Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi bermuda pw3. Help on job now in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Pilot is alight
Pump is running

Mains burner lit for short period then goes out

Any ideas?

Thermocouple it gas valve I'm thinking.

Just done still not firing up.

If I put pilot out then relight the burner lights for about 20 secs then goes out and won't come on again unless I extinguish pilot and start again.

blow out tube!!
could be something blocking in there starving the gas on full rate but low enough for pilot!
that the fire i take it?

Pulled thermocouple out now it's fired up straight away. Now going on and off

Rattling noise in pipes though

Last edited:
whats gas pressure at the test point?
seems like its restricted, still could be the valve
did you fit new thermo?

Sorry just want to update quick

Pull thermocouple out. Runs constantly. Will go out if i replace thermo.

F and e is roasting hot in loft. Is full but unable to vent rads.

Blocked cold feed?

Going back sunday to repipe cold feed and replace thermo. He said if that dont work its new boiler time.

your on about the boiler...........

its airlocked then y the sounds of it and you pulled out the stat not the thermocouple and its boiling over?

your on about the boiler...........

its airlocked then y the sounds of it and you pulled out the stat not the thermocouple and its boiling over?

Yeah sorry stat.

Where the cold feed tees, magnet is sticking to the pipe.

It hasn't been serviced for years. I had to cut the wallpaper as it had been stuck to the fire a long time ago.

Sounds like bad circulation problem , have u disconnected any fittings or pump Bleed to check colour of water ??

Sounds like bad circulation problem , have u disconnected any fittings or pump Bleed to check colour of water ??

I checked using the pump feed. Looks like oil coming out.

Last edited:
I'd give quick drain n have look at state of water in f n e tank.... defo circulation problem as sounds like overheating as water not moving and cutting out burner . Rads defo open ? Also is zone valve working properly ( if there is a zone valve). Try opening manually n feel how it opens whether freely or bunged up . Prob not but worth a look.

I'd give quick drain n have look at state of water in f n e tank.... defo circulation problem as sounds like overheating as water not moving and cutting out burner . Rads defo open ? Also is zone valve working properly ( if there is a zone valve). Try opening manually n feel how it opens whether freely or bunged up . Prob not but worth a look.

Thanks

F and E is murky to say the least.

No zone valve.

When I first arrived all I had was the pilot. The main burner would not light unless I put pilot out then relit but the burner would stay on for seconds only and could not get to relight.

Not sure why I was calling it a thermocouple but been corrected and it was the stat I meant. With the stat pulled out the boiler lights and stays alight. The pump is running, but not circulating at all, the heat is going straight up the vent pipe. Very old system, the rad valves are ancient. The pump looks newish and I have a feeling that the cust changed it themselves as when he called me about the job it was pump this, pump that. There is a 15mm ISO on the cold feed just above the tee near the boiler too.

I think it's a one pipe system too.

There's your problem lol its a one pipe system . Big upgrades coming up me thinks lol.

New system as TBH by the sounds of the state of the system and old valves etc the customer is gonna be throwing money into an empty pit so maybe time to bite the bullet . Good luck mate.

Some of the older tee blocks were made of steel !

They would be magnetic ( if it's one of those ).

How do you know the pump is running ?

circulation problem then, air lock/run dry!

pump on right way?
pipes blocked?

its going to be a days work lol

Some of the older tee blocks were made of steel !

They would be magnetic ( if it's one of those ).

How do you know the pump is running ?

The pump is spinning, I checked. The pump isn't very old.

It's copper pipe.

The cust has said the ch barely gets used as they sit with the fire on. Said the ch has been getting worse.

circulation problem then, air lock/run dry!

pump on right way?
pipes blocked?

its going to be a days work lol

I'll be up there tomorrow from 9 onwards, will be a busy day.

The cust is very laid back, he has already said it probably should have been upgraded by now. I'm going to do the pipe work tomorrow but doubt I'll get a stat from anywhere in time.

As REDSAW. Said check pump is in the right way round first,
Some older system had non return valve in to prevent heating rads by gravity, ( when pump off),

As REDSAW. Said check pump is in the right way round first,
Some older system had non return valve in to prevent heating rads by gravity, ( when pump off),

Pump is on the correct way, I just checked the manual and it's set up as manual shows.

The pump is reasonably new. Gate valves not.

I have a feeling the cust was having circulation problems a lot longer than they have let on and replaced the pump themselves.

Drained heating this morning, blocked cold feed.

Thought I'd change the pump valves as well, turns out one of them had seized almost completely shut although it was wound fully open.

It gets better, heard a strange noise then a load of black sludge and some water runs out of the fireplace. Assume it's the heat exchanger has died.

Should be putting a combi in next week.

You changing the whole system Ash , or it sounds like it needs a really good flush

You changing the whole system Ash , or it sounds like it needs a really good flush

That's the good bit. I've recommended complete system, customer just wants boiler....for now due to cost. I have said I can do that, but any issues as a result of old pipe work and rads will have to be dealt with accordingly and I can't guarantee they will be ok. He's fine with and said "if one or 2 radiators needs changing we will have to".

I will be starting a new thread including pictures today about the change over, there's one or 2 things I need to check.

Edit: yes will definitely getting a good flush.

Last edited:

That's the good bit. I've recommended complete system, customer just wants boiler....for now due to cost. I have said I can do that, but any issues as a result of old pipe work and rads will have to be dealt with accordingly and I can't guarantee they will be ok. He's fine with and said "if one or 2 radiators needs changing we will have to".

I will be starting a new thread including pictures today about the change over, there's one or 2 things I need to check.

image.jpg

The ventilation was all blocked too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi bermuda pw3. Help on job now in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock