Search the forum,

Discuss Any ideas what this is in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daryl Self

Guys,

cant say ive seen one of these befor, any ideas?
Help welcome

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 160
Thanks Steve, glad I'm notthe only one stumped, I thought about it being a drain down, but not sure why is has a drain off on it.... Seems a bit of a waste of a drain off to me, it's actually from a friend so I'm gonna enquire what service is is attached to

Is that an iso valve below the stop valve as well?

Looks like a manifold to me, I'll ask him when I speak to him next, but never seen anything quite like that.

copper waste from a sink prob and when they replaced the stack they left it as it as ok my guess

a big leak waiting to happen, had one of those taps blow off in an attic just before xmas, got a call half past midnight, all i had done was turn it off on the cwsc and on again later!!!!! Plastic crap

Drain the heating in a new build flat ? Instead of drain offs.

best way to find what the tap does is open it and see if the boiler pressure drops/ what is connected to it

Need to speak to the guy that sent me the picture, can only assume it's a drain of some sort. I'll ask him tomorrow about the details. I had a thought of it having something to do with draining solardown but unsure if it has panels. I just though as it was a new build that copper 1'1/2"(unit) must have been manufactured for a purpose that's all, and if anyone had seen it befor with the sketchy details I have about the job at the moment. Looks like a right bodge to me to be honest, looks like it's a hep iso/tap connecter with a mi- 15mm coupler, into that crappy white (/softener bypass) valve.

keep us updated if you can

It's an innovation for sure, have you seen anything like that set up befor red?

its a solar drain down for te chems into soil stack instead of surface

Solar drain down, makes sense as I've put above about that. Only thing it could be I guess

that would explain why the white would be there, its mains water and its to dilute the solar water/ antifreeze down to an acceptable level so you can flush to mains drainage

I don't see a tee after the valve / befor the waste, unless the copper manifold type thing is a holding vessel connected to the solar circuit. Won't hold a thing though as there is no valve after the vessel, looks like it would be empty the majority of the time as its open and would just run into the waste. Turn white valve on to run mcw and there must be a valve in the top of the vessel to introduce/drain solar circuit

Last edited by a moderator:
yes they would be prob a butterfly valve / lever

Good call, I'll check with him tomorrow but sounds like a safe bet, thanks chaps

i think its a shower pre heat, as the hot water goes down the waste hole it goes through the copper pipe then into the stack, running all the way through the copper pipe is a form of heat exchanger that the cold main goes through which picks up the heat before it goes to the electric shower pre heating the cold and saving energy

If this is a mains cold water pipe connected directly to a soil stack there will be trouble!

But we need more information and better pictures as well.

check first page

Waste heat recovery unit supposed to take the heat out of bath or shower waste water and use it to preheat the incoming main

Absolute garbage them things , will never work , fitted one once and laughed all the way through the fit .

Waste heat recovery unit supposed to take the heat out of bath or shower waste water and use it to preheat the incoming main

and have a legionella risk dont think so

I've never seen one of those before! Just had a hunt around on google and there are plenty of companies making them, costing around £500!!!

They seem to be either a main sweater jacket around the inner waste pipe or a copper coil over the outside of a waste pipe so no interconnection with waste water.

It's an interesting point with regard to legionella. I think the risk is slim though. The worst case is if the shower is tuned to cold after a hot shower then there's a possibility of getting legionella prone water, but the chances of it occurring between the Hex and the outlet are slim.

I'm assuming that there would have to be some double check valves to prevent warmed water flow to other cold outlets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any ideas what this is in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock