Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on the solar system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thumbsup

I have a vaillant aurostor hot water cylinder currantly connected with a system boiler installed last year. Due to lack of funds at the time of installation I was unable to get the solar system for heating the water and intended to get it installed later. I am now in position to get the solar system installed but confused as I have heard that it is not good investment considering the benefit in return. I have been advised to go for solar electricity generation with 'feed-in' tariff scheme.
I would appreciate if some one is able to answer the following questions helping me to make right decision.
1. how much does it cost to get my cylinder connected to a solar system for water heating?
2. how many systems are available and which is the best?
3. how much does it cost to get solar electricity generation system installed under 'feed-in' tariff scheme?
4. is there any grant available for the both systems?
5. is it really worth to get the solar system installed?

how long are you staying in your property? if you are moving in a few years dont bother but if you intend to stay for the next 20 years go for solar water heating, its relatively simple and works. the photovoltaic cells to generate electricity work but the payback is long term and if governent funding changes (highly likely in this climate) the payback probably wont occur before you have to replace the panels! If however you have a stream and can use hydro eletric energy to generate your power its a no brainer.

costs for installation, you need to get quotes done, no one can tell you on here without seeing your setup.

different grants are available, see your installer they should know whats available and you will also gain knowledge of their expertise from whether they can answer you questions on the subject and weed out the experts from the wannnabees

I would appreciate if some one is able to answer the following questions helping me to make right decision.
1. how much does it cost to get my cylinder connected to a solar system for water heating? £2000-£3000 - £400 grant from local council if installer MCS accredited
2. how many systems are available and which is the best? 2 basically flat plat or evacuated tubes
3. how much does it cost to get solar electricity generation system installed under 'feed-in' tariff scheme? Lots ££££
4. is there any grant available for the both systems? Solar £300-£400 per year for 20 years if installer MCS Accredited
5. is it really worth to get the solar system installed? Yes up to 70% of your annual hot water provided for FREE

Eco

i going to get me one of those nice stirling engines next time i replace my boiler, forget photovoltaic cells

How is that allowed that BG are buying up sole rights to install for first 2 years !! And the price they are talking about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I've been to Baxi HQ and apparently the R&D was a joint venture between Baxi, Calor and BG thats why BG selling NG ones and Calor the LPG ones for the first two years.

yes but after 2 years the rest of us can install and then prices will fall and people will start putting them in. you can always import the tchnology, yanks have been running them for a while now

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all the fellow members who have replied to my thread advising me on the issue.

You could have a set 30 tube system with all equipment for about 1500 plus vat from kingspan solar (thermomax the best in my opinion) and should be no more than £800 if you can't install yourself (very simple to do) but I'll be honest will you they realy not worth it you would be far better putting the money in to insulation in your home that is the only way your ever going to benefit from anything insulation is the way forward as solar will never pay for it self and that's the truth

So for £2300 its fitted .
We have just got £20 of free hot water last week.
£2300 / £20 = 115 weeks but you aint gonna get 115 hot weeks on belt end so say 40 % (conservative ?) so 288 weeks =5 1/2 years paid for

Your forgetting about any maintenance ie pump break downs glycol change every 5 years there not worth it and I'm afraid that's the bottom line the figures I said was it you byeing them (trade) and fitting yourself it getting a cheap install

The figures were your figures from previous post. The £20 was an actual figure from an install we did.
Even doubling up to 10 years its paid for . And if energy costs go up , which they will.
Costs of tubes and cylinders are coming down as more people supply them.
I personally think that solar hot water will be the norm in the future
People are still very sceptical about payback , and rightly so. The last solar we did the material quotes varied from £3500 - £8500 !!!!! for similar gear ! You have got double glazing firms jumping on now

Well look at it this way how much would your charge it supply and fit a 30 tube set of thermomax plus all the kit plus twin coil cylinder then divide that bye your figures and let's see how long the payback is plus don't forget about any maintanance over that time period ??????????

Thanks for giving an honest advice and opinion. I have heard it before therefore I am so much confused as the opinions about solar energy differ. Is any body there who has actually experienced using the solar water heating system?

Solar Thermal:

Between £2000 and £6000 installed depending ion the supplier and what other work is being done etc.

It an average house hold gas bill is £1000/year and about 1/3rd of this is for heating hot water then the yearly cost of hot water is about £330.

You can expect between 50% and 70% of your hot water being supplied by the Solar Panels lets say 60% this annual savings of about £200.

Pay back between 10 and 30 years.

If the RHI does come in next year then there will be payments from the government which will reduce the pay back but with the new government this is not a certainty.

Solar PV:

Talking to a PV supplier he reckons on 5 panels costing about £10,000 installed and this would generate enough electricity to get £1000/anum back from the electricity suppler plus some free electricity so a 10 year payback. The feed in tariff has been guaranteed for 25 years so should be OK.

Obviously the figures are approximate only and will vary for each installation.

Look thumbsup at the end of the day it's upto you but as a solar instaler I would not put a set on my own house there just not cost effective yet
But it's upto you mate

As gray0689 says it is up to you.
As a solar installer I am going to put them on my house ;)
New build already having unvented, to me its a no brainer , fit it
As a retro fit it depends on a number of factors and you have to choose
Last one we did 30 tubes 500litres unvented total £5300 inc of VAT @ 5%

Last edited:
hello all, new to this site so here goes With regards to solar thermal hot water, i'm guessing that those of you with negative comments either have little or no knowledge, or are too old to bother learning about new sustainable plumbing products. How many of you have fit a new high efficiency combi boiler (£1600) telling the customer about the 'great hot water flow rate'. Or how they will save £200 a year on thier fuel bill. Thought so. Because your all so clued up I will let you work out the payback on that. The fact is that solar hot water is no dearer on payback terms than any other large investment to your home. What is different is that customer has taken the first step to becoming self reliant, hense not been held to ransome over fuel, as well as preserving the planet that little bit longer.

no pal your wrong i am not to old or have little knowledge of how solar works in my case its quite simple high investment costs and lack of interest from customers thought about getting qualed up but what's the point at the mo?

i think the point that you are missing is that the payback on gas appliances are higher and cost more year on year through servicing and rising fual bills pound for pound, but i dont here any negative comments regarding that topic. why dont you get qualified and get a head start on your local competitors, plus spreading the word to your clients to give them the reassurance that renewable products are the way forward, because if we don't who will. As for high investment costs look at the payback on double glazing! Its all about the right marketing and getting people to get out of that little england mentality.

You will be paid for every kilowatt generated by solar thermal as long as its installed by an MCS registered installer. Getting a cps qualification to install solar is just the start you will also need to be MCS registered which costs ££££££££££££££££ and theres a mountain of paperwork involved would be a good investment as you would be one of the few registered installers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on the solar system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock