Search the forum,

Discuss Airlock in my hot water lead to the shower's digital processor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Megan Patterson

Hopefully this all loads as I want it to, because the imagery (I think) makes all the difference. I seem to have come across a nasty airlock leading to my Aqualisa digital quartz shower pump that has completely stopped the flow of hot water. The unit literally craps out on me the instant I start to incorporate hot water instead of straight cold. I discovered that there is a hot water lead off the top of the boiler that splits, has a bib, and leads directly to the shower mixer (the pipe on the right in the image of the boiler). This pipe feels warm. Now, I followed that up to the loft and noticed that it has a near 90 degree bend to go straight into the pump. Before the bend (leading up from the ceiling/floor/boiler) it's still warm, but AFTER the bend...it's cold. SO! My problem is that I have no idea how to "bleed" this when these aren't flexible pipes and there's no air release valve of any sort involved. The middle pipe going to the pump is the hot, the right (looking at it) is the cold water, and the left is the feed to the shower. The pipe coming up between the hot and the shower feed is the main line off the top of the boiler. There's a white cap on it that really has me confused, but I assume it wouldn't do much of anything for my problem anyway...
Any ideas?? IMG_2470.jpgIMG_2468.jpgIMG_2469.jpg

has it worked in the past?

Yes. I had to shut off the mains water to fix a leak on the wc sink. In the process, I turned some of the other "knobs" trying to see what would turn off the water to the wc...finally having to just shut off mains water. After that, it developed the air lock

Can you disconnect the hot from the pump and get a flow through could be that the gate valve isn't working

You very likely have turned that red headed gate valve off earlier and the valve gate is disconnected inside and valve is nearly tight off. Try turning the valve a few times on & off (anti-clockwise for on) and if shower still not working you need somebody to replace that gatevalve.

That's where I'm currently stuck. Pipes are rigid copper and there's no "wiggle room" to release the pipe from the pump. The only way would be to disconnect everything and I'm not about to attempt all of that on a rental property! I agree with you, though...and REALLY wish I could just pop that line out and see if it clears. Is it possible that the bend in the pipe leading to the horizontal portion into the pump has the airlock or is it more likely to be the gate valve? As in, is it even possible to have an air lock just because the pipe turns 90 degrees and then continues horizontal?

more than likely, as said above, the gate valve is the culprit

if pump starts on cold & cold water at shower head (hot pump runs as well as cold) then very unlikely to be an air lock. Most likely valve turned off or filter blocked.

As per Best post above can you turn the red handle of the gate valve does it turn a number of times & then stop. If it just goes around & around without stopping you have broken it & it will need replacing.

if it stops make sure it is turned anti-clock wise (open) as far as it will go.

Last edited:
Not an air lock it's no water. More to the point if it's a rental why isn't your landlord sorting it?

Well...the leasing agency sent out an electrician who has "done plumbing work before"...needless to say, the issue wasn't fixed. Now, almost a week without a working shower, I'm just ready to tackle it myself if possible. Of course now I can't seem to get the gate valve disconnected to replace it. Really don't want to have to cut the copper pipe. Is there a way to remove the "stem" and actually hate of the valve without having to remove the whole piece?

Undo the top nut only and CAREFULLY pull the pipe upwards a little to see if water is flowing, if it is just push the pipework back in and do the nut up again. keep in mind the water will be hot so take care. if as we think there isn't water passing through the gate valve then there won't be a flood. If you undo the lower nut then you have no means to stop the water if it starts coming out

Last edited:
Undo the top nut only and CAREFULLY pull the pipe upwards a little to see if water is flowing, if it is just push the pipework back in and do the nut up again. keep in mind the water will be hot so take care. if as we think there isn't water passing through the gate valve then there won't be a flood. If you undo the lower nut then you have no means to stop the water if it starts coming out

Ooooo thats asking for trouble, IMHO.

If you do, turn off the cold feed into the cylinder first & open the tat taps to take off the pressure first.

You still haven't said does the gate valve head turn & turn or does it stop ?????

Sorry...yes, the handle (bonnet?) turns as it should. A few spins clockwise to close and a few back counterclockwise to open. Stopping at both ends. I loosened the nut under the bonnet and no water leaked out...under full pressure. I was able to completely loosen it off and not a drop of water. As stated before, the pipe leading in is nice and hot while almost directly above it is cold. All that being said, 100% sure following this past test that it is blocked. Now just need to get the thing off!

You would be best to get someone in. Unless you drain down I envisage mess

What are you doing. Its rented. Push it back to the landlord and lean on them. You flood the place and its coming out your pocket.

Don't mess with this. Replacing the gate valve with a full flow ball lever is an easy job for a pro but not so simple for a novice. Hold back your next rent payment if the landlord doesn't fix it, or get a plumber in and reduce the rent by the plumbers invoice. Don't run the shower with no hot water as you will burn out the processor.
Btw the gate valve is not needed as there is an isolator fitted to the hot inlet on the processor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Airlock in my hot water lead to the shower's digital processor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock