Search the forum,

Discuss back boiler flue damage???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

luckydub

i was in apartment today checking a damaged flue on a back boiler for a friend, its in bad condition but only from about 5" above the boiler...are there fittings availabe to attach a new piece or will he have to re-line the whole thing...its a 3 storey apartment and hes on the 2nd storey....other issue is that the chimney flue hole isnt flush with the boiler its off by about 5 inch's and original flue was flexed in at an angle

he will have to re line it only joints that are acceptable are straight on to the boiler draft diverter and onto twin wall flued adapters if the brick chimneys been removed

And the misalignment needs sorting out as that would appear to be the cause.

what if i get a 45 degree spigot off the boiler, attach a new flue piece, insert it into the damaged one after cutting the damaged piece off obviously, insert it up a couple of feet and put a heat resistant sealant around the gap...sorted.....no?

what if i get a 45 degree spigot off the boiler, attach a new flue piece, insert it into the damaged one after cutting the damaged piece off obviously, insert it up a couple of feet and put a heat resistant sealant around the gap...sorted.....no?
no lethal

whats wrong with using an adjustible flue liner elbow and attaching onto a spigot..explain "no letal" when its gonna be sealed up?

NO!
Take note of gas man's answer.

well im gonna do it and do the spillage and co tests and ive been in contact with 2 major flue installation companies about this and they told me it was legal and ok to do so i dont know whatyer replies are about...your not explaining your answer very well

well im gonna do it and do the spillage and co tests and ive been in contact with 2 major flue installation companies about this and they told me it was legal and ok to do so i dont know whatyer replies are about...your not explaining your answer very well
because if you were GSR you would know what the regs are pertaining to flue liners they can not be joined except for my answer in post 2 for the simple reason they can come apart in simple terms so you can understand someone or a family dies and you go to prison

i didnt explain it right....i want to put the new flue up as far into the old one as possible and seal it up..how will that come apart if its properly sealed...i want like a 45 degree turret bend comin off the outlet of the boiler and fire cement the new flue into the turret

As stated in BS5440, a flexible flue liner should rise from the appliance in one continuous length from the top of the appliance.
Regardless of what the flue manufactures say (they won't give you it in writing), that is the rules we should follow.
Whether you choose to do that or not is your responsibility.

Terrible attitude! Listen to the advice of experienced engineers and follow the gas regulations or you will kill people!

i want to put the new flue up as far into the old one as possible and seal it up
5" selkirk will not fit inside a 5" copex. What you are planning is a botch job which may become unsafe. Either replace the liner (you will need about 9 or 10m @around ÂŁ15/m) or fit a new boiler elsewhere.

wow, never before have i seen so much proffesional advice given to a man that is clearly going to ignore it.
luckydub, why not post the address of the property, so it can be inspected when you are finished.
that way, your work can be condemned before you kill somebody, their lives possibly saved, you learn not to do it again, and you get to appear on rogue traders !
ask for advice and take it, i do all the time, but dont back chat if you dont like the advice given by several different qualified engineers

My gods! What an incredible display of ignorance and utter stupidity! If I was told "No, lethal" I wouldn't carry on regardless. I'd be thinking of religning the flue!

i didnt explain it right....i want to put the new flue up as far into the old one as possible and seal it up..how will that come apart if its properly sealed...i want like a 45 degree turret bend comin off the outlet of the boiler and fire cement the new flue into the turret

You're a moron. Simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think i had one of those last year from the vat man :lol: Thankfully i passed the test :smile:

Is that the one where he grabs yer jacobs and squeezes until you've no more money left?

how is that back chat...he stated that you can use a fitting directly off the draught diverter, which is what i am planning to do..i need to use a 45 degree fitting because the boiler is about 6-8" ahead of the flue liner... and i will insert a long piece of flue directly into the old one...i will push it up about 4-5 ft and seal with fire cement...the POC fumes will be safely dispersed...how is this dangerous

andd p.s if ya cant have a relevent answer with being a smart bum...dont bother writing at all

You've been told no. You've been referred to the relevant documentation referring to the regulations covering the installation on which you're proposing to do this work and yet it seems you're going to carry on regardless.

Do what you want pal. I don't care.

I just hope Mr Big gets VERY fond of you in the showers!

what answer do you want? you want somebody to agree its safe to install a dangerous and stupid bit of flue? are you a gas safe registered engineer? whats your gas safe number?

i hope your customers keep safe. :(

how the **** is it dangerous if its safely SEALED.....state to me how it is dangerous and i wont do it...im after puttin it in writing exactually what i am going to do...state to me from what ive wrote where what i am doing is dangerous and why and i wont do it

how the **** is it dangerous if its safely SEALED.....state to me how it is dangerous and i wont do it...im after puttin it in writing exactually what i am going to do...state to me from what ive wrote where what i am doing is dangerous and why and i wont do it

please dont use bad language on the forum. Your intelligence is offencive enough.

im after sayin that i spokr to 2 of the biggest flue installer companies out there and they said it was ok to do...i came on here for more advice and im getting barraged with abuse...

The liner has to be a continuous length from appliance to termination. No ifs. No buts.

What's your gsr number?

im after sayin that i spokr to 2 of the biggest flue installer companies out there and they said it was ok to do...i came on here for more advice and im getting barraged with abuse...

does not matter who you spoke to, they cant decide the regulations and you cant make them up to suit your own needs.

do ya honestly think im gonna give you my number....look ive changed me mind...im just saying i was told by the flue installers that it was ok...i'll tell them they need to get it re-lined...i was just asking why it was unsafe if it was sealed thats all...i wasnt getting any answers back just abuse..couldnt be arsed anymore

Go and reread posts 10, 12 and 14 and then tell me again where you've not been told why it'd be an illegal installation.

What's your gsr number?

does not matter who you spoke to, they cant decide the regulations and you cant make them up to suit your own needs.

im not making them up to suit my needs...doesnt bother me whether its relined or not, the owner wanted to see if there was other options and thats what im doing...at least im asking rather than just doing...im a wall hung boiler installer...only installed a few back boilers so i came on here for some advice

Go and reread posts 10, 12 and 14 and then tell me again where you've not been told why it'd be an illegal installation.

What's your gsr number?

i just told you im tellin the owner to reline it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to back boiler flue damage???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock