Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom renovation and I need to change my rad. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm going to have my bathroom renovated and that includes changing my rusty old rad for a towel rail. I wanna cut down the costs as much as possible so there's things I want to do myself. In order to change the rad I'll have to turn off the lock shields then slowly drain the rad.

The thing is the pipework will need altering once the floor tiles are up so I'll need to drain the CH system anyway.

I have a combi boiler so if I turn the flow and return off from beneath the boiler the hot water should still work.

But the question is if I drain the system the pressure will go down so what do I do? Do I drain then top up the pressure then turn the flow and return off? Or do I have to just drain, quickly install towel rad and pipework and repressurise boiler?

The hot water needs the heating circuit to function. You can't just turn the flow and return off under the boiler.

Drain the heating system, alter the pipework and then refill. In that time you will be without hot water but it should be less than a days work

To be honest if you have the new towel rail there, a plumber would get this done in a couple of hours - so why not just pay that as part of the job - it won’t add much to the cost.

Reply to Bathroom renovation and I need to change my rad. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock