Discuss Are plastic stop ends permanent? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just converted an old bathroom into a bedroom, but there are a few copper pipes which no longer needed and I need to cut then down to below floor level.

Can i used plastic speedfit stop ends as far as building control is concerned? I don't want to use copper soldered ends as it's very tight space and a real faff.

Compression would be better but agree with harvest

Can you not trace them back further and completely remove that leg?

Not really, the cold comes into the room as the 22mm straight from the mains which is in the next room (kitchen) , so if I took it all the way back I'd have to dig up the kitchen floor and remove all the inbuilt cabinets! It's also needed to provide water to pipework which branches off in that room and goes up into the ceiling. In short, I'd have to totally reroute all the pipework :(

I'll have a look at the compressions fittings, although is there really much difference between these and speedfit in terms of reliability?

Compression won't pop off it done correctly

Never a guarantee with anything plastic on its life span.
However it ' should' last more than long enough.

I put some JG stop ends on the 15mm feeds for a cloakroom that I removed 9 years ago. Went back to reinstall the cloakroom earlier this year and they were fine.
They'll probably be fine, thing is as a plumber experience tells you that soldered or compression fittings pretty much always work, have been out to some blown plastic fittings but they're always where they were installed incorrectly.

Not best practice. But it's just the same as any speedfit, or push fit fitting.

How long does a soldered fitting last anyway. I'm working in a property at the moment that was re-furbished in 1967 there is plenty of 3/4" & 1/2" pipe but it is all solid

As a collective bunch of supposededly professional plumbers the continuing witchhunt over plastic fittings never ceases to amaze me!

I don't think there's one of us that's not come across a failed compression fitting or a soldered joint that's held pressure for many years with nothing but flux residue. The manufacturers of these pushfit fittings and pipe spend millions in research and development of their products to ensure they are fit for purpose, after all they want us to use them and have confidence in them. What they can't influence is the ability of some tradesman, (or DIY'ers) to do the job properly.

I wonder what our older members thought about the transition from cast iron stackpipes to the now ubiquitious plastic.

Me.............I prefer copper!

If I were redoing my own house, I would install an iron stack to replace the plastic one.

Pushfit stopend should work well. Yes, I have seen some leak, more than compression or solder, but I do use plastic on occasion.

If you can get to the end of the pipe being cut off, you should cap off where it comes from the other pipe even if this means removing a cupboard. You mention building control: well, the Water Regulations ("The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999)": law!) say dead legs must be removed to within a pipe's diameter from where they tee off the live pipe - this is non-negotiable except for short temporary periods (60 days) e.g. during renovations. That said, I doubt the BCO will notice or care, and I removed a 10' length copper dead leg from below my ground floor at home only last year; I believe water last flowed along its length in 1987, and most of the former occupants of this house are still alive.

Plastic not good practice , hydraulic / water hammer will pick on weakest bit .
..My new washing machine has some awful manners..
( dead legs in copper are preferable )

I believe everyone of us has used and will use in the future plastic pipe or any pushfit fittings.
Nowadays almost all new builds are installed plastic pipes. It now depends on what fittings you can have those press fittings like buteline. I wouldn't mind using plastic for first fix but when I have got the chance I always go back to copper solid pipes. Pushfit fittings are also designed to withstand high pressures. It's just the way of using them that's all it is. Things are not made to last forever then we will have no more jobs.

I would prefer to see the dead leg go, but it stays I doubt it will make any difference whether it is capped with copper or plastic. I rate Hep20 fittings above the other plastics, but ask 5 installers and you'll probably get 5 answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are plastic stop ends permanent? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back