1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Bathroom ventilation in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

Hello all!

Im looking for some advice on bathroom ventilation. My bathroom tends to get misted up, esp the windows, due to other people using it and not opening the windows to let the humidity clear. I have windows on two aspects and a PIR bathroom fan which is really good. However I still get a lot of condensation on the windows which then pools on the window sills and over time, causes black mould to form on the grouting. Does anyone have a great strategy to keep a bathroom well ventilated? I`m currently thinking a second PIR fan would be the way forward.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Stick the fan on constantly after the shower for about an hour

3. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

Thankyou Shaun and HNY!

lol yeah but i`m not there most of the time. the fan is great, runs on a pir with 20 minute overrrun. I think i need to fit a second fan as well, maybe over the bath. I can`t be the only one with a steamy bathroom. as you know steam/condensation lead to mould and that blackens the grout. I was thinking of maybe PSV. Does anyone else have that?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

In order to extract air, you need a supply of air to replace it.

5. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

Plenty of adventitious air. :)

6. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

what i want is something that will minimise the moisture/humity in the bathroom, automatically because other people forget or don`t bother to open the windows. Has anyone tried moisture reacting fans?

7. Masood

Masood Guest

Fit a fan with humidistat.

• Like Like x 2
  8. turnpin

turnpin Trusted Plumber

Beat me to it Mas ...great minds and all that...lol regards Turnpin:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

First Attack it from the other side of what causes humidity. Increase the ambient temperature of the room to above 21c with , if you have double glazing fit a trickle vent and leave it open or crack open the window on the second lock. install a remote high flow in line fan to get the moisture laden air away quickly.

http://www.nationalventilation.co.uk/datasheet_file_62.pdf

• Like Like x 3
  10. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

Thankyou RM. Im trying not to lose too much heat but ventilate the bathroom at the same time! Going to check out that link.

I did get a quote to put a second PIR fan in, but the electrician said it would be starting cost £250, which I thought was a bit steep for a straightforward job!

Thankyou.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  11. Masood

Masood Guest

Training. Registration. Insurance. Van. Stock. Fuel.

I'm gobsmacked to read your comment TBH. It's something we hear on a daily basis and bang our heads against the wall because customers are ignorant and don't know the costs of running a business.

I never thought a tradesman would have that view.

• Like Like x 4
  12. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

well its very simple. im comparing it to what the existing fan cost to install. So thats my view.

I know people should just take the first quote they get, even if it seems excessive but me being skint, I have to manage my money.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  13. Masood

Masood Guest

I didn't suggest that. Don't put words in my mouth. Get other quotes, it would be stupid not to. But don't denigrate other professions by saying their job is straightforward so not worth what they quote. Unless you can do the job yourself, your opinion of its value is irrelevant. Price is set by the supplier and regulated by competition. The buyer does not dictate what the seller can charge.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017