Search the forum,

Discuss Basin tap pipe options in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benwmbc

Hi all, I've got to change the taps for our small bathroom basin, the pipework comes through the wall and up to the taps, and is quite short. Is there an option to fit flexible hose as the shortest I could find is 300mm, which would mean it would have to have a coil in it, if it is flexible enough to do this? I also wanted to put an isolation valve in, which would just fit on the vertical part, but I don't think I could then use flexible hose. If anyone as any suggestions to what would be best, I wanted to use flexible hose as I believe it would be easier to do the job, and wanted an isolation valve foe whenever the taps have to be changed in the future. Thanks in advance.
IMG_4240.jpg

Use a bent ballofix and you should be able to coil the flexi to suit. I would use a 1/2" x 1/2" flexi then take the nut off the outlet side of the ballofix if you are tight for space.

Thank you again for your advice, I didn't know you could get the bent valves. This I think should work, I will buy the flexible hose from a local shop so I can see it will coil.

Why don't you just use the tap connector that is there? Your new taps will connect

I've read that the taps thread length can be of different lengths, the current ones are about 10 years old, unless they are more standard in nowadays. The new taps are of 50mm length, it's hard to measure the length of the current ones due to them still being installed, of course it's possible they could be the same.

I've read that the taps thread length can be of different lengths, the current ones are about 10 years old, unless they are more standard in nowadays. The new taps are of 50mm length, it's hard to measure the length of the current ones due to them still being installed, of course it's possible they could be the same.

They will be the same length. The old taps that had longer threads were made about 50 years ago! What you read was just talking about really old taps.
Just remember you need to replace any washers on your tap fittings

As Chalked said just pop the taps straight in. If you do want isolators you can go for straight ones.

ae235.jpg

Or bent ones

yorkshire-fittings-genuine-ballofix-isolating-valve-angle-pattern-15mm-x-15mm-p22137-9749_medium.jpg

Flexies coiled up will look pretty rough. Williams & Co. One of our our forum sponsors Sell 150mm Flexies but I think that they'll still be too long.

They will be the same length. The old taps that had longer threads were made about 50 years ago! What you read was just talking about really old taps.

Great, thank you for the information :smile5:

Great, thank you for the information :smile5:

As Chalked said just pop the taps straight in. If you do want isolators you can go for straight ones.

View attachment 28915

Or bent ones

View attachment 28916

Flexies coiled up will look pretty rough. Williams & Co. One of our our forum sponsors Sell 150mm Flexies but I think that they'll still be too long.

I agree the flexies won't look great and the 150mm would be too long, I think for now I will just fit the new taps without flexible hoses but may fit the straight isolation valves. Thanks.

Unless you are very very short I doubt if you would see a flexi.

Use straight Iso valves.

You should be able to cut the valve in the vertical copper pipe low enough to be able to adjust the height to the tap threads if required.
Leave at least 25mm pipe up from the elbow to give enough room for the olive and nut.
Clean the paint off.
New washer on the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basin tap pipe options in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A simple procedure has turned difficult. I am trying to disconnect a floor-mounted bidet so I can change the click clack waste. All is straightforward apart from disconnecting the two flexible hoses to the mixer tap. I had expected the two isolators to make this easy but was unable to turn the...
Replies
Views
Help / advice please? I have attached pics I want to fit a new basin tap. The new tap came with flexible hose. Q1. Pic 1 - the fitting into the tap is recessed - how do I screw in the hose tight enough to 'fit' ? Q2. Pic 2 - shows the current hose fitted to the copper pipe and clearly the new...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use a push fit tap connector instead which will give me more flexibility in fitting?
Replies
Views
I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if the turn the tap fully on the noise stops. I have replaced the flexible hoses to both taps and fitted in-line isolation valves. The noise is now...
Replies
Views
Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I doing reading those!), it reccommends connecting to the inlet and outlet using SS braided flexible hoses. Nothing wrong there me thinks. I dropped...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock