Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please on Shower going hot cold hot cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

For some reason my shower will not stay hot, it is hot for about 30s and then will go cold for about 10s and repeats this.

I have read forums and people say it could be the heat exchanger needing a clean or a sticky diverter valve but the taps for the sinks etc aren't doing this so does that mean the boiler is fine and the problem is actually with the shower?

I would greatly appreciate any help!!
thank you!

Stuart

I would say it's your shower thermostat cartridge

thank you, do you think i should replace this, (seems to cost around ÂŁ75) or shall i just buy a new Thermostatic shower?

thank you, do you think i should replace this, (seems to cost around ÂŁ75) or shall i just buy a new Thermostatic shower?

Depends how old is the shower

1. You need to work out the centre distance between the pipes coming out of your wall. Measure the distance between the outside of the elbows, and subtract the diameter of one elbow (assuming they are round). If this is 150mm most bar mixer showers will fit.

2. You will also need to check that there will be enough exposed pipe when you remove the existing shower to enable the new one to be connected.

3. You need to make sure that, if you have a low pressure supply (tanks in loft / airing cupboard, no pump) that the shower you choose will give you a decent flow on 0.1 bar of pressure, although you might risk a 0.2 bar one.

4. The one you have linked to looks like a "no name" import, so its highly unlikely you'll ever be able to get spares for it.

5. Have a look at Bristan bar mixers.

If you can figure out how to get at the thermostatic cartridge, whip it out and take it to a plumbers merchants they may have an exact match or be able to source one for a lot less than ÂŁ75.
Remember to turn the water off before attempting to dismantle it.
There are a couple of common generic thermostatic valves I think the most common are called type 1 and type 2, I know of a type 6, so not sure how many generic types there are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice please on Shower going hot cold hot cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Hi all. My hot water feed for my shower is on the left and the cold is on the right. My understanding is that this is correct and this is also stated in the instruction manual for my valve. However when I turn the mixer clockwise cold water is coming out the shower instead of hot water. When...
Replies
Views
We have a pumped shower with a thermostatically controlled mixer valve. My wife complains that when she is having a long shower (hair wash etc) the shower runs at the right temperature for much of the time but suddenly changes to run cold, usually during the hair rinse time, for no apparent...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all. My hot supply for my shower is on the left and my cold feed is on the right. My understanding is that this is correct and this is also stated in the user manu.al. However when I turn my mixer clockwise the water is turning cold when it should be hot. When I turn it anticlockwise the...
Replies
Views
Saneal
S
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by local authority. I had no say in who carried out the work. I have called the builder out under the guarantee several times for water leaks. The shower...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock