Search the forum,

Discuss Any one need a plumbers mate in north cornwall area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbingdazman

Hello My name is Darren,

I am currently doing an OLCI plumbing course its an NVQ2 and also a 6129 city and guilds.

I will be finished around october/november time hopefully, and when i finish i will be qualified in basic pipe work, bathroom suites, radiators, cwsc and hot water cylinders. Also will be trained in soil waste pipes, guttering, low carbon steel and sheet lead weathering/flashing.

I do the workshops assessments and studying around my current job as a postman. What i am asking for is someone who wouldnt mind me just tagging along and watching and helping them out on my days off with there plumbing jobs to help me gain experience in the field.

I wouldnt expect to be paid only knowledge is what i am after. I am a well mannered and reliable person am 26 yrs of age and live around the launceston area.

Any offers would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks for your time

Darren.

My company would LOVE to help someone else out. Maybe then you could be one of the 40 plus new plumbers who started up in my city in teh last twelve months alone!

It's ok though. These olci Rubbish courses dont teach you anything of use in the real world so i suppose i can just follow you around for a month making good your work!

quote 'one of the 40 plus new plumbers who started up in my city in teh last twelve months alone!'

I see they taught you how to spell at school then!

I've done this course to try and give a better life for my family and personally hate wan***s like you always putting people who study these courses down.

I dont have the luxury to do an apprentiship due to mortgage commitments but you keep on putting us down you p**ck.

well that your invitation to the ball up the swany. is that how you talk to customers ?

well that your invitation to the ball up the swany. is that how you talk to customers ?
no that is not how i talk to my customers, i have been a postman for almost 8 years and my customer skills are better than most. but as you can see from many threads posted on this forum, the guy trying to do right and earn for his family by training as a plumber all get slated on this site.

i asked a simple question would anyone mind a helping hand and the response is sick of the 40+ new plumbers coming through, you wont last and i will have to follow you around putting right your mistakes.
The end of the day no one is perfect and without practice how is anyone suppose to improve. I've worked hard for this course and to be be put down by someone who does not even know me i feel quite appalled.

Daz

You stick at it mate,you seem to have your head screwed on and you can spell... which believe me is a bonus around here!! Your post was polite and to the point and didn't deserve the response it got. Unfortunately there are a lot of uneducated dinosaurs around here with their heads firmly up their own arses.....they just have a big chip on their shoulders concerning plumbing courses that's all. Ignore them.

Good luck.

Darren

Too far away to help - sorry.

I have learnt to ignore a lot of the negative stuff on this forum. I reckon that with a positive attitude, knowing your own limitations and a focus on good customer service you can do well.

This forum should be about us trying to help each other - so ignore all of the negativity (ask yourself why do they do it ?)

I wish you all the best

Thanyou Chris,

Nice to know there are a few good people on this forum. Thats the thing i will start off with things like new/replacement bathroom suites and general maintenace and through experience and confidence work my way up.

I know im not qualified to plumb in a new central heating system and would not dream of doing so.

So how far away are you then out of curiosity?

Many thanks

All the best Darren

Darren

I reckon that with a positive attitude, knowing your own limitations and a focus on good customer service you can do well.

I've worked with blokes who are 30 year time served plumbers who dont have any of that and some of there work is absolute garbage. Experience counts for a lot but its certainly not everything. Knowing what you CANT do is the key.

I agree, at times it is hard to say no to business. I have learned that the most important skill of all is knowing when to say no. This can be because a job is beyond my skills, or that the customer is trying it on.

We have had no problem filling every day with jobs ranging from the smallest repairs to full blown bathroom refits. It is striking how difficult most of our customers have found it to find someone to do the work for them. I have lost count of the number of customers who have tried 7 or 8 plumbers for their work to find that only one turns up to quote. Many plumbers do not seem to be interested in 'smaller' jobs and will only take on new builds, full central heating systems, new boilers etc - and why not.

Knowing what you can and can't do is vital - in my case I do not pretend to be a heating engineer, my adverts do not make any reference to this work at all. I stick to what I am qualified to do and good at and turn down things I know are beyond me.

A lot of the debate on these forums seems to be about the importance of experience etc, etc. I fully agree and would not allow someone who did not know what they were doing to work on my central heating system. It seems to me that the term 'plumber' is being used by some as describing someone who is totally competent in every aspect of heating, gas, plumbing, etc, etc. Many of us do not aspire to this greatness and are content to make a reasonable living out of the mundane end of plumbing. I respect those who are fully time served and qualified. I do not see the type of work I do as any sort of threat to them, nor them to me. There is plenty of scope in the market for those of us who are prepared to do a good job at a reasonable price at both extremes of the job.

Unfortunately the public does not make the distinction between the different types of work we can all do.

Perhaps the whole thing revolves around the meaning of the word 'plumber' - this will probably never be resolved and neither will the long running debate between the time served and us career changers !

Look forward to replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any one need a plumbers mate in north cornwall area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm looking for an adult course to do the NVQ2 C&G around my current job. Has anyone used or can recommend training providers in my area (North Herts/South Cambdrigeshire) where I can do the course part time? Ideally somewhere that has other adults - I'm 38 and career changing from...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not really solved this, so I feel i need some real advice from real tradesmen. I am 21 and stuck behind a desk not progressing into a career, I have...
Replies
Views
P
I am currently studying Level 2 City & Guilds Plumbing at City College Coventry, 2 days per week (Tues. & Thurs.) and would like either a Plumbing Apprenticeship or Plumbers Mate Job in the Nuneaton area. I have a full UK driving licence and my own transport. I am reliable, hard working, keen...
Replies
Views
Perrohn
P
M
hey I am Marcus and I am new to this forum so, hello :-) I have recently finished a city & guilds level 2 diploma in plumbing studies 6035 course at York college, and I am looking to change from my current job to become a plumber. So I am currently looking for apprenticeships in plumbing or...
Replies
Views
IDCHAPPY
I
T
Hi my names tom and am currently 25. I have just finished my level 2 plumbing course 6035 (none nvq) at college. Have had work experience with a local plumber for 6 months but his work slowed down a few months ago and was unable to keep me on. need to set up a portfolio so i can do my nvq...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock