Search the forum,

Discuss any plumbers/companies in the mansfield area in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyh1984

i posted this in another forum but cant seem to find it now, so il re post in the correct area

Im currently coming to the end of my year at college studying 6035 level 2 in plumbing diploma, i have one exam to sit so far passing the rest to distinction level and have completed all practical assessments, which as you may know include various frames, bends , joins , radiator fits, cloakroom install, cylinder and cistern fit, and bathroom fit including all underfloor piping, all these include using plastics, LCS and of course copper.
Currently when not helping others around the work shop i have asked for more maintenance based tasks ,such as correcting pipework, replacing fittings, fixing taps etc, but the college doesnt really accommodate for such tasks unless something does actually go wrong somewhere.

So what i am looking for is someone in the local area looking for a plumbers mate/ apprentice to work alongside obviously learning more about the trade and also gaining a gateway into the plumbing industry, i have signed on for level 3 which would go hand in hand with such a placement and also working towards gas eventually.

So far i have messaged/wrote tp/contacted/ Emailed varoius companies and workers to which most have replied the same that they have currently filled all placements, or not wanting to work alongside anyone or want actual qualified plumbers, the closest i have got is someone claiming that all their work has dried up so if i was willing to get leads in my area then he would carry out the work and i could tag along, which in one way is good, but on the other hand im not sure it looks that promising when a qualified plumber who lives central to some busy areas cant find his own work and is asking someone new to the industry to do this for him.

But anyway any info or opportunity would be greatly appreciated, currently it is half term and we are due to return on the 28th i believe the course actual finish date is mid to late june and if i was to return for level 3 it would be a mid september start date again.

the closest i have got is someone claiming that all their work has dried up so if i was willing to get leads in my area then he would carry out the work and i could tag along, which in one way is good, but on the other hand im not sure it looks that promising when a qualified plumber who lives central to some busy areas cant find his own work and is asking someone new to the industry to do this for him.

you will find a lot of this is the case and if you want my advice...take it.
its a good way of getting in and shows your worth for the prospective plumber willing to teach you.
better than paying the plumber to let you tag along on his jobs!!

fair comment but i cant see how i would be any more valuable at gaining or finding leads when someone with advertising, websites, company vans etc cant get the leads themselves, i think along the same lines as my tutor at college where there is work out there if you have not got any then you cant be too great at what you are doing ,especially when you want to put your livelyhood in the hands of someone you dont know and has no experience.
This is something i want to do as a career until retirement really or get a good 20 or so years from and then even teach it for someone else to take advantage , so coming across as the amature id rather not make myself look the fool by contacting someone, committing to something which i wouldnt be sure could be fixed or done, give false information etc and get frustrated by it.

Also on the flip side of the coin id rather be working with someone and learning from someone who has plenty of work where i can be learning all kinds of new things quickly and effectively, rather than scrimping at jobs from leads that are going to be pretty hard to generate or be worthwhile.

fair comment but i cant see how i would be any more valuable at gaining or finding leads when someone with advertising, websites, company vans etc cant get the leads themselves, i think along the same lines as my tutor at college where there is work out there if you have not got any then you cant be too great at what you are doing ,especially when you want to put your livelyhood in the hands of someone you dont know and has no experience.
This is something i want to do as a career until retirement really or get a good 20 or so years from and then even teach it for someone else to take advantage , so coming across as the amature id rather not make myself look the fool by contacting someone, committing to something which i wouldnt be sure could be fixed or done, give false information etc and get frustrated by it.

Also on the flip side of the coin id rather be working with someone and learning from someone who has plenty of work where i can be learning all kinds of new things quickly and effectively, rather than scrimping at jobs from leads that are going to be pretty hard to generate or be worthwhile.

You met a hard plumber there he's basically saying if u want me to teach you and make you able to earn a good living on your own then give me something I understand! Cold hard cash!!! Lol not many people will take you on and pay you drag you from job to job watch you mess up and teach you every trick in the game and the knowledge. It doesn't make sense. You need to advertise for free until you get proven experience then use that guy as a reference ect that's the best way.

Most ts these days don't have the cash, jobs, or need to train up a tag along that cost money. I'm just an advance plumbers mate and I know that, that's because I'm realistic tho

That's a really blinkered view mate, everyone has a quiet patch at some point IMO, regardless how good you are. Want my advice take the bloke up on his offer you've got nothing to lose

Nothing really to with how good he is. Contacts is the biggest thing. If he's not long started be might not have a large base. If he's older he might not have moved with the times and reluctant to advertise social media etc
He might not know a lot of people amd always struggled for work. Your area isn't an easy place to get work. He might be expensive? I don't have my gas, this limits the work I can do (halfs it). Lots of reasons.

If you can get some work, go for it. He might be a good contact to have

Because there are some amazing plumbers who don't know how to do marketing, sell themselves or build a business. Beggars can't be choosers. It's the only offer you've had, grab it!

Nothing really to with how good he is. Contacts is the biggest thing. If he's not long started be might not have a large base. If he's older he might not have moved with the times and reluctant to advertise social media etc
He might not know a lot of people amd always struggled for work. Your area isn't an easy place to get work. He might be expensive? I don't have my gas, this limits the work I can do (halfs it). Lots of reasons.

If you can get some work, go for it. He might be a good contact to have
put much better than me what I was trying to say

i cant be any use to you then as 'apparently' i am no good because for the last 5 weeks i have been on a 2&1/2 day week!.

perhaps i can tag along with you on some of your jobs, nah, wait...you wont find any yourself because its not what a potential plumber does is it?

go with whats offered it may be your only offer!

Because there are some amazing plumbers who don't know how to do marketing, sell themselves or build a business. Beggars can't be choosers. It's the only offer you've had, grab it!

The wisest thing said on the forum today.

*grins*
get the leads, maybe he HAS work but wants you to show you'll get off your backside and make a sacrifice to get somewhere.
which it appears you are hesitant to put yourself out?

Also on the flip side of the coin id rather be working with someone and learning from someone who has plenty of work where i can be learning all kinds of new things quickly and effectively

this is extremely naïve.
you'll be doing the same tasks over and over and over again in that case.
Not to mention if the person does a broad range of things very quickly you won't take it in.

Also take your workshop experience with a pinch/large handful of salt.

On the job things will be totally different, the advantage with you will be you'll have half an idea which tools to grab or fittings.

Admittedly i never did a plumbing course, but having worked along side a person who did two years before joining i wanted to bash my head against a brick wall with their lack of basic knowledge.

ironically, they were very proud of always getting distinctions.

get some leads from family members, at least you'll have the guys attention in teaching you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to any plumbers/companies in the mansfield area in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock