Search the forum,

Discuss Any reason 1/2" Portsmouth (Part 1 ballcocks or FOV) are still sold at all? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
To cut a long story short, I started reading the the WRAS Water Regs book again:

G16.1 d states that a G1/2 size valve (do they mean a 1/2" valve as opposed to, say, a 3/4" valve?) must be 'constructed so that the water shut-off level may be altered [...] without bending the float lever.' So why bother making Part 1 valves of that size at all?

I suppose you could argue that replacing a valve does not constitute installing one so you can fit a non-compliant valve as a replacement? Is that why these are still sold?

Just wondering as usual :)

Thanks,

Ric

Last edited:
Part 2's are only made in G1/2 & 3/4 sizes so if you want anything bigger it is still the Part 1.

Also Part 2 is limited to the orifice size that can be fitted I seem to remember.

That's my point: specifically, why bother making the half inch? What does the G stand for, by the way?

R

Many existing WC cisterns still in use have a Portsmouth float operated valve (part1), when the valve is in need of replacement the use of a part2 will not fit due to its air gap back flow protection of the water outlet at the top by means of the bent plastic water delivery spout sticks up too high for the cistern lid. The part 1 can be installed providing back flow protection is installed in the supply pipe in line with The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999.

Many existing WC cisterns still in use have a Portsmouth float operated valve (part1), when the valve is in need of replacement the use of a part2 will not fit due to its air gap back flow protection of the water outlet at the top by means of the bent plastic water delivery spout sticks up too high for the cistern lid. The part 1 can be installed providing back flow protection is installed in the supply pipe in line with The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999.

Where I've seen this though I just replace them with a side entry adjustable arm float valve tbh.

Again if there is space, I would update to part 2 unfortunately at times someone has cut the hole in the F & E to near the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any reason 1/2" Portsmouth (Part 1 ballcocks or FOV) are still sold at all? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock