Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on courses and qualifications to take? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gul94

Hi all,

I'm new here and I've found people here to be helpful thankfully.

I am wondering as I will be enrolling and taking a course in lvl 2 plumbing as I'm a total novice then move onto lvl 3.

Apart from these qualifications are there any others I should do or look to get into?

I have taken the advice to work for a firm after completion for at least 10 years before I branch into self employment.

At the moment I only know the role of being a plumber or a gas engineer but I will take an advanced diploma hopefully one day and get a degree and move further up in the field.

Any help?

I'm 23 btw.

My uncle has recently finished his PHD in his field and he is 40 years old.

I believe life if a marathon and not a sprint so I'm not looking for success overnight.

Thanks!

Have you found employment in the industry first before you attend college ?

No

unfortunately apprenticeship schemes are hard to come by atm but I will keep looking.

I would like to ideally do an apprenticeship and gain the qualifications but if I can't find one in time I'll have to enrol in a legit college and find my way from there.

How do you advice I start?

Regards

Get the job first, however difficult it is do not start a course without the ability to work as a plumbing trainee at the same time.
Whatever you are told or think you can not learn to be a plumber at a training centre.

Yes get a job first!
If you can't get one now, you won't get one in three years either. It will be a waste of time.

Also you will only be able to do part of level 2, without a job. You can't complete it and go onto level three, without working with a plumber for a year and a day.

Yes get a job first!
If you can't get one now, you won't get one in three years either. It will be a waste of time.

Also you will only be able to do part of level 2, without a job. You can't complete it and go onto level three, without working with a plumber for a year and a day.

Get the job first, however difficult it is do not start a course without the ability to work as a plumbing trainee at the same time.
Whatever you are told or think you can not learn to be a plumber at a training centre.

I'm not doing a crash course.

I'm enrolling in a legit 2 year course at a city and guilds certified body.

Doesn't matter. What Chris has said is spot on.

You asked for advice, doesn't mean you will like it though.

Good luck in your endeavours.

So how do all the people who enroll at college get into the plumbing trade?

I'm not talking about 6 week courses or similar.

I'm thinking of enrolling into a legit college who give legit qualifications.

Who knows I might make some friends and work as a trainee for their relatives company whilst at college.

How would I go about becoming a trainee?

Regards

So how do all the people who enroll at college get into the plumbing trade?

I'm not talking about 6 week courses or similar.

I'm thinking of enrolling into a legit college who give legit qualifications.

Who knows I might make some friends and work as a trainee for their relatives company whilst at college.

How would I go about becoming a trainee?

Regards

Not suggesting who were intending to do it on the quick. But --

You have to realise that even if you do the C&G 6035 level 2 you will not be employable, it has to be the 6189 NVQ for which you have to working in the industry & build a portfolio.

At 23 you may still be able to get a bit of funding but you may have to pay the difference between the cost. Tell possible employers that you are willing to do that it shows willing.

Not suggesting who were intending to do it on the quick. But --

You have to realise that even if you do the C&G 6035 level 2 you will not be employable, it has to be the 6189 NVQ for which you have to working in the industry & build a portfolio.

At 23 you may still be able to get a bit of funding but you may have to pay the difference between the cost. Tell possible employers that you are willing to do that it shows willing.

Thanks for the reply Chris :)

I know with the level 2 I will not get into employment but hopefully I will make some contacts and get in somewhere.

I'm self employed in another field so I will fund it all myself.

Do you have any advice on this? How would I go about approaching such businesses?

Regards

"Employment in a suitable job role. GCSEs in maths and English language grade A-D/3-9. Some employers may also specify additional qualifications. We will provide individual advice and guidance for applicants who do not meet these entry requirements."

Above is from the web site you posted, under Entry Criteria you need to read & understand what is required.

Oh snap didn't realize that part.

Looks like I'll have to get on the phones and hope someone hires me as a trainee.

As I'm a total novice in this, would you have any advice?

I have some idea of what to do and who to contact but would you suggest anything?

Thank you.

Oh snap didn't realize that part.

Looks like I'll have to get on the phones and hope someone hires me as a trainee.

As I'm a total novice in this, would you have any advice?

I have some idea of what to do and who to contact but would you suggest anything?

Thank you.

Not fixed it yet Dan?
:39:I know by posts are good but they don't need to go up twice !!!

Last edited:
The course you have linked is an Apprenticeship and to do an Apprenticeship you need to be employed in the industry as an apprentice. You could try and find a company yourself or the college can help you.

It is hard to get an adult apprenticeship though as its not fully funded so the employer will need to contribute. Also, for the 2nd year adult apprentice wages are much higher. So most company's would rather take on the young school leavers.

You can do your Level 2 without an Apprenticeship. But you will need to find work eventually otherwise you wont be able to complete your NVQ and you need to fully qualify to enable you to move onto Level 3.

I and part way through my Level 2 Plumbing at a local college. I do one day per week. I also work for free for a local plumber to get experience and then work a cleaning job so I have a wage coming in (whilst juggling 2 kids!).

The hard work has paid off though as I have a meeting with a Plumbing Company next week who are looking to take me on full time (except the day I'm at college). The wage is rubbish but I honestly don't care. I'm just made up to finally be working in the Industry :)

So while it is possible to do the course without a job first you will need to eventually. And you will probably need to work for free/very little. So something to consider.

Good luck!

The course you have linked is an Apprenticeship and to do an Apprenticeship you need to be employed in the industry as an apprentice. You could try and find a company yourself or the college can help you.

It is hard to get an adult apprenticeship though as its not fully funded so the employer will need to contribute. Also, for the 2nd year adult apprentice wages are much higher. So most company's would rather take on the young school leavers.

You can do your Level 2 without an Apprenticeship. But you will need to find work eventually otherwise you wont be able to complete your NVQ and you need to fully qualify to enable you to move onto Level 3.

I and part way through my Level 2 Plumbing at a local college. I do one day per week. I also work for free for a local plumber to get experience and then work a cleaning job so I have a wage coming in (whilst juggling 2 kids!).

The hard work has paid off though as I have a meeting with a Plumbing Company next week who are looking to take me on full time (except the day I'm at college). The wage is rubbish but I honestly don't care. I'm just made up to finally be working in the Industry :)

So while it is possible to do the course without a job first you will need to eventually. And you will probably need to work for free/very little. So something to consider.

Good luck!

Good post Cat,
Well done for sticking at it and doing it the right way. I guess you are at the stage now that you appreciate just how vital completing the practical site work is, at the same time as you complete the college side?
Working on site makes you realise just how much there is to learn and how you just couldn't fit it all into a college only based course.

I wish you all the best and hope that your dream of become a fully fledged plumber is realised, quite how you mange I don't know bringing up a family at the same time.

Thanks Chris! Your post made me smile.....It is hard so always helps to hear some kind words :)

Getting as much experience as possible whilst at college is so so important. But as I've discovered its also incredibly hard. There are many people out there also trying to get work and when you are not qualified there is not that much incentive for anyone to take you on. You have to want it 100% and be willing to work hard for not much financial reward.
I've spent the past year helping out for free, but what i've gained has been invaluable. I'm so grateful to my Plumber for sharing her knowledge with me. I'm so lucky to have found her!

Now if I get this job it will be hard work on site but if I want to reach my dream then its what I need to do. Again the experience I get will be amazing and I'll be learning what is impossible to learn at college.

Thanks Chris! Your post made me smile.....It is hard so always helps to hear some kind words :)

Getting as much experience as possible whilst at college is so so important. But as I've discovered its also incredibly hard. There are many people out there also trying to get work and when you are not qualified there is not that much incentive for anyone to take you on. You have to want it 100% and be willing to work hard for not much financial reward.
I've spent the past year helping out for free, but what i've gained has been invaluable. I'm so grateful to my Plumber for sharing her knowledge with me. I'm so lucky to have found her!

Now if I get this job it will be hard work on site but if I want to reach my dream then its what I need to do. Again the experience I get will be amazing and I'll be learning what is impossible to learn at college.

I'm in the same situation, started the 6035 course in September and due to finish in April/ May. Hopefully will get employment with a family friend and work as plumbers mate after the course and then do the NVQ when eligible. I'm 25 with kids so working a desk job at the moment as its impossible to get employment without a qualification. What kind of salary can a plumbers mate earn? Just need to know to plan for the early few months of being a plumber.

You really need to find someone whos willing to help with the work experience. I completed the 6035 level 2 in July. I have tried to get some 'on the job training' but no real joy. I have managed to gain some experience helping a friend install some radiators and a downstairs bathroom in his extension and a hand full of other jobs this has just reinforced how limited my knowledge is after completing the 6035 at college.
Best of luck hope it works out for you.

I'm in the same situation, started the 6035 course in September and due to finish in April/ May. Hopefully will get employment with a family friend and work as plumbers mate after the course and then do the NVQ when eligible. I'm 25 with kids so working a desk job at the moment as its impossible to get employment without a qualification. What kind of salary can a plumbers mate earn? Just need to know to plan for the early few months of being a plumber.

You really need to get the work experience and to do that you are going to get paid very little......if anything to be honest.
I am 5 months into my Level 2 and I have just got a job and I'll be earning £30 a week. I also have kids and rent to pay but I knew when I got into this it will take years before I can earn an decent wage.
I have also spent the past year helping out a local plumber for free.

Could you reduce your hours at work and get some experience in your time off? Some of the guys on my course do this. You'll need to be in work to get your NVQ.

Thanks for this. Although not what we have been told at college, it does make sense. Colleges, well my college anyway, sell this course as a route to direct employment as a plumbers mate and then the obvious route to NVQ. They fail to tell you about any of the difficulties you will find in getting work and amount you will earn. Thanks for the info anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on courses and qualifications to take? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock