Search the forum,

Discuss Bath waste problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

monika

Hi all, I am after a bit of advice as I am a complete ignorant on the subject of plumbing and drainage.
Just had a bath fitted, unfortunately the bath waste was directed to the gutter which resulted in an overflow and spillage all over the patio area and extension wall. The existing waste pipe travels from the bathroom under the extension roof and down the gutter but in the past it served a small mobility wet room and the waste flow was not as rapid as from the bath. Remedial suggestion was to drill a hole in external wall to put a new waste pipe with connection to soil stack just under the bathroom window or extend the existing pipe to reach the stack. Just need to mention, the soil stack is a bit far away from existing bath waste pipe and there is a gutter in the way. Are there any pros and cons to these two solutions? Also worth mentioning that the sink waste is going to be connected to the bath waste. Just worried it might cause some problems with unpleasant odours.
I would appreciate any opinions and guidance on the subject. Thank you.

Sink and bath waste must not be connected together but run separately into stack, or yes, you will get odour problems.

Check building regs / Approved Codes of Practice as all waste pipe standards are detailed there - someone on here will probably know as I can't be bothered to look it up.

Thanks for your reply and yes, I thought the same. But the bathroom fitter claims he has 20 years experience and fitted sinks this way and allegedly nobody complained of bad odours so far. But as you said it is going to cause problems.

There's two ways of doing the job - the right way or the wrong way.

When you say sink do you mean wash basin (sinks are in kitchens). if its a wash basin the rule of thumb is they should be connected to the size bigger than the biggest ie bath waste 1.5". then both into a final stretch of pipework thats 2"( which in the trade is called a 2 inch float) into the stack. also make sure the bath trap isnt a shallow one if connecting to soil because it can be pulled and you will have smells then. also if any waste is under the floor or inaccessible ask him to use solvent weld rather than push fit..good luck and keep us posted...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, by sink I mean wash basin, thanks for correcting me. I will keep you posted on the progress.
I heard there is a device stopping water being pulled from the basin trap when the basin waste is connected to bath waste?

I'm afraid there isn't. Some people fit anti siphon traps but this is a bodge up and not always successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath waste problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi could anyone give advice please ? I went to look at a new build for sale they are apartments/ one house on top of another all properties will be privately owned by individual buyers, a guy on-site pointed out that the plumbing is wrong on the properties as a perspective buyer I’d like to know...
Replies
Views
Afternoon, our bath waste pipe in our rented property has started leaking slightly when we shower. We've narrowed it down to a loose screw in the centre of the plughole. My understanding is that this screw being loose means that water is able to leak out between the bath waste and the waste...
Replies
Views
Total refit of of bathroom. I've got a 40mm waste from the shower running beneath the floorboards to an external wall and out. Just above where the pipe exits is where the obvious place for the bath waste to exit as well. Should I use separate waste pipes for the bath and the shower or can the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Installing 2 new bathrooms, property only had 1 bathroom and the waste went into a cast iron soil stack which has now been replaced. I really don't want to notch the joist to get the waste out. I was thinking can I run the waste connected together to the outside in 40mm? So the bath...
Replies
Views
C
Hello all, I'm preparing an estimate for a bathroom renovation in a block of flats. As always I'm trying to flag up / plan for and cost as many possible unknowns as possible in advance. One thing that I've not seen before is the ~50mm pipework connecting into the soil stack (see picture). My...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock