Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Bath Stand & Thermostatic Mixing Valve in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Merciless

Merciless New Member

Hi All

Recently moved into a new build and found that the hot water in the bath is lukewarm - So pretty useless for a bath :)

Pinged over the developer who told me I need to go under the bath and adjust the Thermostatic Mixing Valve - However, I've taken a look and found a couple of things:

1) The mixing valve is pointing right up against a wall pointing away from the bath side - so impossible to actually see or reach easily
    2) I used my phone to take a picture by reaching my hand through of the valve, it doesn't look like there's any simple way of turning it
    3) I also noticed the bath stand seems to be resting on broken bits of concrete!

It's only a 2 year old property (I bought off-plan) so wanted to check the experts view here on whether a) the bath stand is safe the way it is and b) how the heck I'm meant to turn the valve.

Appreciate the help! Pictures attached BathStandConcrete.jpg BathStandFloor.jpg MixingValve.png

Mixer.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I wouldn't say the legs are right on what look like tiles also you adjust the blending valve you need an Allen key adjust it one way to see if it gets colder or hotter and go from there (if it goes colder need to turn the opposite direction)

3. Merciless

Merciless New Member

Thanks for this - It must be a bloody big allen key that's needed? Do you know what size it would be from the pic?

Regarding the legs - if that's a serious mistake then I'll need to speak to the developers about getting that rectified. Pretty shocked to see broken tiles being used to support a couple of the legs.

4. ShaunCorbs

10-12 mm but some used different sizes (normally there's a cap with the Allen key shape in the top)

5. Merciless

Merciless New Member

Unfortunately no size on the cap (just the temp range) - it's a pretty useless cap really!

Will try and get a couple and see what I can do. Thanks again!

6. ShaunCorbs

Does it say a brand ?

7. Merciless

Merciless New Member

The only word on there is "Instinct" and then the temperature range basically - But googling doesn't reveal much for me with that.

8. ShaunCorbs

Grey top ? I've heard that before

9. Merciless

Merciless New Member

Yup - grey top, you know it!

10. ShaunCorbs

Inta should be 8mm Allen key you need and as you look at the key part need to go anti clockwise to increase

So when your looking from the front under the bath you need to turn clockwise

11. Merciless

Merciless New Member

Fantastic - Thanks for the quick response. Will give this a go.

Regarding the tiles then, is it worth me kicking up a fuss with the developer about these broken tiles being used to keep the bath stable? I imagine it could turn into a bit of an argument.

12. ShaunCorbs

Upto you but they need replacing with some ply else worse case the bath could drop if they split