Search the forum,

Discuss Bahco Adjustables poor quality! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leakeee

Iv been hunting around for ages for a 10" adjustable that does 28mm nuts and not one of those stupid slim
jaws that slip off on everynut!

i used to have one but it was stolen, apparently bahco dont make them anymore!

I bought one of the 9072p spanners which is so poor the jaw moves around, slides off and it only goes up to 30mm.

So iv given up on bahco and am now looking for a better make. What would you say are the best spanners around?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy one of the old bacho scanners off eBay, mines great quality, the new ones fall to bits

My Irwin vise grip is a pretty decent adjustable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

had heard alot of bacho stuff is now made in france and seems to have lost some quality?

I've not yet got an adjustable, but based on my other thread and other opinions on here it seems that the Bahco wide jaw or the Irega SWO range are the best out there, some folks have mentioned Crescent too......has anyone had all 3 or maybe 2 as a direct comparison?

I've not yet got an adjustable, but based on my other thread and other opinions on here it seems that the Bahco wide jaw or the Irega SWO range are the best out there, some folks have mentioned Crescent too......has anyone had all 3 or maybe 2 as a direct comparison?

i've got a crescent shifter somewhere with a sliding adjuster, used it once, load of s-hyte, i suppose everybody makes mistakes when buying tools though :sad_smile:

okaydokey, reckon will remove Crescent from my list of stuff then. Bahco or Irega it is then.

Iv been hunting around for ages for a 10" adjustable that does 28mm nuts and not one of those stupid slim

I bought one of the 9072p spanners which is so poor the jaw moves around, slides off and it only goes up to 30mm.

So iv given up on bahco and am now looking for a better make. What would you say are the best spanners around?

Cheers

if your spanner slips off nut then you have jaws the wrong way around

As far as adjustables go... Bahco are the dogs in my opinion. Used a lot of different types and find bahco the superior. If its a really tight nut or bolt the chances are a shifter won't budge it any road. Try using a correct size spanner ;-)

some old makes were as good if not better than bac's but most are not around anymore, my dad and grandfather had some very old tools many spanners etc... and they were working perfectly after 40-50 years. If you buy bacho adjustabes id recommend the chrome/silver ones as they dont suffer from rust like the black ones do. The do cost more tho.

Last edited:
well i have used everyday 12 inch bachos thats 5 year old and a 3 year old 10 inch they dont slip and are my main gear

Well dare I say it, I've been enjoying a set of homebase adjustables that I found at work. Good and sturdy, smooth action on the adjuster, comfortable to use... You'd never guess they were homebase. You can never tell though - I get fed up paying through the nose for rubbish. Sometimes the cheap ones are just as good if not better.

Well dare I say it, I've been enjoying a set of homebase adjustables that I found at work. Good and sturdy, smooth action on the adjuster, comfortable to use... You'd never guess they were homebase. You can never tell though - I get fed up paying through the nose for rubbish. Sometimes the cheap ones are just as good if not better.

Shame on you! :icon_bs:

I have bought a couple of new bahco shifters, and I find that the moveable part of the jaw wiggles quite a lot compared to the older ones that my mates have, and that the jaws are tighter at the end than deep into the wrench, which makes me adjust the spanner frequently to release it from the nut; very time consuming/annoying. These newer bahco ergo's do not have the stamp "made in sweden"

I agree. I only have the Swedish Bahcos but I lifted a new Bahco "shifter" (as I also call em!) in a plumbing suppliers & it just felt like cheap stuff. The adjustment screw gives the game away, as it seems poor - I knew straight away that it wasn't like the old Bahcos.

How long has the Bahco stuff been made outside of Sweden? is this fairly recently or been years already? As a newby to knowing a good adjustable to a crap one...what am I looking for when in the shop looking for a good one?

Dont think so !!!

Okay, I'll admit, it's not ideal but it's surprising what you'll find at the cheaper end of things. 99 times out of 100 it'll be crap, but if you like a tool then use it I say. Saying that, it would get expensive having to buy 99 tools. I'm a sucker for a false economy though :frown2: haha!

How long has the Bahco stuff been made outside of Sweden? is this fairly recently or been years already? As a newby to knowing a good adjustable to a crap one...what am I looking for when in the shop looking for a good one?

i read that they had moved some production to france a few years ago.

Got a new pair of 10" wide jaws the other week. Haven't got a clue where they were made and don't really care. They are just as good as my old ones.

Got a new pair of 10" wide jaws the other week. Haven't got a clue where they were made and don't really care. They are just as good as my old ones.

This is good to know, I really need to find a local shop that actually sell good tools and see/feel for myself what they are like....only have normal diy shops in my area.

This is good to know, I really need to find a local shop that actually sell good tools and see/feel for myself what they are like....only have normal diy shops in my area.

There's not enough good tool shops.
I used to travel about 15 miles to a good one in Ormskirk.
I recently called in to Toolstation. It's complete gash!

In my opinion, if they do not say made in Sweden on them, then they are not real Bachos, not of the same original quality anyway.

IMG_00000004.jpg

I lost one of them 8" ones above, i found them about a month later by the side of my garage after being in the wet damp mud all that time, with no rust at all, i know people who have the new black type and some with the rubber handles, that rust in their toolbox. You also hear of people trying to buff the tools up, when imo you shouldn't, oil them and leave them form a natural form of anodize (sp)

Same with your grips, leave them be, if you shine them up they will rust and your hands will slip off them.
IMG_00000005.jpg

I can't believe i also went so long without a dedicated 10mm pipe slice :icon10:

In my opinion, if they do not say made in Sweden on them, then they are not real Bachos, not of the same original quality anyway.

So what adjustables would you be looking at if you were needing a new pair? or would you get an old/used made in Sweden set?

toolstation sell a carbon copy of the wide jawed bahco spanners made by todays tools i have bought them and must say they're pretty good quality for what they cost£17 and almost on par with the old bahco, never liked bahco grips though always rothenberger for me.

Rothys for me but I'm going to try Knipex cobras when I renew

So what adjustables would you be looking at if you were needing a new pair? or would you get an old/used made in Sweden set?

I always go for the 06 series, which i have found out from that link above (great link LegionellaSlave:grin:) were produced between [FONT=&amp]1969 to 1983, these are the ones collectors go mad over. I have lost (probably got stolen) my 10 inch ones, which i replaced with the 8072 type (5th gen), you can just make out on the picture slight tarnish in comparison to the others.

Send this guy a message, [/FONT]
eBay My World - jafo_dd he will source you what you need for half the price for the rubbish what is on sale now

Cheers

I'm positive I've seen Bahco 10" in my local merchant's just recently. Do you want me to have a look and post you one if they've got it? I love mine, if they've stopped making them I'm going to get another just in case!

I recently bought an Irega adjustable when I lost my latest Bahco. Much prefer it. Wheel is slightly bigger, handle is much nicer, jaws smoother. Very nice.

These:

IREGA 8" (200mm) Super Wide 39mm Ergo Adjustable Wrench | eBay

Put them next to the 8" Bahcos and they are very similar apart from:
-The wheel is slightly bigger so you don't catch your thumb on the wheel housing around it.
-The handle is much nicer. Hardwearing, but is soft and warm feeling, and slightly springy.
-The jaw movement action seems a lot smoother than the Bahcos.

Apart from that it's identical. But the Irega is like someone sat down with an 8" Bahco and said 'Right, how can we make this even better'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bahco Adjustables poor quality! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
I want to replace the taps in a bathroom sink but im having trouble finding a tap wrench of the correct size: 1 - to fit the back nut. 2 - to get access under the sink behind the tails The back nut measures 37 AF and the tap tails are the fixed copper type which look fixed to the tap body...
Replies
Views
Hello I've seen a lot of posts on bahco adjustables but what has been boggling my mind is what are the differences between the 6071, 8071, 9071 ect ? As far as I know bahco are now owned by snap on who also make quality tools, are the modern spanners that bad? Please post your thoughts opinions...
Replies
Views
I am replumbing my lakeside hunting cabin (totally off grid, water from a well or the lake, solar power through a battery bank and now a large generator, place is wired throughout for12v and always has been. Now, with the addition of a generator and a scrounged hot water cylinderwith an...
Replies
Views
I am having a real problem with a leak that commenced a couple of months back re my folk’s WC. It is a straightforward Armitage Shanks low-level type (relatively old) that started leaking underneath the WC from the siphon connection. I took the thing apart and it appeared that the siphon sealing...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock