Search the forum,

Discuss B+Q Prices! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bartdude

Went to a job today,needed a couple of 22mm compression stop ends,didn't have any in the van(doh!)so I nipped down the road to B+Q. Found them and looked at the price,£3.49 each!!

I couldn't bring myself to pay it,drove 10 minutes to a merchants instead!!

Thing is the place was packed,there was a guy buying about 8 lengths of 22mm copper too(in 2 meter lengths so it fits in cars)Dread to think how much that cost him:eek::eek:

[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9264634&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=copper+pipe&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&isSearch=true"]
5034579002498_001c_v001_zp
Streamline Black Label EN 1057 Copper Tube X022L-2 22mm x 2m EAN: 5034579002498 [/DLMURL]

in store

Available for reserve & collect
[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/stores/store_finder.jsp?productID=9264634&linkSrc=lister&ean=5034579002498"]Select a store to check stock & reserve & collect
new-window-icon.png
[/DLMURL]

Only £17.99

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but remember guys, we are paying for the highly skilled and ever helpful members of staff who are trained to a very high standard in all things plumbing and gas. :)

Went to a job today,needed a couple of 22mm compression stop ends,didn't have any in the van(doh!)so I nipped down the road to B+Q. Found them and looked at the price,£3.49 each!!

I couldn't bring myself to pay it,drove 10 minutes to a merchants instead!!

Thing is the place was packed,there was a guy buying about 8 lengths of 22mm copper too(in 2 meter lengths so it fits in cars)Dread to think how much that cost him:eek::eek:

Some would have bought the compression cap ends,kept the reciept,finished the job then bought two more from merchants the next day or so and return those for a B&Q refund.:eek:,I think not right using B&Q like that but seen it done :rolleyes:

imho

[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9264634&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=copper+pipe&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&isSearch=true"]
5034579002498_001c_v001_zp
Streamline Black Label EN 1057 Copper Tube X022L-2 22mm x 2m EAN: 5034579002498 [/DLMURL]

in store

Available for reserve & collect
[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/stores/store_finder.jsp?productID=9264634&linkSrc=lister&ean=5034579002498"]Select a store to check stock & reserve & collect
new-window-icon.png
[/DLMURL]

Only £17.99

Thanks for heads up,will reserve mine straight away if any left

;):rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some would have bought the compression cap ends,kept the reciept,finished the job then bought two more from merchants the next day or so and return those for a B&Q refund.:eek:,I think not right using B&Q like that but seen it done :rolleyes:

imho

The way that fuel prices are at the moment I probably would have been out of pocket by the time I'd driven back and forth!! And they were individually packaged in little plastic bags;)

tradepoint account reduces the b&q prices get yourself one of those just incase you need to nip over to b&q if its nearer or merchants are shut, last resort though :p

Some plumbing stuff at B&Q is actually way cheaper than anywhere else, such as polytanks. You've just got to be careful and check.

Yes totally agree with WHPES B&Q is the cheapest store for plumbing accessories.

imho
def my new tip for the day cheers ;)

Whatever it costs for the fittings, B&Q or otherwise, I just add it to the bill.

As a DIYer, rather than a professional plumber, where would you guys recommend I purchase supplies (pipe and fittings etc) from? Are the places you use trade only or do they sell to the public too?

there are alot of places plumb centre, william wilsons, pts, bss, they sell to public and trade although you don't get discounts unless you have a trade account with them

£4.50 for a 15mm equal tee compression fitting - they are having a bubble!

Having said that the copper pipe can sometimes be cheaper in wee and poo . . .

When ever I go to the plumbing section, half the little plastic bags are ripped open, and have bits missing from them as 'someone' half inches them. If you do buy here, make sure someone hasn't opened the packet before you . . .

I once bought a copper hot water cylinder from B&Q and it was full of those plastic packets

out of interest whats everyone paying for 15mm tube ?merchant has just told me its going up again

£60 plus vat - local merchant (free delivery/collection too!)

I find there is a careful balance between spending time to hunt down and order or collect the cheapest stuff plus the cost of holding stock yourself as opposed to using the most convenient place.
I tend to use a small local firm so my travel time is minimal and stock holding is very low. His prices are a little high but not too bad plus I am not loosing jobs on price so cant be that bad.

22mm compression stop ends? Why do you not have a couple in stock in your van, these are basic and often essential items! LOL
B&Q cater for the guys that are killing our industry, i.e diyers as the uninformed will pay their rip off prices. Trade Point is ok for some things but most items are not catered for with this card and it's B&Q's way off getting trade customers in their doors that can't get to rip off sister company Screwfix. Best way I found to get work and also **** them off is to stand outside their door in their car park and hand out my own leaflets.
Rant over.
;-))

ive always found b+q to a bit on the pricey side but where i am there is a b+q and a screwfix in close proximity so i opened a plumbfix account with some nice discounts and a larger range available, the only down side is that you have to be gassafe registered to open an account which wont be very good bathroom installers or unregistered plumbers sadly.

I'm a plumbfix account holder and I don't have gas qualifications - they just won't sell me any gas appliances. If more companies took this approach then there might not be so many dangerous gas installations!

I have never been challenged to show my gas safe card when buying gas stuff, which is wrong i believe but they dont care as long as they get the cash

ive always found b+q to a bit on the pricey side but where i am there is a b+q and a screwfix in close proximity so i opened a plumbfix account with some nice discounts and a larger range available, the only down side is that you have to be gassafe registered to open an account which wont be very good bathroom installers or unregistered plumbers sadly.

You dont have to be gas safe to open a plumbfix account i have one and i don't do gas. You just need 2 invoices and a business card.

You dont have to be gas safe to open a plumbfix account i have one and i don't do gas. You just need 2 invoices and a business card.

I didn't even need that, I phoned them up and gave details of my qualifications over the phone and they upgraded my screwfix account to a plumbfix one.

well im glad to be corrected on that one, the system would be better in this country if we followed the example of the states and made it legislation that only registered engineers can buy gas critical parts, after all its just like selling dynamite to someone that doesnt have a clue, the only problem with that is that retail sector probably has more sway than the gas industry.

There are also alot of people out there with a gas safe card who also dont have a clue!

What's the point when if you're refused gas fittings etc in Plumbfix that you can go across the road to the same company's DIY section called B&Q and buy them? I sent my missus to buy me a gas cooker hose and she got it no problem from B&Q. She's an office worker!

If you stopped joe public buying anything to do with Gas, then they'd just switch to the internet...well a lot of them would. It'll never happen.

It would be nice if it did, but it won't.

Did PTS/Plumb Centre or any other plumbing merchants ask to see your credientials before you opened an account, or just a letter head!?

I buy all manner of boiler parts from PTS, for all they know I might just dress like a plumber...oh and smell like one.

You get my point.

As a registered engineer i am supportive of some merchants not selling 'gas' fittings to non-registered but, i hope it doesn't become a 'closed shop' and that means lack of competition (back to the 70's!!), higher prices and effectively a restriction of trade. What about these scenarios;
A large national housebuilder negotiates low prices for bulk buying but, a merchant says, sorry your not competent to have boilers or gas fires?????
You need to get your car brakes done but halfords laugh when you can't prove your qualified and suggest they can supply a local garage only and not you?????????
Oh and by the way, no more heating controls, wiring centres, cable or fused spurs for you plumbers, only available to qualified electricians???
Or... are we all saying that car repairs and 230v electrics don't have any safety issues and are all DIY???

Rofl went into B&Q on friday for a new toolbox as they had some decent offers on due to the bank holiday weekend. Ended up giving my number out for a job some woman was plunging her sink and it was coming through the bath B&Q guy didnt have a clue what he was talking about so i jumped in and gave her a tip then she said oh can you do it instead? Done it saturday £35 for pouring some knockout down the pipe ;)

Rofl went into B&Q on friday for a new toolbox as they had some decent offers on due to the bank holiday weekend. Ended up giving my number out for a job some woman was plunging her sink and it was coming through the bath B&Q guy didnt have a clue what he was talking about so i jumped in and gave her a tip then she said oh can you do it instead? Done it saturday £35 for pouring some knockout down the pipe ;)
I once handed out my leaflets in their carpark and got loads of work. Revenge is sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to B+Q Prices! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock