Search the forum,

Discuss Advice required on fitting radiator into conservatory in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr Strangeglove

I would like to fit a radiator into my conservatory. I currently have a wall mounted boiler that is situated against the wall the radiator would be on. As we have a fitted kitchen I want to make sure I get the right kit before I start and I want to make sure the layout, fitting and sizes will be suitable. The boiler is a Myson, Orion 60B (which according to the manual is either 50 or 60,000 btu/h). So this is what I have:

Conservatory = 5m wide x 2.3m deep x 2.2 high.
I have a wall space to fit the radiator which is 3m x 1.1m
My boiler is fitted toward the end of this wall space on a wall at 90 degrees (in the opposite room obviously).
The distance from the top of the boiler (which I presume is where the hot water outlet is!) to the bottom of the wall is 2.2m.

The route I will need to take is Tee from the main pipe, 90 degrees down, 90 degrees along the wall, 90 degrees through the wall, and then to the radiator. (then a similar return route).

I would like to have a thermostat of some kind in the conservatory but in all honesty I think the problem will be that I need more heat not less!

I need to know:
What size radiator
What type of heat control?
What type of pipe and fittings – I was thinking 15mm copper as I don’t want to restrict flow.
Do I need any bleeds or drains?
What do I need to do to avoid airlocks etc?
How should I break into the existing system, how do I drain it and how do I refill it. The boiler seems to have 4 pipes in sets of two each pair having 1 x 22mm and one larger. The pipe to the pump (which is just above the boiler) is one of the 22mm ones.

Sorry to go on but I thought you were better with more info than less.

I understand you wanting to do this yourself but it will work out cheaper if you get a plumber in to do the job, If you make a mistake it will be more expensive to put it right.

for the rad size you will need to know what each wall is made from as well as the sizes and the amount of glass.

You may want to look at underfloor heating (electric under tile heating).

Further to uug197h. I agree that on some occaisions its cheaper to get someone in. (The plasterer has just gone , got done in 3 days what I have been putting off for a year Mrs lee is now walking around with that smug told you so look)

Its always hard to give advice blind,

From your description there are some other things to consider,
Heat control . Thermostat or just TRVs, with a stat we are now talking possible zone control and lots of more bits.
Will the boiler take another rad and still remain efficient.

I would go for the quote option and let a plumber do all the research for you. Once you got that then you look at all the options.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies.

Firstly it will only cost me more if I do the work incorrectly. The reason for asking on this forum is to make sure I am capable of doing the work and ensuring that I am aware of the pitfalls and possible problems. A good plumber will do the work quickly, neatly and to a good quality. But as with all tradesmen, you don’t know how good a job they will do until it is done.

I fitted my own house alarm. It was hard work and took me two days to do what an installer would take ½? day. The difference is all my wiring is hidden behind coving as I was prepared to do the time consuming awkward items that they could not afford to do in their time plan. My friend had an alarm fitted shortly after I did mine and the mess they left him with was awful. His was a better spec than mine but his cost £3k compared to my £200, but mine was by far the neater job.

I would not want to have a separate thermostat control as I think this is taking it too far for what I need. I really wanted to know what things to avoid in relation to air traps, pipe sizes, tips on breaking into the pipe (draining etc) and what size radiator.

I can solder copper pipe etc, and I can work out the pipe lengths required etc. I am a sheet metal worker by trade (though I have been on the design side for a while now) and I have soldered using iron and torch plenty of times. The one thing I find from forums is experience which is something you can not get from a book. If you gents have any tips or warning then I would welcome them. I can assure you if I think I am not capable I will not attempt to do the work.

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards

Mick

I cant really help without seeing what your describing, however the best thing to do if your planning on adding another radiator to the system would be to tee off the current flow and return loop pipework (under the floor boards) It all depends on what type of central heating system you have. Teeing off the top off the boiler is a definate no-no. Its best left to a plumber/heating engineer. You dont want to end up with a rad that doesnt get hot, or a heating system under negative pressure or pumping over etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice required on fitting radiator into conservatory in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock