Currently reading:
advise?

Discuss advise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nitrous92

Hi guys just a quick question, i am 18 years old and have done my level 1 & 2 domestic heating course in college and have started my level 3 this year. Because i have done all my work in college in a full time course i haven't worked on site or in somebody's home, so i thought that i need some experience but have struggled to find an apprenticeship or work placement. But yesterday somebody overheard me talking about my course and have asked me to install a bathtub and a sink in his house so i give him my number and told him i would have to have a look at it just in case i thought it looked difficult and would mess things up. I was just wondering if you guys think that i should take the job on for experience or wait until i have had proper on site experience?

Thanks.

Only you can answer that really,its what you feel confidant and conformable doing,you can have all the qualifications in the world and still not be ready to carry out the work or have no qualifications and able to rip complete bathroom out and instal all new and tile
If you are going to do plumbing,I would say get in there,you could argue you should start on small jobs and build up but in real life ,it does not work out like that.
Maybe split the works into small controllable units,first thing I would advise is find the hot and cold isolation points for bath and sink and drain down and fit isolation valves on the pipework to bath and basin,then re-instate supplies to other outlets,so you can take you time and do not have to worry about getting main water back on,if job takes longer and indeed you can take you time doing the works
If you break the works down,you should be able to do Ok and start to build your experience and conference both I would put above qualifications

imho

okay thanks for the advise i think im going to go for it the more experience i get the better i guess :)

Yes it will be hard, and yes you will probably make a mess at it!

Having said that - nothing ventured nothing gained!

Get some people who you can ask for advice if (when) you get stuck.

Tell the customer that it might take longer (it will), but give him a cheap quote to compensate!

In fact this forum is so well established now, that you can probably get help for us as you go along.

Just be careful you aren't going to put this guys bathroom out of action for 10 days (this one might be hard!)

Ask us for help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock