Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Bath leaks when emptying - from this box? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. BathtimeMatt

BathtimeMatt New Member

The dining room has shown water leakage from the bathroom above. Filling didn't do anything, spraying around the connections and overflow did nothing. When emptying the bath though, water looked like it was coming out of the box attached to the flow pipe under the plug, possibly where a cable was connected to it. Not sure what this is and what the switch does on the side of it (didn't seem to really switch) but water looks to be coming out of it when a full bath empties.

Any help much appreciated - I have an image but it won't upload.

2. BathtimeMatt

BathtimeMatt New Member

bathbox.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chester

Chester Member

is it a spin the overflow to pop the plug up type?

4. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

Thats a spin to operate the plug variant. Need a new one.
    Try plumbcenter, now Wolseley item -
    Deva pop-up bath waste 1.1/2" Chrome Plated - Product Code: C43279.
    Nice quality item.
    Should have no probs with that one,
    Hope it helps,
    Andy

5. BathtimeMatt

BathtimeMatt New Member

Hi, yes it's that type. Initially, I thought it was a deep bath leaking through the overflow but it only seemed to leak when the plug opened and dripped constantly til the bath was three quarters empty.

Thanks Andy - are they easy to fit for a diy nightmare? I'll Youtube it - thanks for the help.

6. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

They are pretty simple really.

Strip out old bits & trial dry install new item to check fit.

Hardest part i find is getting hands up around overflow to replace that section.

I always clean up mating surfaces on bath for overflow & plug drain opening & lightly silicone the seals on both replacement parts prior to installation.

Then its just tightening up of parts & alignment with existing waste pipe.

Should be instructions with new item, hopefully not chinesenglish....

Andy

7. BathtimeMatt

BathtimeMatt New Member

Thank you, really appreciate it - part ordered.

8. BathtimeMatt

BathtimeMatt New Member

Hello again. So we installed the new plug and overflow. It leaked slightly from the underneath connector so I unscrewed it tonight as it looked like it was screwed in slightly wonky. Re-tightened it and it leaks more now even though it looks correct. What I don't get is it leaked a little even when plug is down (could be from initial tap running test?)? But emptied a bath tonight and had to have a towel under the pipe due to heavy dripping. It seems to be coming from the white turning part of the pipe?

9. BathtimeMatt

BathtimeMatt New Member

Here's a pic...thanks for any advice.

pipeleak.JPG

10. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR

Did you silicone inbetween the bath and the new waste?

• Like Like x 1
  11. BathtimeMatt

BathtimeMatt New Member

Yes, we siliconed between plug and bath and underneath siliconed twice - between the main black unit and the rubber seal that came with it and between the seal and the underside of the bath.
    I was thinking if we hadn't done that bit properly, it'd be leaking through the black unit but it doesn't appear to be?

12. leelister6

leelister6 Plumber GSR

Check there's a black rubber seal between the white trap and black waste. Would guess it's either missing, or chewed up when its been put on cross threaded. Don't think you can buy em separately so get a new trap and don't cross thread the nut when fitting

• Like Like x 1
  13. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR

It looks like it’s leaking from above that mate. I would remove all silicone and start again

14. leelister6

leelister6 Plumber GSR

Yeh, could be right. Not a lot of light in the pic but zooming in it looks like there's a drip between bath and waste. The blue roll test should make sure

• Funny Funny x 1