Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Mixer Tap Cartridge Replacement - Struggling Newbie! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, newbie to this forum, and plumbing in general. I'm attempting to fix a leaky mixer tap in the bathroom (hot tap). So far I've been able to isolate the hot water supply, get the tap head off (small alan key) and am now left with the job of -I think - unscrewing the fitting behind it under the red X in the photo:

Inked36939059154_1d6c2bb912_z_LI.jpg

It doesn't want to budge though, I bought a strap wrench and have nearly broken the thing trying to twist the fitting (marked in red below) to get at the cartridge top (?). Do I need to try harder, which way do I turn it, or am I missing something here? Sorry for my inexperience :( and thanks! Additional comment: the strap wrench was slipping so I taped around the fitting, but even then the grip didn't seem great...Edit: I also sprayed copious amounts of WD40 in and on the fitting (tried to get it into the join beside the red line above). Closer look:

37651161491_b25f50bc11_z.jpg

Last edited:
It turns anticlockwise and can be quite difficult if in a hard water area. I normally protect the chrome and use a good set of grips. Good luck.

Always a pain bud bit if heat might help but then you need to grip it and risk damaging the chrome bit of trail and error really. Kop

Looking at the image you sent down the shroud, I'm of the opinion that this is unsavable. What's happened is the O-rings on the cartridge stem have been letting by and the zinc shroud has corroded to the brass of the cartridge. You will destroy it as you get it off.
Sorry, but, this time, it's a new tap. One word of advice, look for a brass tap, one that says it's made of brass. Most aren't. With brass you'll be able to keep it going for years and years with a bit of TLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bathroom Mixer Tap Cartridge Replacement - Struggling Newbie! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock