Search the forum,

Discuss Back to welding this week in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
haven't done any for a few years but back to it this week
It's 2 1/2 gas main
IMG_2039.JPG Tack
IMG_2040.JPG Route
IMG_2041.JPG Cap

Millions of years ago before Mig welders were here , I used to gas weld car sills, chassis etc etc , laying on your side gas welding upside down with burning underseal dropping in your eyes and ears is a skill I NEVER want to go back to lol

Looking good grind before or after cap ?

Me personally I like to leave a bigger gap for the root 2-3mm (1/2 the rod thickness) find it ties in better and leaves a nice inside

You coded ?

I would like to do more but only done short bits over the last year / few

Think the last big job I did was a 3-4 reduced and then half a length of heavy

I might see if there is any decent money available and book myself in for test

I might see if there is any decent money available and book myself in for test

It's ok about the same as a domestic gas engineer (per hr) and other than tieing into your tacks a bit more your fine

Great, tidy clean job scotti...
I've done it few times during my apprenticeship and a little bit afterwards. Haven't done it for more than 8 years now. To be a good welder takes years of practice it ain't as easy. Do you need to do it over here when doing your apprenticeship ? We had to do it even in the praxis exams. Welding steel, pipe bending with sand, copper bending, everything had to be checked with high pressure.

Not lost your touch bud , nice to keep your hand in used to do alot when i was commercial but left all that behind now keep up the got work cheers kop.

What's the pipe supplying Scott ?

One boiler and one CHP engine, someone else is doing that though

Out of curiosity, where can you become qualified to do this? I realise that in this case experience is required! Keen to know what qualification is required to weld gas pipework and where you can undertake it.

Thanks!

A local welding collage / a local tech collage

There are different levels of qualification
Coded, ASME 9 and Class 2 off the top of my head
I did the lower - Class 2 and you had to retest every 3 years

I am starting a little plant room this week. 3x 120kw frame mounted strebel boilers and more welding.
Time to ask for a pay rise:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back to welding this week in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock