Search the forum,

Discuss Asbestos soil pipe to UPVC connections. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's just moved into her first house. She has an asbestos soil stack which runs through the house rather than up the outside of the building. I have uncovered the ground floor section as it was boxed in and found that the lower four feet is encased in concrete/cement. Is there a reason for this or is it just to keep the stack stable?

The reason for uncovering the stack is that I want to fit her a downstairs toilet, roughly where the stack is luckily. I'm expecting to remove about six feet of the original stack, I don't want to remove the whole thing as the bath, sink and upstairs toilet are all connected at first floor level. I'm going to need to fit a branch at ground floor level to take the new toilet as well as waste for the sink. and then connect a piece of UPVC pipe to the existing stack. Are UPVC to Asbestos connectors readily available? I have read that connecting a 'Supersleeve' (for example), to asbestos can be troublesome if you overtighten as the asbestos might crack.

Thanks for any help

Are you sure it is asbestos and not cast iron? They are very similar looking.
I would want the entire soil stack removed by a company who deal with asbestos desposal and then have it all replaced with plastic.

Yeah don't mess with asbestos get pros on it.

I'm told it's asbestos cement and as long as I double bag and label it, I can do it myself. Mask, goggles and gloves being worn of course.

You also have the problem in that as soon as you cut the asbestos you will then have airborne particles. You will then need to ensure that the air quality has been cleared of all asbestos ( unless you want to kill you family and risk a fine )

Many thanks for your comments. I'd like to point out that I'm new to this forum but I'm an old hand on many others. I have asked two questions in the original post; is anyone able to answer either one of them?

Whilst I appreciate your concerns for my safety regarding the asbestos, I have taken all precautions necessary to deal with it.

You will of course be getting full building control approval for adding an extra loo?

You asked two questions -
1, What the concrete case on last 4 ft is for.
No idea and shouldn't be anything to do with making the stack stable.
Might be there to protect it from damage?
Going to be fun removing the concrete without disturbing asbestos!

2, Is there connectors for to join to asbestos.
My answer is still the same, - I wouldn't join to asbestos if possible. Because you are installing a lower toilet, you have the entire stack to deal with. An original joint to join to would be handy. But there is no easy way to do it properly.
Various connectors could be bought and the asbestos is same size inside as modern pipe, but better you don't reduce the diameter with an internal fitting. But you probably know that

Last edited:
Don't forget to seal the windows and doors and set up a filtered air pump to create a negative pressure within the house to prevent the escape of particles. Oh, and then decontaminate the house once the stacks been removed.
But I expect you knew that too.

Any risk from asbestos cement is minimal. Its not a big deal even to the HSE who have a data sheet on removing it if you look it up.

Any risk from asbestos cement is minimal. Its not a big deal even to the HSE who have a data sheet on removing it if you look it up.

As one asbestos waste desposal guy told me about asbestos soil pipe and asbestos roof tiles - that stuff you could eat! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Asbestos soil pipe to UPVC connections. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock