Search the forum,

Discuss Are pushfits any good, copper or plastic pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

student plumber

I used to build handwash & dry units the pipe sets used pushfits I can't remember the brand (white with grey collars). No problems fitting and tested every unit but sometimes the pushfits leaked. No problems with soldering to brass connectors or brass spray nozzles. Sometimes the plastic taps with metal nuts leaked.

On a TV program two presenters and some tradesmen redone a house (badly they only made a grand). Replaced the kitchen when house finished it leaked under the sink, copper pipe and plastic pushfits.

I have seen plastic pipe with an insert before going into a plastic pushfit.

Is it like for like either copper pipe and copper fittings or plastic pipe and plastic fittings, or are there pushfits that you can trust.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
i always use jg speedfit can be dismantled easily with no tools dont need inserts for copper NEVER USE PUSHFIT ON STAINLESS OR CHROME PIPE

i always use jg speedfit can be dismantled easily with no tools dont need inserts for copper NEVER USE PUSHFIT ON STAINLESS OR CHROME PIPE
did that on chrome last week on a shower. although sanded of chrome first.

If you are using speedfit, check every fitting and I mean every fitting that the rings at each opening actually are there and are in the right order. Always use inserts in the pipe. For concealed spaces prefer Hep2O - if there is a possibility that a fitting may need to be dismantled in the future, use Speedfit.

I try to avoid it as much as possible I hate how it still twists and moves when in the fitting...Can never leave a job in 100% confidence as I can with a solder or crunched up olive

if you sanded it it will be fine first time i did it on chrome pipe i didnt and got in a bit of a mess

I always use speedfit iso valve or straight coupling under a kitchen sink as yo dont have to be concerned with tightening a compression joint and undoing the tap connection. Otherwise I dont like or trust speed fit due to the number of leaks I have seen.

I think the problem with Speedfit is that DIY users are installing it and not taking due care and attention to use it properly. Used correctly with full slip, the correct inserts and locking the fittings, I've had no problems and I'm now a convert from traditional copper and fittings. They will leak and even blow if not given full slip and/or a side load is applied to the fitting. They must also be regularly pipe clipped (every 300mm for 15mm pipe) and any failed installations I've seen are down to misuse and incorrect installation and ignoring the manufacturers recommendations. If users follow the manufacturers instructions, Speedfit is a great system. I love how the fittings can turn and be repositioned once connected.

has anyone read the specs on pushfits, to be warrantied most systems have to be pressurised upto 10bar for a period of time to ensure the gripper rings take hold. dont do it and it later leaks and your not covered by warranty! then any damage is down to you and your insurers. Hep will come out take away fittings to ensure you have pressurised their systems as intructed if you claim against them, be afraid people, copper is by far the best, and any leaks are down to your ability to solder and nothing else

copper most of the time but plastic has its advantages i use poly pipe grey as i find it more flexible than jg speedfit but i only use it out of site and with inserts and compression fittings its also cheaper than copper

Thanks all clearly there's a bit more to this subject than I first thought.

On the point of push fits, does anyone know how long a correctly installed joint should last. A soldered joint can last 80 years but can't see a rubber O ring lasting anywhere near that time.
There have been occasions when I have used them but agree with a previous post that I come away wishing I hadn't.
Now I just use a flame and solder and it looks a much more professional job.

Big problem with pushfits as said is that they leak or seep- however worse case scernario is they come off when not fitted properly, were as soldered joints may leak slightly but will not cause major hassel as they do not come off completely

I use JG fittings and won't use any other. Yes you must always put supports in plastic pipes when adding brass fittings.
Also when using plastic fittings there are locking collars available. So, once you fit up add the locking collar and it'll ensure its fitted correctly and hopefully your customer wot try and undo anything.
The critical part when using plastic pipe is cutting it straight. A pair of decent cutters, straighten out the pipe and mark where the pipe has to be pushed up to.
JG do a small booklet if your uncertain what you can and can't fit. Take your time and you'll soon get use to it.

prefer copper and solder. neater nicer and stronger and vermin dont nibble at it.

Hi I find push fit are fine. Was fitting an outside tap the other day and found the previous was push fit, and this was the cause of the leak. so just as a safety had fitted a compression in place.
Previously I have found a push fit to separate after a completed insertion, but never to leak out of the joint. If thr pipes are cut straight clean and deburred, there should never be a problem, but me personally would prefer end feeders..

;)Pe

I had a failure in 2002 with a Hep 20 15mm elbow. It was a non demountable, slimline i believe they are called (?) The grab ring was in the wrong way round and the pipe blew out of the fitting at 8 am and i got the call at lunchtime. The shop below was ankle deep in water and it cost me a lot of money to reinstate it all.

I still use Hep and polyplumb but as mentioned above i check every one to make sure its in the right order and all as it should be.

Im interested to try the metal pushfit but need some work in to cover the outlay of the tools etc required.

what lets down push fit fittings is if you get a scrstch on the pipe this scratch can get under the 'o' ring and will never seal , just to add to chrome pipe talk , you can file off chrome and then solder as normal great for when customer wants chrome pipe coming out of floor to radiator ! ;)

all washers eventually perish. good luck with that. plastic is ugly n easy, takes away the skill of the trade. i know people who use it n there all of a certain ilk if u know what i mean.

Let's be relistic about this one any half decent plumber likes to use copper but there is a place for plastic also sometimes it's impractical to use copper this is where plastic pipe has it's uses
Pipe in pipe is great run back from rads to a manifold never seen a problem with it
Don't get me wrong I'm not a great plastic fan but it does have it's place as well as copper
We all have to adapt i don't think it will be to far in future when copper will be to expensive to use (3600 a ton scrap value) getting crazy

prefer copper and solder. neater nicer and stronger and vermin dont nibble at it.

Was at a house where rodents had feasted on barrier pipe, not a pretty site. This is a MAJOR problem with plastic pipe and the manufacturers advice in their catalogue says that the way to cure it is to get pest control in! A very expensive addition to installing plastic! Most rural and semi rural house holds have mice coming into the attic in the Winter and its impossible to eradicate them.
Need a better solution than pest control from the plastic manufacturers I'm afraid! If you ave to add the cost of pest control to the installation, then you're better off using copper! Saying that I've been a traditionalist since 1982, but I've become a convert and like the new twist and lock Speedfit system. It has it's uses for things like sink units, outside taps, bathrooms and it's really good for caravans and chalets. I like the white pipe on a bathroom suite as it matches, but only if the minging looking fittings are hidden. I wouldn't pipe a full house with it though.

the last time i used it was for rhe 150mm continuity break for an outside tap, required by wr. n that was 3 years ago.

My girlfriends last house was ALL hepwrth, the heating system was microbore with the demountable elbows and coverplates on all the walls. They were painted to match the walls. The only metal in the whole system was a brass stopcock and a washing machine valve.

Another BIG downfall with plastic systems is that they are not universal. There is a size difference between pipe and fiitings, while copper and fittings for it, fit anything regardless of the manufacturer.

All this talk about pests eating plastic pipe, I've never heard of this.
Anything else yes but not pipe. If they're eating that then wouldn't they be eating the rest of the house, wood, dampcourse, insulation, wiring, carpets.
Sounds like get pest control in anyway.

All this talk about pests eating plastic pipe, I've never heard of this.
Anything else yes but not pipe. If they're eating that then wouldn't they be eating the rest of the house, wood, dampcourse, insulation, wiring, carpets.
Sounds like get pest control in anyway.
I've seen what rodents do to plastic. They gnaw pin holes through it and a recent job had a major flood because of it. Of course they eat wood, cable and everything else too but barrier pipe seems to be something of a delicasy for them.
Pest control? It's impossible to completely eradicate mice in an attic in Winter. It only takes one mouse to cause damage and they keep coming. They come in out of the cold in rural areas and in towns too. It doesn't matter how clean the property is nor the size and value of it. You can live in a spotless, huge ultra modern house costing mega bucks and they'll still come in.
It is a major problem and one which the manufacturers of plastic pipe do NOT have a solution for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
First time contributor.
Suprised no-one mentioned 'Tectite' its a brass push-fit and is OK with Copper and plastic. Used it on a cylinder replacement job while back (was given some samples at a merchant). Its good, less bulky than plastic but can be hard to find at merchants. used it a couple of times since no problems.

Hi All,
First time contributor.
Suprised no-one mentioned 'Tectite' its a brass push-fit and is OK with Copper and plastic. Used it on a cylinder replacement job while back (was given some samples at a merchant). Its good, less bulky than plastic but can be hard to find at merchants. used it a couple of times since no problems.

I've heard of Tectite but thought it was only used with copper and like you I've only seem limited sales in catalogues or online, but how much movement can it withstand, remembering a post here clips have to be closer together.

found that really interesting and funny too, think i will stick to copper on works and the plastics is used to sharpen the fangs

Me2!!llol Good luck bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are pushfits any good, copper or plastic pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock