Search the forum,

Discuss Advice when tightness testing and permissable drop found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi , just wanting some opinions over what the correct procedure is when tightness testing a property with all appliances connected and no reported smell of gas ? for example a drop of 2.5 mb over the 2 min test period would be within tolerance of either gas meter . What would the next step be as I am at odds with another gsr engineer who suggests that the source of the drop must be found .I would welcome any advice thanks Dom

With appliances connected, permissible drop is allowed with no smell of gas. Obviously if there is a loss which could be due to minor leakage through valves on gas appliances. It is the engineers judgement whether they need to look into it further. Personally, I would isolate all appliances and re-test to ensure its not on the gas installation pipe. Re-check to identify which appliance is letting by and take corrective action if I felt there was a safety issue.

If the customer has confirmed they cant smell gas then you don't have to trace and repair.
If they can its I.D

Hi , just wanting some opinions over what the correct procedure is when tightness testing a property with all appliances connected and no reported smell of gas ? for example a drop of 2.5 mb over the 2 min test period would be within tolerance of either gas meter . What would the next step be as I am at odds with another gsr engineer who suggests that the source of the drop must be found .I would welcome any advice thanks Dom

if you are GSR and the other person is , then this makes two of you . And both of you ned to go back to collage

Hi and thanks for all the replies ,phoned gas safe today and confirmed my thoughts were indeed correct ! it appears that only one of us need to go back to collage .

Hi and thanks for all the replies ,phoned gas safe today and confirmed my thoughts were indeed correct ! it appears that only one of us need to go back to collage .

Welcome to the forum Dom. People don't like talking about gas where everyone can see it in case somebody uses the info that shouldn't and things go breast up.

If your gsr then you'll need to increase your post count to 10 or over and then send a private message (pm) to gasman or redsaw with your gsr details, they'll ask a couple of questions to confirm and then they'll allow you into the hallowed gsr only forum.

Thanks for that welcome Sam ,working alone it sometimes helps to have your thoughts etc confirmed as being correct ,after all no one is infallible . not sure I will bother asking many more questions though as I don't really need the abuse and smug replies especially when something plays on your mind as this has for the last few days.

Thanks for that welcome Sam ,working alone it sometimes helps to have your thoughts etc confirmed as being correct ,after all no one is infallible . not sure I will bother asking many more questions though as I don't really need the abuse and smug replies especially when something plays on your mind as this has for the last few days.

But you have to take your turn as the new boy so we can abuse you,it's the only fun we get
Most of it is harmless as long as you can take it as well as give it you will be fine, we all make mistakes, except tamz!!!!!!

if you are referring to my post for abuse I would not agree , but I will be really really happy if you up your post and join the GSR part here and you will realise how friendly we all are here .....is just that we get lots of Q asked by MR.builders and Mr.DIY

and KIRK ( he is the bible man ) he is the one that will answer all difficult regulation questions along with Reg Man
technical the god name is GAS MAN

Dom

Word of advice. Wind it in.

I've been through the thread and no one has been untoward towards you. We have a strict rule regarding gas on UKPF.

Providing gas-related advice to anybody who should not be touching gas and cannot prove their competence is unacceptable. We will take whatever action we deem appropriate to prevent such advice being given

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a PM (Private Message) with your gsr details to either Gas man - View Profile: gas man - Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK or Redsaw - View Profile: REDSAW - Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK who will check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Everyone has helped you and managed to stay within the guidelines.

Wind it in ? fair enough didn't realise there was a separate forum for gsr engineers ,that's my mistake .Bit of background info for you I am a self employed plumber /gas fitter and the main part of my business (15years still going strong) is project managing bathroom refurbs and boiler / heating system design and installations .

Good man, 3 more posts and you can join the gsr private forum.

Then another 90 and we'll get you in the Arms where we can abuse you properly while you buy us virtual drinks. You can also send requests to the online radio station that's adopted us!

ok I might be a little tetchy as its really been the week from hell for me , far too much work to do in too little time (always the case) .

ok I might be a little tetchy as its really been the week from hell for me , far too much work to do in too little time (always the case) .

No worries Dom. You should see me when I'm on call. Everyone on here is on their best behaviour then!

2 to go!

Great bunch of lads, cracking sense of humour and tons of info. Everyday is a school day.

welcome to the forum Dom. If you do alittle searching (maybe need to join the gs bit first) you will find a few large posts about the subject you have asked about. A bit of a split between members on here of those that would go beyond the regs or follow them but no further. Its one of those questions that we argue over 2 to 3 times a year on the forum with the same conclusion. stick around and join in the forum banter and you will find we arnt a bad bunch :)

Really?

You would leave a 2.5mb drop. Just because they couldn't smell it?

Would you leave a water leak because no one could see it?

If that was LPG it could be slowly filling a basement

Dangerous!

Should you ever leave a drop in a propert let me know. Just so I can make sure I don't live close

Do you know of any incident following a soundness test where a permissible drop had been left by a engineer on NG.

From my own experiences on NG I would have no fear leaving a permissible drop.

Really?

You would leave a 2.5mb drop. Just because they couldn't smell it?

Would you leave a water leak because no one could see it?

If that was LPG it could be slowly filling a basement

Dangerous!

Should you ever leave a drop in a propert let me know. Just so I can make sure I don't live close

Better go about getting the regs changed then mate.

the best ones are those £50 cooker connect jobs (cooker 3 fires boiler & wall heater property) with a small drop, then you have to tell the customer your capping the supply until you pay me £600 for a new gas run to the 3rd floor/back room....luv.
its ok because its the middle of winter, last job of the day at 4;30pm on a bank holiday weekend...

tend to loose quite a few jobs for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but heyho its more than likely on the 20m of gas pipe running outside the property?

Better go about getting the regs changed then mate.

Better re read the regs. Igup/1b - that the old one? Drop on connected appliances ok if no smell of gas. Must verify that it's not on pipework! I can't find my copy on phone it's in van. Anyone have a copy for reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice when tightness testing and permissable drop found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock