Search the forum,

Discuss Alternative to PRV for noisy tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a mixer tap in my bathroom that makes a noisy "whooshing" sound. It's worse when it's partially on (hot and/or cold).

After seeing other forums there is the suggestion the tap is for a low pressure system, opposed to my combi system.

I was wondering if there's an alternative to installing pressure reducing valve/s or changing the tap, as both would be aggro. For example, could I change the cartridge in the tap for one that works with HP systems?

Any advice appreciated.

What type of tap?
Quarter turn to open or more turns to open?

Probably flow reducers fitted into the pipe fittings to mixer tap will help greatly. You can get flow reducers of various flow rates.
But a restrictive airator on tap spout might also help

Yeah, I stuck an aerator on it today and it has helped a bit.
Do you mean like a flow regulator ball valve that can adjust the flow?

Yeah, I stuck an aerator on it today and it has helped a bit.
Do you mean like a flow regulator ball valve that can adjust the flow?

No. The ball valve isolator valves probably won't really solve your problem and can sometimes cause noise.
You can get little 15mm plastic flow restrictors that look like a disc. I will try to get a link for you to them.

Yeah, that's what I'd seen, but thought it would reduce the flow opposed to pressure, which I think is the problem.
Would changing the cartridge for a high pressure one have any affect?

Yeah, that's what I'd seen, but thought it would reduce the flow opposed to pressure, which I think is the problem.
Would changing the cartridge for a high pressure one have any affect?

Yes should sort the noise out of its pressure

Reducing the flow is all you need to do.
Fill valves for cisterns now use flow reducers to work against high pressure effects, so to quieten the valves

Ok so I might try a better flow reducer in the tap and if no success I'll have a go at that flow regulator you've suggested.
Thanks for all of your help.

Update
After roughly testing the flow rate on the noisy tap (even with the including flow reducer), it was well over 12lpm. Far more than I needed for such a small sink.

So I ordered the suggested lower flow aerator (4lpm); installed it on the tap this morning and the noise has gone completely!!

Thanks for everyone's help. Will definitely be using these forums again!

Thanks for coming back to let us know the outcome and glad it sorted your problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alternative to PRV for noisy tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock