Discuss Bath problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I thought I would try all you experienced plumbers as I am fairly new in the game and I would like some help for future reference

I was working in a very small bathroom, the bath is plastic and connected by two small brackets to the wall. I needed to replace the bath taps but could not get to the cold tap to disconnect as there was about 6 inches of space between the bath (tap end)and the wc which meant I had to pull the bath out to get at the taps/. However I could not unscrew the screw connected to the bracket nearest the taps as I could not see it and could not reach under the bath.

In the end I disconnected the other bracket and eased the bath out about an inch but needed the client to hold the bath up while I crawled under it to unscrew it from the bracket.

Can anyone think of a better and easier way as I am sure you guys have come across these problems?

Also there is a plastic strip which goes under the bottom tiles and extends on to the lip of the bath along the wall. This is now damaged, slightly bent? Are they easy to replace or will it mean losing a number of tiles, or would it be best just to silocone it

thanks

Paul

each install is different and i ts just a case of looking at it and thinking hows it best to over come this

Often you will need the assistance of a customer as you only have two hands

Sounds like you did what you could tho and changed the tap

Have you got jaw droppers or a crows foot as you may have been able to do it then

in regards to the pplastic strip i would just silcone the bath to the tiles

Make sure you fill it full of water first tho

Get a stanley knife and cut the plastic strip off right back to behind the tiles so you have a nice gap between the bath and tiles to squirt silicone into.

next time take out the toilet, its easier and less hassle.
experience comes with thinking.

HI Guys

thanks very much

very helpful, as you say experience is the key

as regards the plastic strip, it feels like there is metal in it, that is why is is bending out of shape but may be better to cut that and silocone it as you have suggested

regards

Paul

HI Guys

thanks very much

very helpful, as you say experience is the key

as regards the plastic strip, it feels like there is metal in it, that is why is is bending out of shape but may be better to cut that and silocone it as you have suggested

regards

Paul

there shouldn't be metal in it. I would cut it off and either silicone the bath or get some quad bead from upvc merchant and fit that around edge to finish it off, this idea is better if your not very good at silicone as you just roughly run around edge with silicone and push the bead onto it to provide seal.

The strip you mentioned is usually fitted before tiling is done and lips up the wall so you wouldn't get it off without taking bottom row of tiles off.:eek:

hope this helps

Thanks for your reply, you were right, there was no metal on the plastic strip. In the end I cut it with a hacksaw and replaced the gap with a special plastic bath strip and silicone, which looks quite good

thanks for all your help, I learnt a lot of useful info

regards

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock