Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone supply an idiots guide to DIY powerflushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats peoples views on using Magnacleans device ?

Whats peoples views on using Magnacleans device ?

very good when using alongside a powerflush machine, not so good on its own. the kamco one its better because its a window into the system ie. its transparent.

The first thing BG tell everyone is that they need a power flush - ÂŁ700!

9 times out of 10 it does not solve the problem . .. .

Its a bit of of plumbing myth that has built up all kinds of weird ideas about

I have just done a poweflush this weekend, a few tips on what I picked up on my first time.
I found DIY power flush sealed system and DIY power flushing guide for open vented central heating system very useful along with the instructions on the Kamco website.

I did a weekend hire of the power flush unit so I could spend the Friday night working out what all the controls etc did. I put X400 into the system a few weeks before; as I did not wish to use a powerful acid that risked damaging the boiler if I got it wrong.

I considered doing a few compete drain downs and refills instead, however we have lots of radiators on drops that don’t have drain point, so a power flusher seem the better option. I did not do a “main flush” as that would have put more pressure on the pipe work and with old paperwork mostly hidden in the loft ….

Always add cleaner in the towle rail and and use main water works for me

most people untill they use a powerflush machine correctly tend to believe that a chemical clean with mains water is just as good. Most change there mind very quickly tho......

i drained a heating system recently which run clear on a chemical flush, i still got a number of kg's of black sludge off my magnetic filter attached to my powerflush machine, that was just what the filter caught the rest went down the drain.

Last edited:
most people untill they use a powerflush machine correctly tend to believe that a chemical clean with mains water is just as good. Most change there mind very quickly tho......

i drained a heating system recently which run clear on a chemical flush, i still got a number of kg's of black sludge off my magnetic filter attached to my powerflush machine, that was just what the filter caught the rest went down the drain.

I used a power flush machine as the cost of hiring one was low enough that there was not a good reason to do otherwise.

However at the end of the day if a little black sludge is left that is well stack to a radiator and is not blocking the radiator, then removing it does not have that much benefit.

I can’t think of a case when it would be a good option to have a new boiler installed these days without putting a filter on the system. Therefore I think a “main flush” that runs clear after having the chemicals in the system for a long time is good enough.

I used a power flush machine as the cost of hiring one was low enough that there was not a good reason to do otherwise.

However at the end of the day if a little black sludge is left that is well stack to a radiator and is not blocking the radiator, then removing it does not have that much benefit.

I can’t think of a case when it would be a good option to have a new boiler installed these days without putting a filter on the system. Therefore I think a “main flush” that runs clear after having the chemicals in the system for a long time is good enough.

The turbulence created by reversing flow with a power flush machine will stir up any settled debris in radiators in a way that a mains flush won't do. Running clear doesn't mean the rads are cleared of all debris/magnetite.

I think it makes good sense to fit a filter to a system after cleaning, even if the boiler is not new.

None of the filters on the market are 100% efficient, and if the system is very dirty some magnetite will pass through the filter, plus, on most filters, once the filter chamber is full the flow will by-pass the filtering chamber.

I recently used a cheaper cleaning chemical sold by Screwfix, and found the result disappointing, better to pay the extra and use one of the main brands imo.

BG do refuse to take systems on Homecare cover if the system is dirty. In my area they charge ÂŁ599 for power flushing, and if you have the power flush done by them they will include the water in the HC cover. If you have the system cleaned by someone else the system water is excluded from the HC cover, i.e. they won't check and top it up, etc.

It will come as no surprise if some BG engineers on here say they do different, but the above is the way the BG contract works.

Last edited by a moderator:

leaving sludge in a system is not correct, the boiler manufacutrer requires you to fit the appliance to a clean system which has been flushed to the BS. Using a powerflush machine is the best way to do this on most old systems. Yes you can mains flush to meet the BS but that does not mean leaving sludge in the system. Removing as much sludge as possible will increase the efficiency of the radiators and life of the new boiler and whole system. A magnetic filter will only pickup so much, a years average amount of corrosion in a fairly clean system. if the boiler fails during warrantee your going to struggle to get it repaired by the manufacturer.

i cant see a reason not to powerflush a sludged up system if possible and customer will pay for it.

ive seen a magnaclean full after an hour or two on a boiler change which was only chemicaly flushed, a powerflush was suggested but not done as far as i know.

Last edited:
very true, how many people have fitted filters because they are unsure the system has been cleaned well enough rather than as a precautionary measure for future corrosion problems.

very true, how many people have fitted filters because they are unsure the system has been cleaned well enough rather than as a precautionary measure for future corrosion problems.

If the customer drains the filter and finds a load of black gunge they're probably going to doubt the value of the cleaning, even if the residue is the product of many hours of filtering.

Any one would like help over the phone on how to use the power flush pump, flush the system with main water, or looking for some one experienced with very reasonable prices ( London and surrounding only) please get in touch.
magflush solutions

Any one would like help over the phone on how to use the power flush pump, flush the system with main water, or looking for some one experienced with very reasonable prices ( London and surrounding only) please get in touch.
magflush solutions

Give me a bell - I might be able to help. 07592 107251, Ian.

Having been refused BG cover on CH system due to excessive iron oxide sludge, we were told ÂŁ680 to get a powerflush by BG which we got told was a lifetime guaranteed one.
Hubby who is not a plumber, but has done various re plumbing on our system over the years and according to the gas engineer that we had out, had done an excellent job, has found that you can hire one of these flushers and operate this yourself.
So our big question is - does anyone on here have an idiots guide to operating one of these things if we go and hire one for a weekend? Or would it be better to try a chemical flush first? Money is very tight at the moment, so we need cheapest reliable method. Ideally I wish I could afford to have a magnaclean thing fitted.
Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Dont want to sound like a pain but I cant stand it when I get mr diy asking how do i do this and how do i do that!! coming on here asking for advice so they can have a go at the weekend lol
I am sorry but its taken me a long time to get where I am now and find it insulting when people play the skill level of our job down!! by thinking its so easy any old diyer can do it just as good or question how much we charge for our services

My advice is dont be so tight pay a heating engineer ÂŁ400 ish to come and do a flush because

1 If you get a good engineer it will be done properly and he knows what he is doing
2 Its going to cost about ÂŁ70 to hire a machine and chemicals anyway
3 If he makes a mess he will have insurance
4 he will be able to deal with a problem such as a rad bursting etc

Thats my advice.. but thats all it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone supply an idiots guide to DIY powerflushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock