Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Aqua panel advice please in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. mutley racers

mutley racers Plumber GSR

So I am a virgin at using these but tomorrow I shall pop my cherry. Just after advice on installation. One side of the wall where the shower tray will go will be stud wall with the panel fixed straight on to studs. Do I build the studs flush with the tray and then aqua panel on tray like tiles? The plastered walls on left and right are painted, does the adhesive stick to paint (according to the tube it will stick anything without fixings)a and is it possible to use a thicker bit of adhesive on one side like dot and dab to make the walls square?

Internal and external corner trims, do I need to silicone in these before slotting the panels in?

Ceiling panels, the room I am doing is a Cloakroom under the stairs, now this has a flat ceiling for about a meter then slopes down where the stairs start. Do I cut the panels at an angle where the slope starts or can i do a series of cuts in the back and then push it up to follow the slope?

That's all I can think of for now, thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers Lee

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

3. Christopher buzzard

Christopher buzzard GSR

I'm no expert but I don't believe you can fit this panel straight to wooden studs. Done this way then the panel its self wouldnt be fitted very sercurly. Only relying on the 2" upright studs and noggens for fixture. When I've fitted them in the past it had to be to either ply or hardy backer board. Then fit the tray, silicone seal around the tray onto the HB board or ply. The aqual panel board is then fitted. Sitting on a bead of silicone left to cure for 24hrs. I then silicone around the tray, onto the aqua panel for the final seal. I always silicone the corner trims and push the panels into it to squeeze the silicone out and wipe clean with a wonder wipes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Best to fit moisture resistant plasterboard to the studs and adhesive it to that. Anything like plaster, or paint will need priming with acrylic primer at 3 parts water, to 1 part primer.
    If your using one with trims, make sure you silicone every edge. Also when cutting, if your using a hand saw, cut from the face and any circular or jigsaw, cut from the underside.
    Ps. Use more adhesive than is recommended and have some timber ready to prop the panels tight back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

As above , chuck has mentioned the plasterboard first and prime before glueing it down.

As far as I know you can fit the panels straight onto the shower tray like the tiles. The walls have to be levelled and put a good amount adhesive behind. First fit the corner trim with the supplied adhesive before fitting the panels make sure you apply adhesive inside the trims too. You also have to make sure to get rid of the air pockets behind so press the panels nicely on. When you install the final corner trims make make sure you put silicone in so when you press it in the silicone will slightly squeeze out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I personally would not put it straight onto studs. Either ise some kind of backer board or at the very least plasterboard. Then adhesive the aqua panel to the boarding. Hope this helps

7. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes i would build the studwork to the tray then hardie backer the area , unibond the painted walls and let it dry out completely cut the panels and dry fit them i use gripfill panel adhesive to stick the panels these need to be braced with timber till the adhesive has set , silicone the internal corner trim to the panel i dont stick them to the wall , dont normally put it on the ceiling they do a plastic cladding for that,a tub of hand wipes is a must to clean up. good luck kop

8. Harvest Fields

Can I ask why you do not stick the corners to the wall?

9. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

It depends how square your corners are. Generally, silicone the corner profile to the back panel and then fit the next panel into it. If you fit the corner profile to an in-level corner, it makes it very difficult to insert the next panel.
    Hope that make sense!
    Even easier. Use nuance boards. They have no profiles, and use colour matching adhesives. They don't bend like a banana either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Harvest Fields

That's why I was getting confused all the panels I have fitted have been on square walls. Forget sometimes that nothing in old houses is square :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Or new houses

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Harvest Fields

Your right to be honest.

13. king of pipes

Chalked is right Harvest silicone the trim to the board to allow for discrepancies in the corner i am yet to have a perfectly square corner i find it works and it aviods getting excess silicone all over the trim and board and you work cleaner . cheers kop

• Like Like x 1
  14. mutley racers

Wow, now that is a good response. Thanks chaps. On the shower wall installation manual it only talks about sticking to battens. Nothing about plaster walls. The delivery came with shower wall adhesive which apparently grabs instantly.

Any advice on fitting the ceiling panels to the angled ceiling?

15046164211571835260813.jpg

15. mutley racers

Yes, I have a the cladding for the ceiling, just not sure how to cut it where the slope begins. Do you use screws on the ceiling boards? Wonder wipes it is then

16. king of pipes

Fit a j trim around the room then you fix it up with low modulus silicone and staple the tounge to keep it up and clean and tidy should be able to angle the cladding in the groove of the other board start at the angle is my advice

20170628_103045.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  17. mutley racers

Do you use any plastic J trim or the one that the manufacturer supplies? The reason I ask is because I will have to order it from manufacturer which could take a while.

18. mutley racers

Also, when stapler and staples do you use

19. mutley racers

I was actually hoping to run my ceiling panels length ways, not across. But It seems your way is the only way I can do it

20. king of pipes

Any plastic supply company will have j trim comes in a 6m length just take a piece of cladding with you for colour match, i used 13mm stainless staples in a stanley hand held stapler works well work with the shortest length possible having the trim makes it easier to hold panels in place dont cut them to tight allow 5mm gap on each side in the trim so its not seen and allows expansion and contraction and installation. Good luck kop

• Like Like x 1
  21. mutley racers

Thanks so much for the advice. One last thing, are the staples only for plasterboard and plywood. Not straight into plaster

22. king of pipes

They will hold in plaster its only to hold in place while silicone cures bud cheers kop

Are your wall panels plastic or laminated ply ?

23. mutley racers

Thanks