Discuss Any ideas with this stopcock? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
AEAB6C5B-B16D-4F00-B79F-892B4220E9BC.jpeg 4C777B0E-11E9-4694-96E8-EC8A8F2D552D.jpeg Hi guys, first post for me in the hope that somebody will be able to help! I recently tried to turn my stopcock off, to replace a tap and install service/isolation valves. The stopcock has seized, I’ve tried to free it up but had no success. I’ve had great trouble finding my external stopcock, living in a terraced house the only one I can find is next doors, is it possible it’s shared? Either way before I pester the neighbour and ask to turn it off, I can’t figure out what stopcock il need! It looks like 15mm copper mainsentering the property, (which hasturned green) but the nut looks a lot bigger than 15mm. Then coming out the other side I can’t see a nut at all? It’s like it’s been soldered in?? Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on your level of plumbing skill but I would cut just below bottom nut and just above stoptap, fit compression coupling on bottom pipe (may have to file lip inside coupling to make it a slip coupling depending on if you have any play in pipe above) fit 15mm stoptap to top pipe and have a piece of 15mm copper inbetween to join them together.

Have you tried loosening the gland nut, it's the 1st nut down the spindle from the stopcock head? If not, turn it ACW as facing the head, slacken it until it's finger tight and I reckon you should then be able to turn the stopcock off.

That pipe looks like it is coming through a lot of plaster material that will indeed corrode it.
The stopcock looks good order, at least on the outside, so should free up ok

In a ideal world it would need digging out and replacing if no external stopcock can be found then it will need freezing on the incoming pipe and replacing using a electic pipe freezer not really a job for a diyer my advice get a professional in . cheers kop

It's 1/2" Copper.
15mm will fit but it will be a bit tight.
There is every chance the Main stop tap is shared, you need to try it if you cannot find your own. It will most likely be a quarter turn plug cock, not a tap you screw down.
Looking at it though, I think it will be serviceable.
Sometimes they stick if they have been opened fully and left for some time. Always fully open them and turn them back a quarter (my advice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any ideas with this stopcock? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back