Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Bathroom extractor fans? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Hi all. Im just wondering what fans you guys install on your bathroom installs and whether you get a sparky in? Whats the deal with the fans that go up into the loft? Do all of them have to go outside due to condensation? Advice apreciated guys.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Vent axia

And yes as bathrooms are notifiable unless you use an inline one

And direct outside either via the wall or ducted through the soffit or roof

• Like Like x 2
  3. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

100% agree with Shaun.

Personally I gave NEVER fitted anything other than axial fans. No other moves enough air to do the job of clearing and reducing condensation. My rule of thumb is to test a fan with a sheet of A4 paper. If it doesn't 'grab' it there is not enough flow.

Energy regs may advise a lesser flow, but mould growth and long term damage is a far far less price to pay.

FWIW, mount the grill in the shower cubicle so air is drawn through it and helps dry it out. Leave a 10mm gap under the door and explain to customers that they must leave windows SHUT whilst the fan is on to encourage air to be drawn through the space. Air movement is often counter-intuitive.

Lastly, I NEVER screw the fan down. Mine all sit on folded up insulation to dampen sound. Screwing down transmits noise - period. My method you just get 90% air noise only.

4. ShaunCorbs

Here's some tech for you,

For a bathroom you want around 5-8 air changes per hour

And around 60m3/h extraction

• Like Like x 2
  5. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Personally, I find that too little for long term effectiveness. Over time flow drops off as blades and ducting become dirty and resistance to flow doubles. By over speccing flow, you get an effective system between annual blade cleans (more like every 2 yrs realistically).

The minimum regs requirement is far too little to be genuinely useful IMO.

6. ShaunCorbs

:D I'm yet to meet a person / homeowner who cleans there fan

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Member

Agree with most of the above , plus a lot of fans need a 3A fuse which adds complications to the install.

I recommend people have high pressure fans and most of the fan / light combinations are rubbish.

NB: the longer the run of the ducting, the less effective the fan becomes ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ShaunCorbs

How does a fcu add to the complexity of the instal ?

9. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Thanks for the advice guys. Is there any guidance solely relating to regulations we need to adhere to as plumbers?

10. Murdoch

Murdoch Member

Part F of the building regs...

11. Murdoch

Murdoch Member

Even adding a fan needs proper testing as you are changing the electrical installation, a certificate issued and in some cases part P notification competed.

12. ShaunCorbs

Yes minor works cert etc

13. S.P.S.

S.P.S. GSR

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

Kair heat recovery unit. Best fan for any bathroom . you can’t go wrong with this one. No chance of mound

15. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

talking of bathroom fans i used to do some work for a guy who installed bathroom adaptations for manchester. they made him have agas safety inspection on all his jobs because the bathroom fan had been fitted. i think belts and braces form someone in the dept.

• Funny Funny x 1