Search the forum,

Discuss Basic tools and which are best in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Lee

Hi,

Ive just started my level 2 Guilds, already signed up for level 3 and then I'm hoping to do the gas. I want to build my basic tools up over this period. Can you recommend what tools i should get as a basic kit, which ill use at college instead of their rusty old rubbish. And which make/brand do you guys recommend

Many thanks in advance

gaz

just buy the best you can afford for now, try avoiding the really cheap stuff or you'll just be replacing it shortly there after. so if ou can afford draper kit fine for now, avoid britool or snapon its only an expensive name. siverline will do, but yoll be asking for replacements if your kack handed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The following are ones I find handy:

Bahco 4"
Bahco 6" Wide Jaw
Bahco 8" Wide Jaw
Bahco Micro Socket Set
Elecky Screwdriver
Set of Allen Keys
PH1 and PH2 Screwdrivers
PZ1 and PZ2 Screwdrivers
T15 Torx for Glowworms
T30 Torx for Viessmanns
A couple of sizes of flat Screwdrivers
Pump Allen Keys Long Reach x 2
Large Pump Screwdriver
Head Torch
A digital pressure gauge
Expansion Vessel Pump
Multimeter
A selection of hoses

Those I use on a daily basis, I have lots more stuff but that's the most used.

I do servicing, gas safety certificates and breakdowns, depending on the work you do the tools might vary.

Bahco adjustable spanners (small, medium, large)
Knipex pump pliers (small, medium)
Wera Kraftform screwdrivers (full electrical set)
Britool medium socket set & Teng mini socket set.

Other various bits/pieces ie. allen keys, stanley knife etc etc.

If you buy decent quality from the start you may never need buy again. (unless lost/stolen)
My large bacho is 40 years old and was parts of my fathers first tool kit as a new apprentice. Still very little play in jaws.

Not forgetting 3 sets of pump pliers small, medium and large.

You forgot the hammer, fixes a lot of things.

Oh yes and a very large and heavy hammer preferably a sledge hammer when it's still not playing ball after a pcb, gas valve, fan and pump to mention a few lol

Your main tools like already suggested, bahco shifters , grips , pliers hammer , basin wrench , pipe cutters , junior hacksaw , flat head n pozi screwdriver ,ruler, pencil , stanley knife ,,, thats just the basic ones youd use as starting off, and as you progress so will your tools, just remember when it comes to tools the cheap ones break lol

I would NOT take your own tools to college, everyone will want to lend them and they will go missing

A pack of matches,small pot of fairy liquid and screwdriver,chisel,crowbar,hole making, scrapper,scouring devise maybe........

I have a use it every day open tote bag with the following.

8 inch Bahco wide jaw, 6 inch Bahco wide jaw, 2 x 12 inch you will come off adjustable Spanners.
Wera assorted screwdrivers, pozi 2,3 plus small slotted and large slotted.
hammer and adjustable basin wrench. Small Bahco hacksaw/padsaw.
drill bits kit x 4. Bahco small wrench/bit set. Stanley knife. Snap rings with radiator keys, small adjustable wrench and mult function four way key. Cranked screwdrivers and tape measure.

Then I have another eight bags of stuff overflowing with kit I use on a less frequent basis and don't get me started on what's in the garage.....

Footprints 7" and 10" for most of the brass nuts where slight grip marks won't matter on day to day plumbing. You can get the type with different bolt positions (thumbscrew bolt needs removed each time to adjust them) or a thumbwheel version.

I use

15/22/28 pipeslice (not rothenberger as I got through 1 of each size in about 6 weeks)
Mini pipe cutter
Bahco wide jawed adjustable spanner (2 is ideal)
Bahco grips (10" as the grips are quite small so easier to get into tight spaces)
Crescent 12" grips
Wera screwdriver set
Voltage tester
Monument tap wrench (without a spring, you will hate it when you first get it after 7-8 years you will spend hours trying to find out what make they are so you can replace them.

Then cheap
Long nose pliers
Wire cutters
Stanley knife
Junior hacksaw
Wood chisel (a couple of sizes, I only buy cheap due to the amount of nails I hit)
Hammer
Cold chisel

If you do a lot of taps you need mono bloc spanners.

my tip would be to always have a pencil, tape measure and a Stanley knife on you, if you get some work experience on you it will show willing if you have these on you nothing worse than an apprentice asks you to borrow these all time!! I don't really like it when a beginner turns up with a new tool box with all new tools in first day. use somebody elses wrench etc first and see how you like it

I be lucky if my apprentice bring a vent key ,, winds me up when I give them mime , then they lose that one ,

On the subject of start up tools, which is the best budget hose pipe to get for drain downs? I know some of you are sweet on the Regin but at ÂŁ50 it's a bit pricey when you are filling a tool box as well.

Get one from B&Q or similar, chances are it will get cut up driven over pin holed so don't spend too much.

I use wilco garden hose pipes at the min got a 50m cut down 2 10m and a 30m had them about a year now and they are fine for me

Box spanners, every size you can get, best tool in the world

On the subject of start up tools, which is the best budget hose pipe to get for drain downs? I know some of you are sweet on the Regin but at ÂŁ50 it's a bit pricey when you are filling a tool box as well.

Any hose pipe will do, just get one that's long enough and make sure you coil it up so it dosnt kink oh and a handful of jubilee clips too

This is a great cheap set for starting out!
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-general-tool-kit-47-piece-set/84541

Its an absolute bargain when most toolbags are 20 quid on their own, you get a great bag with almost all basic tools..
I got this 2 years ago and complemented it with grips, adjustables, rad ratchet, plastic pipecutters & pipeslices. The bag and all forge steel tools are still in great shape after daily use. You really neednt spend a fortune at this stage.

Just bought drain down hose from ray ( Williams & co ) good value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basic tools and which are best in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock