Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Lability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Air Air Air changed pump bled system?? in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Olga

Olga New Member

Few weeks back I awoke to no hot water, I have a baxi 24 HE on an open system, boiler had tripped so reset next day same thing few days later I had a look and realised the pump had stopped, so bought a new pump, changed it and up and running but the system sounds like it is full of air wooshing around, banging and tripping the boiler constantly, sometimes It might last for 2 days. I have checked the F&E tank and you can see the water coming in as it expands but it is just luke warm not hot, i have a drip from an overflow but both tanks levels look OK, bleeding highest rads everyday to clear air. I am now very confusedto the cause, any suggestions?

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Hi Olga, maybe something as simple has the pump is pumping the wrong way, look on side of pump you will see a arrow showing direction of flow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

The pump is back to front and pumping the wrong way ? That would be your first thing to check . kop

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. king of pipes

Spooky posted exactly the same time Jt

5. jtsplumbing

OOOOOOOOOOOOO !

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Olga

Olga New Member

Dont think so, it was a grundfos alpha just a like for like swop out, only goes one way as far as i know, after reading a little it may be pointing towards hot tank coil perforated maybe??

7. jtsplumbing

Yes only pumps in one direction ! but have you fitted it facing the right way ? that is why the pump has an arrow on it < >

8. Olga

Olga New Member

these pumps have a power plug underneath and an electronic switch unlike the old fashioned grundfos pumps, hard to get wrong.

9. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

The thing is the head of the pump is reversible depending upon which direction you want it to pump. The important bit is that the arrow on the pump body is pointing the correct way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

• Like Like x 1
  11. jtsplumbing

Sorry Olga, are you a Plumber Or a DIY person ?

12. king of pipes

Olga post a picture of the pump we can tell you if its correct ? Cheers kop

• Like Like x 2
  13. Olga

Olga New Member

A friend recommended Fernox cleaner, worked a treat silenced in minutes, will leave it in for a day or two and then flush, thanks for the help everyone..

14. Olga

Olga New Member

For peace of mind can somebody confirm the pump orientation please, got me worried.
    upload_2017-12-10_11-32-29.png

15. Olga

Olga New Member

16. Olga

Olga New Member

So it rises from pic1 to pic2 and that is the direction of the pump. upload_2017-12-10_11-35-22.png

17. Olga

Olga New Member

This is the same as the pump I changed but i have had air problems since it was fitted, hence the worry.

18. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Seems to me the wrong way around if you got a y system

• Like Like x 1
  19. jtsplumbing

Pump is facing wrong way the arrow should be facing the 3 way valve

• Like Like x 1
  20. Olga

Olga New Member

since this was fitted with a new boiler and pump 5 yrs ago I have had nothing but trouble, constant bleeding, air locks and noisy boiler(screaming) thank you everybody now reversed.

• Like Like x 1
  21. jtsplumbing

Great give us an update in a few days , let us know how things are.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Olga

Olga New Member

things have gone very well,:) thanks guys

• Like Like x 3
  23. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Thank you for getting back to us