Search the forum,

Discuss Backnut box spanner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
We all know that the standard tap backnut box spanner wont fit the brass 1/2" backnuts it just slips.

I've got round this problem by hammering down the end into an elongated hex shape, this provides a snug fit for the 1/2" brass nuts (new & old).

Then buy another backnut box spanner for the plastic ones.

I was struggling to remove some old supertaps so I took the spanner outside and hit it on the kerb with a hammer, once the spanner fitted they came off okay.

Just my 2 pence worth. ;)

did you hit out of frustration or did the light bulb come on over your head?;)

Actually I have got a box spanner that fits 1/2" back nuts and also one that fits 3/4" they took years and years to find.

I think they are a brand called Melco.

They are great, the cast crowsfoot spanners are not very good anymore. I even have one of those loose swinging arm Monument brand washbasin wrench's, but they are fiddly. Been looking at them thare bare hug things but they look too big on the head for most basins and I ain't likely to use that two spanned job Screwfix are selling for over £40. That is a lot of cash for tightening taps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silverline fit all the sizes perfectly and have never had a problem with this.

Is that Silverline stuff any good John? Only got one or two small things of theirs and never use them enough to find out if they are any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Backnut box spanner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock