Search the forum,

Discuss Baffled by this system? Can't see a pump... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OGBUzzard

and the cylinder is on the same level as the bathroom. (2 bed flat all one floor). Am I being foolish or does the cylinder not always have to have a pump to feed hot taps? I'm sorting out the wiring with a 10 block connector strip but every wiring diagram has a pump and a boiler connection...? All i can do is wire it up with whats there and i cant see a pump...Any ideas?

Not quite understanding what you are trying to ask, No the cylinder does not need a pump to feed hot taps ! what sort of cylinder have you got ? is there a cold water tank in loft ?

There is a small tank directly above the cylinder which feeds it. Are you saying that the gravity from that tank pushes the hot water out the cylinder? I'm not an expert on wiring timers etc. The system seems to have been altered a few times and the "wiring centre" is an absolute state. So can I just leave out the pump connection from what the wiring diagram for the timer shows?

Has this flat got heating ? if so there will be a pump, What are you trying to wire up, a wiring centre points to a heating system, what gets the water hot ? are you just trying to fit a timer for the immersion heater , More information would be useful. What are you trying to do ???

Has this flat got heating ? if so there will be a pump, What are you trying to wire up, a wiring centre points to a heating system, what gets the water hot ? are you just trying to fit a timer for the immersion heater , More information would be useful. What are you trying to do ???

Yes heating is done by the vaillant the pump in there does the heating but the hot water is done by cylinder.

No not trying to wire immersion into timer mate just wire everything back up more neatly.

just wire what you have there. your 3-port valve switches between your hot water and heating and pump is in the boiler

Ok, so you have a system boiler, the pump is inside the boiler, this will supply both the heating & hot water, if your not very good with wiring, probably better to leave it alone B4 you do some damage, was there a problem with the system B4 you started pulling all the wiring out ? is there a problem with the hot water from the taps, why are you messing around with something that you seem to know very little about, you do know its 240 volts you are playing with ! Please if you are uncertain leave it alone.

Grave concerns that if you don't understand the basics you could be dealing with something that will bite you on the bum.

Guys don't worry I've worked as a sparkys mate before I have a fluke tester and a live wand too. I'm perfectly safe just not an expert at wiring centres. Thanks for your replies though. S noo what does the 3 port valve do if the boiler switches between heating and hot water? Essentially the question I was originally asking is why in all the wiring diagrams I look at does it have a pump in the system, and can I just omit it and connect up everything else.?

In answer to your question, you are looking at the wrong wiring diagram, you need to understand how the system works B4 you start messing around with it, and working as a sparky's mate means nothing, a lot of electricians cant wire up a heating system.

Guys don't worry I've worked as a sparkys mate before I have a fluke tester and a live wand too. I'm perfectly safe just not an expert at wiring centres. Thanks for your replies though. S noo what does the 3 port valve do if the boiler switches between heating and hot water? Essentially the question I was originally asking is why in all the wiring diagrams I look at does it have a pump in the system, and can I just omit it and connect up everything else.?
Because all modern day heating systems are fully pumped.

Thanks guys yes it is a y plan. While they were having plastering done in the area where the old wiring centre was I wired the boiler up with direct feed from a temp plug with flex on a 3a fuse. I switched the now powerless motor to open and they have been heating up hot water by switching heating on (all rads are off at valves) for an hour or so. I thought that the cylinder acts as another radiator in the system and it seems to be working for them. So at the moment they have all or nothing but at least they can have hot water for next 48 hrs or so..

In answer to your question, you are looking at the wrong wiring diagram, you need to understand how the system works B4 you start messing around with it, and working as a sparky's mate means nothing, a lot of electricians cant wire up a heating system.

Hi mate I'm looking at the Honeywell wiring diagram for the timer unit. According to all the bits in the cupboard its a y plan but without a pump. Every diagram in the guide has a pump included. So what I'm thinking is do I just wire it all back up according to this y plan diagram but just omit the pump from it?

When I said I worked as a sparkys mate I was just saying that I'm not going to blow everything up the fuse has been removed from the spur feeding the wiring centre. Not saying I'm an expert at wiring. That's why I'm looking for the help of an expert because I've not been able to find the answer I need so far...

No the pump that is in all the diagrams which isn't here in this system I'm working on

Well I was told the boiler pumped the hot water. That's the bit I didn't get. So the water is fed back to the boiler after the cylinder then pumped to the taps? Didn't realise it worked like that. Only reason I said it was a y plan is because that's all the parts that are here minus the pump. There is a boiler, a 3 port valve, a room stat, a cylinder stat, and a supply feed for power on a spur.

Do you know what an indirect system is?

Well its system that's fed off a tank isn't it? There is an immersion but its only there as a backup. A direct system is fed off the water main isn't it?

Well its system that's fed off a tank isn't it? There is an immersion but its only there as a backup. A direct system is fed off the water main isn't it?
I don't want to sound unhelpful, but you should take note of post 2 from Tamz. You obviously do not have enough experience to be carrying out this project; get a qualified person in to help you out.

I don't want to sound unhelpful, but you should take note of post 2 from Tamz. You obviously do not have enough experience to be carrying out this project; get a qualified person in to help you out.
Reg Man He's been told more than once that the pump is in the boiler, he seems to think that the pump is to supply water to the hot taps, (Must have fitted a shower pump in the past) knows nothing about heating systems or how to wire them, from what he is saying is only experience with electrics he as had, is carrying the electrician's tool bag, this guy is going to either blow the system or electrocute someone.

Yep one of my colleagues is coming down to the job in a few days he's ex British gas was with them for 20 years so he'll be able to sort it just thought I'd ask about whether the pump was needed. I will still wire it up as it was because it was working fine before. Thanks anyway guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baffled by this system? Can't see a pump... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock