Search the forum,

Discuss All pipework replaced - still little to no heating downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if its a 2 pipe system i fail to see how it can be just returning without providing any heat to rads.
As I asked earlier...Is part an old 1 pipe system.
Sounds like the flow to upstairs is coming back into the flow somewhere else and not the return lol

I had an install with a similar problem, was 22mm speedfit on the first floor, the first 22mm speedfit tee off the flow blocked. Found the speedfit pipe insert had come loose and completely blocked the flow causing the same issues you have. I cut the flow and return and put a speed fit loop in connected to one rad to prove the boiler was doing good it's job and then passed it back to the installer. Just something to consider.

lol - you're probably right with the flow thing Tony! What I can't understand is why it worked for one day (the day the original plumbers left), but why the next day it failed!

I also don't understand how the flow and return pipes that I can see on the boiler are both hot, but in the bathroom only the flow is hot, while the return is cold!!!

It could have been that waaay back it was a 1 pipe system - the plumbers removed a lot of redundant pipework - but the 2 pipes above the boiler have been there since we moved in - 16 years now - so I'm assuming it's a 2 pipe system. All seems very strange to me...:ack2:

Thanks again for that Tony - I'll certainly pass on your experience to the plumber before he turns up tomorrow!

Flow and return being hot is the heat building up in the boiler and creeping up the return abit because it has nowhere to go.

Ahhhh, so it's possible for the flow to affect the return directly on the boiler side i.e both pipes hot, if the flow has nowhere to go?

Normally overheats first but it will get warm. I bet the boiler modulates down then goes off because it's sensing the return temprature

That's the thing Tony - it doesn't - and it doesn't make any noise/shut off/show error codes - it just chugs away like everything's fine! And that return pipe directly connected is as hot as the flow pipe, but that doesn't reflect on the flow/return upstairs. Sorry to keep repeating myself but it's proper confusing me at the mo lol!

Jesus, if I was local I would pop in just to see this ball ache!

The answer is there somewhere - will keep you posted once it's all sorted (soon I bleedin' 'ope!)

I am down in Worthing for a couple of days next week. If you haven't got it sorted and you want another opinion I could stop by and take a look for you.

What I can't understand is why it worked for one day (the day the original plumbers left), but why the next day it failed!

If a lump of sludge or other debris was dislodged during the work they did, it may not have worked itself into a position where it could block the circulation until some hours later...

I hear ya! This is the same plumber who replaced the pump and removed the trap - he's a really nice guy and open to suggestions, but seems to be stumped with this problem. If he's not able to rectify it tomorrow I'm gonna let mfgs take a look at it!

Re: All pipework replaced - still little to no heating downstairs ****FIXED****

***UPDATE - CENTRAL HEATING NOW WORKING!!!***

And...here's the culprit! It seems this bypass pipe was part of the original installation many moons ago, which explains a couple of things - a) why the heating took so long to get to downstairs prior to any work being done (lived with it for 16 years!) and, b) why the heating worked on day 1 after new pipework, but started failing the day afterwards!

The plumber said that the water wanted to travel the least distance it could, and as this 'loop' was directly above the boiler (under the bath and missed by the plumbers who put in the new pipework as they said they could access under the bath), it was pushing 85% flow through the bypass pipe, but only 15% to try and heat the whole house. This explains why the flow and return pipes connected directly to the boiler were roasting hot, but the return pipe that was cut and connected in front of the bathroom sink was cold. It also explains why the boiler was shooting up in temperature immediately the central heating was turned on.

So there you have it - we now have heating to the house that's better than it ever was, all thanks to this forum, my nosiness and a plumber who was willing to go that extra mile to help us out :hurray:!

Thank you guys so much for all your helpful advice and patience with this post - we got there in the end!!!

Warmest regards, Brian

20160409_095118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sticking with us over your issue and keeping us informed.

It's just woeful that the bypass valve was put in such a location.

Happy you got it sorted.

Even happier that you found a Plumber that was willing to work with you to try and resolve the problem.

Post no 58 3 weeks ago, lol
Glad it's sorted and keep hold of you're new plumber, he's worth his weight in gold

Glad you got it sorted, but it really shouldn't have taken this long to figure out.

Guys, you're all absolutely right - it should never have taken this long to rectify. The first plumbers kinda just wanted to get 'in and out' as quickly as possible, whereas the last plumber was open to all suggestions you posted on this thread, as well as humour my curiosity and look deeper into the problem. Defo a keeper :lol:! Thanks again!!!

Look for a manual bypass valve that maybe fully open
If there is one it should be near boiler/airing cupboard

jonny - we found it, and indeed it was the culprit! But it was underneath the bath and not in 'plain site'!

Guys, you're all absolutely right - it should never have taken this long to rectify. The first plumbers kinda just wanted to get 'in and out' as quickly as possible, whereas the last plumber was open to all suggestions you posted on this thread, as well as humour my curiosity and look deeper into the problem. Defo a keeper :lol:! Thanks again!!!

How long did it take the last plumber to find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to All pipework replaced - still little to no heating downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock