Search the forum,

Discuss Back to back meter move in Berkshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fogster74

Our gas meter is stuck in one corner of our lounge - the pipe (yellow polyethylene?) comes in through the wall, into the main isolating valve, a flexible corrugated steel hose goes into the meter and then the gas supply immediately exits the wall and runs up outside the house, where it re-enters and runs under the floor boards. I've attached a photo showing the gas pipe entering the house and then the copper supply to the house coming out the wall. The meter is simply on the wall the other side.

We want the meter moved outside - the yellow supply pipe is exposed, there would be virtually no replumbing required and it would hopefully be a really quick job. We really need the meter moving as we've plans for the area it's blocking - boxing it in etc is really a very poor option for us.

We've contacted Scotia (the network owner) and they want something like £800 to complete the work! An absurd figure and one we can't possibly justify. We also found an 'independent' company in London who are qualified to do it (Tanners Gas) but they wanted virtually the same.

Is there any cheaper way to do this - we're quite willing to pay £300 and would provide a semi-concealed meter box - does anyone have any thoughts on this? We're located between Reading and Oxford on the A329.
20120406_171612.jpg

You have no choice, the service pipe from the street to your meter belongs to Scotia.
It's either them or someone approved by them.

Only other option would be to pipe from the ECV to outside, then a secondary ECV and the meter. You'd still have to box in a bit of pipe inside but not as obtrusive as a meter.

be careful what gas meter box your buy also, get one that can have external pipework run into it by design some semi concealed cant. cutting a hole into a box is not allowed unless its designed to be so. Best to let the approved contractor sort it.

Wow - thanks all for your replies!

Only other option would be to pipe from the ECV to outside, then a secondary ECV and the meter. You'd still have to box in a bit of pipe inside but not as obtrusive as a meter.

Resolute - very interested by this, it could work perfectly! Who could do this, and what would it cost? Don't suppose you're ever near Reading?!

You'd have to find a gas safe engineer with MET1 certs. Or find a transco engineer willing to do it on the side.

Unfortunately I'm not near reading but I'm sure if you posted in the need a plumber section someone will be.

Amazing advice - many, many thanks - you've given me hope!

PSjust realised that this is the section - haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't find a gas installer who can legally move your meter no matter what MET tickets they have. It belongs to the network supplier and work can only be carried out by someone working with their authority.
Your £800 quote is ott. You have not asked for the right thing or someone didn't understand what you were after.

Here are some links
National Grid: Indicative charge for a service alteration or meter move for a domestic property
page 12 of this one
http://www.sgn.co.uk/ScotiaGas/uplo...es/StandardChargesScotlandGasNetworks2012.pdf

If its a straight forward move, National Grid will charge around the £400 mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If its a straight forward move, National Grid will charge around the £400 mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ational grid quoted £320+vat then said they won't touch it as it's Scotia's. I challenged Scotia but they said it was a fixed flat price. Think I'll go back to them again - thanks for the continued advice.

You won't find a gas installer who can legally move your meter no matter what MET tickets they have. It belongs to the network supplier and work can only be carried out by someone working with their authority.
Your £800 quote is ott. You have not asked for the right thing or someone didn't understand what you were after.

Here are some links
National Grid: Indicative charge for a service alteration or meter move for a domestic property
page 12 of this one
http://www.sgn.co.uk/ScotiaGas/uplo...es/StandardChargesScotlandGasNetworks2012.pdf

Tamz, I might be wrong (usually am), but I thought MET1 allowed you do move the meter? Or does it only allow you to move it with the suppliers permission?

Sorry to the OP if I've mislead you.

Meter tickets only allow you to work on meters with the suppliers permission ie working for them or one of their subbies like United Utilities, Carillion, Enterprise, Turriff etc. It is all a load of b****x.

Scotia are more expensive than national grid. Their std charge should be £660 if they are reconnecting it but they will add a bit more for a semi concealed box as it will also need a different meter.

Met 1 does allow you to " change " the meter but looking at ops pic and the fact the want semi concealed met 1 does not allow you to touch the service so a gas engineer cannot touch it has to be transco or however they are now

I was thinking that someone with MET1 could move the meter outside. Appreciate that you couldn't use a semi con box but you could do a wall mount one?

You could do the meter and the box but you could not do the service to the box do you still have to pay " transco " who would do it all in one hit anyway so what's the point

You could do the meter and the box but you could not do the service to the box do you still have to pay " transco " who would do it all in one hit anyway so what's the point

But what I had in mind you wouldn't touch the service. Just pipe from the ECV, through the wall to a secondary ECV then reg, and meter?

there are now 2 threads running on this subject i am closing this one and deleting the other otherwise we will have duplicate posts and the forums cluterd up,if anyone can help then plese pm the op directly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back to back meter move in Berkshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock