stuff around rather than clean as its a narrow tubing. Looking like a job for the weekend though.

Zambo
after the intervention on the weekend i can now confirm that i have a boiler with improved performance. My Baxi solo2 as you know from my previous post was intermittently starting & stopping. The ignition would keep sparking for ages & may be after hours of clicking would either fire up on its own or if i had the door opened slightly. I can say that covering the flue would have the same effect & would start my boiler.
This weekend i proceeded to clean the APS switch which i was beginning to suspect. I cleaned it by first blowing air as someone had suggested & the by using a high pressure cacuum to suck out any particles or impurities. Replaced it back & Volla! the result is pilot now switches on in less than 5 ignition clicks & my boiler is back to normal. Have had it running all day yesterday & night without fail. I am now looking to buy a cheap APS for my solo. Cheapest one has come from an ebay contact, £18 inc. delivery. I say that is reasonable for a switch.

Hi Zambo
I can understand your pain & feel for you. I have got exactly the same problem on my Baxi solo2 PF30. Pilot will spark forever when starting cold but doesnt ignite.

Let me express that changing pilot, gas valve, HT Lead, Electrode & PCB isnt gonna fix it :(. Everything has been serviced. No Debris in gas pipe or a bad gas valve as other forums have suggested.

I dont know if covering the flue would ignite mine as the boiler is up in the loft but If i have the front sealed door slightly ajar with bottom clamps off, it ignites. What i dont understand is why there should be lack of air/oxygen as some have suggested? likewise once it fires it runs fine until it gets a brief period of cooldown. until then It will reignite with no problem.

Just for Understanding can someone explain what exactly is the function of APS or the air pressure switch? Just for understanding as its the only part i havent yet had changed. btw the aps checks out ok for voltage/continuity. could it be something else?

I have have this for couple of months & no where near to finding a solution let alone having a correct diagnosis. I have already changed HT Lead, pilot kit, forked out for a gas valve & PCB. I dont know where to look for next.

As the fan turns it should cause pressure differential enough to cause the APS diaphragm to move and make the microswitch. If this doesn't happen u won't get a spark so thats ok

The burners on these can block up so give it a nice bath!! I always would clean or check any injector. However without actually seeing the pilot flame I would remove the baffles at the top of the heat exchanger (checked previously with baxi). Obviously clean the heat exchanger if required. Check emmissions (well hoping that will help!!)

Last edited:
Hi there
I also have this exact problem with my Baxi Solo 2 50 PF
Mine is also 11 years old
I was assuming I would be told that the boiler needed replacement at this stage of life
The fire-up appears to be random, but maybe the jet blockage issue applies to me as it appears to be firing less and less
Will have to get someone to look at it but your trouble to date does not inspire
R

Hi there
I also have this exact problem with my Baxi Solo 2 50 PF
Mine is also 11 years old
I was assuming I would be told that the boiler needed replacement at this stage of life
The fire-up appears to be random, but maybe the jet blockage issue applies to me as it appears to be firing less and less
Will have to get someone to look at it but your trouble to date does not inspire
R

These are very simple boilers to work on..Employ the services of a Good Boiler engineer and im sure the repair will be of good value..PS it will probally out live some of the modern condensing boilers.

Thanks
I am now inclined towards blockage in the APS venturi as the flue is clean. As this part is not connected to gas, i could have a go myself.
of course you're having a wind up??

diy-gas-work-killssssss.jpg

Don't do it yourself mate, it;s really a dangerous thing to do

If the boiler has got to sparking stage it will not be anything to do with the APS !! will only be- air gas ratio / spark performance or blockage of injector !

thanks for input
did not notice that original thread was almost 2 years old at first
RD

Hi there, found this thread when searching on the exact same problem....

Mine can take an age to spark from cold but if i go outside and put my hand over the flue vent i almost instantly feel a little puff and then head back in doors to find it its fired up and then it runs happily.

Obviously the issue starting from cold isnt all that convenient for having the heating/hot water come on an hour or so before i wake up of a morning - I'm a complete novice so guess its a case of getting someone in?

I'm a member of British gas priority response, is it worth using them (think its a all in call out charge of £100 or so)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi Solo 2 50 PF - Ignition Problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock