Search the forum,

Discuss Air in shower pump, how likely is this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm basically an electrician, but we do need to do some of everything in this world.

I'll begin by saying I've installed several shower pumps before, always successfully, and always using "good practice" with a air-free flange and separate shower pump feed from the tank. No problems yet..

A new customer has asked me to install a shower pump. Open vented system. There are only single feeds to the bathroom (bath sink, shower) in unjointed plastic, 15mm, from the tank and the header tank. Tank is probably 6M horizontally from the shower. The vertical head from the cold tank water level to the shower head will be about 1.5M.
The tank 22mm exit appears to be an ordinary central one without Surrey flange.
Bathroom has sink taps take-off BEFORE the proposed pump location, (bath taps would be after).

I've advised the customer about my doubts regarding air ingress (either direct off the tank, or from someone opening the sink taps). I have advised a low power max 1.5 bar pump to slow things down a bit, and reduce the possibility of a problem.

In terms of actually experiencing air-in pump type problems, I can't evaluate the risk since I feel I've always done it the proper way myself, and haven't encountered this one. Customer doesn't want to install any new feed pipes.

Anecdotally, what's the likelyhood of this becoming a (not unforseen) problem if I go ahead with fitting the pump?

I'd say highly likely there will be a problem, not only by the ingress of air but also by the pump not having its own independent feed, meaning it could be starved of water.

Your best course of action is to consult the manufacturers instructions or call them directly.

When it comes down to it, if you install it "incorrectly" it won't be covered by a manufactures guarantee so you'll likely be the one going back to it, free of charge... I'd stay well clear of it if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air in shower pump, how likely is this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar. Connect to this is a 1.5 bar Ora Salamander pump for a positive head, this was connected by a plumber of course and we’ve had it all rigged up...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone shower in the garage which has been removed. Unfortunately the pipes are only 1.5" on that side of the house since there's no bathroom and the house is...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock