1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Any idea how to get the top cap off this tap? in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. bensaunders

bensaunders New Member

14802393363641009085207.jpg

I can't work out which bit unscrews - I'm guessing it is either side of the two ribs but if someone knows it will help me decide where to give it some wellie!

2. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

Almost certain it's just above the 2 ribs.
    Palm of your hand (maximum contact) and push down and twist.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. Meady

Meady Plumber GSR

As above, just the disc in the very top.

4. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Have you tried just pulling the top off ? had other taps like this , takes a bit of patience and wriggling about but they will move .

5. SimonG

SimonG Plumber

Top cap on those I think. Get the rubber gloves out for extra grip.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Very top section unscrews. the rest will be obvious. If it doesn't move easily gently tap round the top ring. It will eventually move.

7. gassafe

gassafe Plumber GSR

Had one like it last week, was solid! A rubber glove & pouring boiling water over the top did it

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. student plumber

student plumber Member

Either prise off with thin flat screwdriver, carefully.

Or some rubber gloves and grunting.

9. gassafe

gassafe Plumber GSR

I meant to say it had to be unscrewed after the hot water trick

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Member

GasSafe & Simon G are spot on. The threads become gunked up with soap and rubbish. When reassembling use a little silicone grease on the threads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. student plumber

student plumber Member

Had a tap like it the other day, took me a few minutes to get it off, cannot remember how it came off though.
    But I would use a persuader on the spout if needed but protect spout first, and try and unscrew it.

12. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Top cap just above the rings unscrews

13. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Just the top cap. But if it has not been touched for years it will be solid. I use a soft cloth to protect the cap and a pair of grips to turn it. But be careful, if you don't use the cloth you will scrape the chrome

14. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

A few tips for removing those top caps, -
    They are very rounded, so not much to grip on, but try a strap wrench that has a rubber strap.
    First tap the cap gently a few times with a rubber mallet, or rubber coated handle of your hammer or pliers to hopefully unseize the threads.
    Put electrical insulating tape around the edge of cap and do it so that it is rough, folded up way - that will make it so easy to grip with your hand and is a brilliant way to try to remove any parts on taps

15. student plumber

student plumber Member

That is if tap doesn't turn while unscrewing the cap because it's seized up, persuader is worst case. Correction, changing tap is worst case.

16. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

As the original post was last November. I'm sure the poster has sorted if. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1