Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone live in Cornwall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Looking at options of places to relocate to as can't afford to buy first house in south east.

Visited Cornwall recently for a wedding (Looe area) and thought it seemed really nice. Early days, poking about for ideas.

If anyone lives there would you recommend it? What's work like?

I know Cornwall is a big area, lots of different places no doubt.

House prices are almost as high has your area, your earnings will take a very big drop, Living in the west country is not all its made out to be, Look to the North East for low cost housing.

Not much in the way of work around Looe although it is quite nice their.
You would probably have to cover quite an area to get enough work.

I once went to Newquay on holiday. What a helluva drive that was. Never been back and we get bigger surf up here but its colder

;)Used to holiday in Perranporth just the other side of Newquay with the kids and was offered a job but the distance I would have to cover put paid to that.....also saw a van that said something like Fred Bloggs plumbing heating and carpet fitting....so be prepared to adapt ....lol regards Turnpin

Has some of the other guys have pointed out traveling is one of the main bug-bears of living in the west country,, and remember most of it shuts down in the winter, you will need to cover LPG & Oil as the further out from main towns there is no Piped gas just something to consider , If you settle in one of the major city's you will have a lot of completion, Plymouth alone has over 600 in quite a compact area , Exeter is expanding but Think Housing is expensive.

I'm down Redruth way so deepest darkest Cornwall. I am 3 years in to being self employed and hopefully this year I will earn a wage.

Money down here is pants on the books 18 years experience and I got offered ÂŁ11 an hour for a gas, lpg, oil and invented service engineer.

The good thing is though the lifestyle, as long as the bills are paid I'm happy finishing early if the surf is up.

Don't move down here thinking you will earn a fortune as you won't, up north Cornwall you may still get a few decent jobs going as I've missed a fair few for manufacturers as they want north Cornwall mainly.

I have loved moving down here but financially it was pretty much suicide. Lol.

Oh and house prices are not great and if you see the see they are untouchable but if you are willing to live in a town in the middle of the county you can get fairly good deals.

And finally be prepared to buy some really good drill bits as this granite is horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone live in Cornwall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I thought I'd come to the experts and see if anyone is installing and/or recommending the use of any Smart TRV valves? Particularly in large(ish) solid wall houses. I live in a 1920's arts and crafts house - it's about 2000sqft, not massive, but it's approx 25% larger on the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm looking for an adult course to do the NVQ2 C&G around my current job. Has anyone used or can recommend training providers in my area (North Herts/South Cambdrigeshire) where I can do the course part time? Ideally somewhere that has other adults - I'm 38 and career changing from...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a Heatmiser UFH installation, 7-8 years old now. This week we noticed that a few of our heating zones were not warming up, even though the thermostat was showing the flame symbol. They were working fine last winter. I knew from when I looked at the installation in the past that...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Apologies A) for showing my ignorance and B) possibly asking a question that has been answered elsewhere - though I have looked! I have a problem with the heating on a pub I have taken over. The boiler has been recently overhauled and works fine, but I'm struggling to control it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock