Search the forum,

Discuss Bahco Spanners, what size? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonyk84

Hello all,

I'm going to buy a couple of Bahco spanners (wide jaw), as they are so highly rated on here.

I'm just wondering what sizes would I be best getting? I was thinking a 6" and 8"?

Any help is really appreciated, Thanks in advance!

i've got the 6" wide jaw and find them very useful in tight spaces

I have a 10" 8072, an 8" 9031, a 6" 9029 and a 6" 8070.
Perfect for me.

I've got the 10" wide reversable jaw in chrome.... Nice!

Also the standard 6" 8" and 12".

i have an 8inch wide jaw, which i have heard is above average? ;)

i also have 6,8,10,12 normal sized bacho's

I've got a 6" normal jaw, 8" normal Jaw, 10" normal jaw, 12" normal jaw and 8" wide jaw. I only use the 6" and the 8" wide jaw. There's absolutely no point in the 10", the 8" wide jaw is the best. You can get it in smaller spaces and it opens up to wider than the 12". The only problem I find is that the jaws aren't quite parallel so sometimes they get stuck on the nut. The 6" is great for little things such as drain cocks and lock shields.

i have to confess that i dont own any bacho shifters.....or footprints.....

Those 24" are over £150, you must be mad! I've got a pair or 4" ones, but my mate gave them to me after he took a grinder to them in order to undo a rounded off rad vent. He got them for free, so gave them to me afterwards.

Tbh my van is full to the brim of expensive tools, some rarely get used but when they do nothing else could do the job.

i used to use bahcos of all shapes and sizes then moved to irega, WJ and standard jaw as they are much better quality than bahco in my opinion. lately ive bought the ridgid boeing wrench, its about 10inches long and opens to 70mm also it holds the nut with on 3 sides so its less likely to slip, ive recently invested in 10 and 12inch knipex pliers wrenches these tools make adjustables obsolete really as they dont allow any movement at all on the fitting and have massive jaw capacity.

i used to use bahcos of all shapes and sizes then moved to irega, WJ and standard jaw as they are much better quality than bahco in my opinion. lately ive bought the ridgid boeing wrench, its about 10inches long and opens to 70mm also it holds the nut with on 3 sides so its less likely to slip, ive recently invested in 10 and 12inch knipex pliers wrenches these tools make adjustables obsolete really as they dont allow any movement at all on the fitting and have massive jaw capacity.

The Rigid wrench does look impressive, I was thinking of getting a bahco 9035 but not sure now.

How can Irega be 'so much better' than Bahco...?

I cant fault Bahco. :stooge_curly:

Agree the knipex waterpump smooth jaw, button pliers are good as is the boeing but bahco pee on irega all day long and i have owned/used both.

the boeing wrench is really handy for pump nuts and gas meter unions, i do alot of light commercial and their great up to 56mm compression fittings with the added bonus that it doesnt/cant slip because it grips the fitting on 3 sides and its easily used with one hand. the knipex is my fave because it is so versitile and grips better the harder you squeeze, the down side is the handles are bulkier than a single handle.

just to let you know i prefer the irega spanners to the bahco because the new bahcos made in spain have wobbly jaws and the jaws dont line up square to one and other where as the iregas are machined perfectly square with minimal jaw wobble, and the phosphate and chrome finnish is far better than bahco.since snap-on bought bahco and moved production of adjustables into the irimo factory ive noticed the quality slip.

the boeing wrench is really handy for pump nuts and gas meter unions, i do alot of light commercial and their great up to 56mm compression fittings with the added bonus that it doesnt/cant slip because it grips the fitting on 3 sides and its easily used with one hand. the knipex is my fave because it is so versitile and grips better the harder you squeeze, the down side is the handles are bulkier than a single handle.

Thanks adam.

Still not sure what to get.

Bahco 9035 or Ridgid E110 ....?

Which is best?????

:thinking2:

the E110s smaller, easier to store and has larger capacity. oh and its a joy to use.

the E110 will work on any fitting that has parrarel opposite sides but not to the same capacity as on hex type fittings.

they are on my ever growing shopping list haha
get your self a pair of 7 inch thumbturn footprints they take a bit of getting used to as they only work in one direction but they lock on unlike pump pliers which rely on how strong your grip is

8" wide jaw Bhacos. I own four. So if I lose two, I still have two. I have no idea if quality has dropped in the last year or two, as I've had mine longer than that.

In short, as a domestic plumber, 90% of my work is done using my 8" wide jaw Bhacos. If not them, then its grips or stilsons.

I own about 20 adjustable spanners, and realised I was driving around with all these pointless tools. Its very well driving round with a 6,8,10,12" spanner selection.

However the clue is in the name. 'Adjustable' the jaws shift, so just get a size with a good ratio of leverage and comfort. I.E - 8" Bhacos.

I use mine so much its akin to picking up a knife and fork....your hands just know what to do with them.

I agree dannypipe, they are like a second skin sometimes. Footprints are good too though.

1 x 6" & 2 x 8" WJ Bahco's, 2 x knippex cobra push button water pump pliers (that are the mutts nuts by the wat), never once felt the need for more or different.

Thanks everyone, lots of useful info there!

Also what is the best size or sizes to get in the Knippex cobra water pump pliers?

Thanks!

Knippex pump pliers seem popular!

I've only used Rothenberger or Ck.

Which is best?
:party:

i've still got my cheap apprentice adjustable ones and other cheap tools ive still got, i have managed with them though but buying tools is like an addiction im constantly buying stuff !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bahco Spanners, what size? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock