Search the forum,

Discuss Air valve continuously dripping hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrew1601

Hello,

I have joined this site to try and get some help with a central heating issue I seem to be having.

The hot water supply to the shower and taps stopped working this morning, and after some fiddling this evening, we managed to restore it by regenerating the internal air gap in the the cylinder in the airing cupboard. However, whilst fiddling around in the airing cupboard turning the cold water inlet off to do this, I accidentally pressed down on the little (what I assume to be) air valve (as pictured) connected to the central heating pipes. A small amount of water came out and I then cleaned it off with a towel. However, it carried on dripping and water keeps seeping out of the top. Every time I dry it, water starts to collect on the top again, and drip down the sides.

It isn't dripping too much, however it is dripping constantly, maybe one drip per second or two seconds, and hasn't slowed down in the last 20-30 minutes. I was thinking that maybe this means there's too much water in the central heating pipes? The valve is sitting on the "Primary Flow" pipe from the cylinder, and then it carries on to a tee-junction, one going off to the pump and the other going towards another control valve.

My description is based on what I've learnt about plumbing tonight, so apologies if it is not that specific!

I have attached photographs of the pipe work and the (what I assume to be) air valve (the silver cylinder in the photographs).

I was wondering if anybody could offer some advice about how to stop it dripping. The hot water to the taps and shower has been restored, so it's just this that's bugging me now! I can put something to catch the water, but something tells me it shouldn't just be dripping in normal operation!

The links to the images are here:

[DLMURL]https://postimg.org/image/s3extwvht/[/DLMURL] - The offending valve
[DLMURL]https://postimg.org/image/ng8vs584x/[/DLMURL] - A bigger view of the central heating plumbing by the water cylinder.

Thank you in advance,

Andy.

Attachments

• IMG_6968.jpg
    IMG_6968.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
No it should not drip.
It will have dirt inside and probably need replacing.
Get a heating engineer out to do it for you.

It's not a DIY task in my opinion as it could end in disaster.
Oh and welcome to the forum :welcome:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air valve continuously dripping hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock