Search the forum,

Discuss Annoying customer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
So I go out to quote on installing some showers.

The customer has about 5 minutes to discuss it with me and gives me about 5 minutes to have a look at the loft cisterns and airing cupboard and that's it and I have to go.

So I send some estimates for various options, electric, power showers, mixers and separate pump, saying I'll do a quote when the customer has decided which option she prefers the sound of.

Customer decides she wants one power shower and one electric so I quote on that. I also give a quote for a thermostatic mixer shower and separate pump because I think it's a better option than a power shower. I say I won't be wiring ANYTHING because I'm not an electrician.

Customer has had alternative quote, which is fine by me, but it's not in any way comparible. Included are bath taps (when was this discussed and can I even get to them?) and now it's two thermostatic mixers run off one pump, but the model of pump the other quote specifies is not suitable to run both showers at the same time. Also, this alternative quote makes no reference to brands, except for the pump, so I am assuming the cheapest of the cheap and I don't really want to compete on that basis. And it includes wiring of shower pump (no mention of any bonding). Oh, can I quote on the same please?

I can't make out if I'm in the running for this and she just wants to check my price is okay (my labour charges will probably be cheaper, but I have quoted on high quality materials which will push the price up), or if I'm just being used to try to beat down another price.

How many people here sympathise with me when I say I don't want this job? And any helpful advice? I'd happily go and have a proper chat, but I'm working away at present so not really an option, plus when the first visit was an obvious waste of time, would I just be wasting more time?

The customer sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

I would just send a polite email saying you have just had a few quotes accepted so you are too busy to be able to do the work.

The customer sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

I would just send a polite email saying you have just had a few quotes accepted so you are too busy to be able to do the work.

Agree. Brief email withdrawing quotes, before she has time to accept. Wouldn't give reason, let her ponder on that one. Mistake was wasting time on quote when her 10 minutes of time couldn't be extended.

Too late for that. I'd already said I needed more data to be comparible. I know there is a valid reason she needs two prices at least.

I can quite easily use the 'busy' line though as it's true (I've already had to tell a close friend I cannot fit her dishwasher for at least 3 weeks), and I suspect the customer will have a tight schedule I probably won't be able to fit into now. Luckily the quote I gave gave no indication of lead time.

As you say, my fault for trying to be too helpful and accommodating in the first place. If we'd discussed this properly initially, I would know what I was supposed to be doing.

Last edited:
It's not to late, you could have had the phone call five minutes ago.

The other way is to stiffen your quote so much you either won't get it or if you do you can sub it.

Just email back to the customer to say there has been some sort of mistake as you hadn't been told about extra shower, or bath mixer, or that the model of shower pump could be just any type, (as you only use the best model).
Just state - Ignore my last quote, as you weren't given proper and full specification and also had priced high quality materials.
Finish by saying you have just won a few quotes and may not be available

Nah, I've said I'll quote, but she knows she won't get anything from me until the weekend. Also, her daughter and her boyfriend know far too much about my work and private life for me to invent any reason that isn't the truth.

Many good suggestions here. Thanks to all. Think I'll be able to get off on a declined quote due to fact that since our conversation so much has changed that I no longer have any idea of what she wants and can't get to see her since I'm 100 miles away at present and I know she needs the work more quickly than I'm now available anyway.

In any case, what's the point in matching a quote? I would not have written the quote the way my competitor has, and disagree with the design as well, so it's not the sort of thing I am happy to quote on. Night all.

Ric

Nah, I've said I'll quote, but she knows she won't get anything from me until the weekend. Also, her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend know far too much about my work and private life for me to invent any reason that isn't the truth.

Many good suggestions here. Thanks to all. Think I'll be able to get off on a declined quote due to fact that since our conversation so much has changed that I no longer have any idea of what she wants and can't get to see her since I'm 100 miles away at present and I know she needs the work more quickly than I'm now available anyway.

In any case, what's the point in matching a quote? I would not have written the quote the way my competitor has, and disagree with the design as well, so it's not the sort of thing I am happy to quote on. Night all.

Ric

Last edited:
Just email back to the customer to say there has been some sort of mistake as you hadn't been told about extra shower, or bath mixer, or that the model of shower pump could be just any type, (as you only use the best model).

No no, she knows its not what I've quoted on, but she's had a price from the competition and wants me to write a new quote and price to see how I compare on a like-for-like basis. Presumably because she's talked to someone else and now she's changed her mind what she wants installed.

The competition, and I, were both quoting on Stuart Turner pumps, but my other products were mostly Mira. God knows what the competition plans to fit.

Last edited:
Why don't you get her to send you a copy of the quote - with or without the final figure.

I've asked for this in the past. If they genuinely want a quote they will do it.

I've had quotes come across my desk and told the customer if they want a cheaper price, they aren't getting one from me

Why don't you get her to send you a copy of the quote - with or without the final figure.

I've asked for this in the past. If they genuinely want a quote they will do it.

I've had quotes come across my desk and told the customer if they want a cheaper price, they aren't getting one from me

You can always leave it for a couple of weeeks, if she gets in touch just say sorry I've been run off my feet & haven't had time yet or after the said couple send a new one by that time she's hopefully gone somewhere else....

Don't worry. It's resolved itself. She sent me two emails this morning two minutes apart both with completely different (and illogical) revisions of what she wants and then her daughter emailed me saying she had spoken to her and wanted her to ask me to leave it for now as she's a bit stressed and is putting the project on hold.

Which suits me very well...

I think she did, but it was a very vague quote and not a spec I was keen to quote on myself.

Probably she wanted to use me, but needed to check I wasn't charging over the odds. Anyway, I don't have to worry about this any more. La la la.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Annoying customer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock