Search the forum,

Discuss Ball valve adjustment methods and/or tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical scenario -- you need to lower (or raise) the water level in the cold water tank in the loft. If the ball valve feeding the tank has the very common straight brass arm to which the float is attached (with no adjusting screw), this means bending the brass arm a bit to get the ball a bit lower (or a bit higher) until the water is at the correct level.

I no longer have strong enough wrists or fingers to bend the arm by hand with it still in the tank (I did once!), especially if access is a bit tight, so how should I achieve these adjustments with the ball valve in place? It's easy if you remove the valve and bend it over your knee, or with wrenches, but I want to adjust it in the tank.

Any recommended methods guys? Any recommended tool(s)?

Last edited:
Wouldn't recommend you bend some of part 1 valve arms as the cheap ones have very strong "brass" arms that can snap & do you an injury. They snap off shaped like an arrow & you only make that mistake using your bare hands once!
My recommendation is to use a part 2 valve or a brass tail side entry Fluidmaster valve as these can be adjusted & are quieter - especially the Fluidmaster.
Shouldn't need to adjust the part 1 valves if they are fitted correct height to top of tank & o/flow.

Last edited:
Could try a set of micro bore benders on it I'd there is space. Should give you more leverage.

turn off the water take out the cotter pin carefully bend the arm put the arm and pin back in remembering to slightly open the pin to stop it falling out turn on the water job done , though the washer is probably worn which is why the wayer level is high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ball valve adjustment methods and/or tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. Minor issue I'd like to try and adjust before I call a plumber back out. I have mains water to the kitchen and to the water tank in the loft. 3 weeks following having a kitchen tap fitted by a plumber I was running a bath suddenly there was this loud pipe/plumbing noise and the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have water filtering system (reverse osmosis) installed with 2 outputs which use 1/4 outer diameter plastic pipes and push fit connectors. I have a kitchen tap with a single separate entry for filtered water. I would like to have a ball valve under the sink that would switch between 2...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock