Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Needed - Thermal Store linked to a woodburner and thermodynamic panels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ATC

Hello everyone,

Any help that can be offered on this subject will be greatly appreciated, I am not a plumber so I will describe as best I can the situation I am in and essentially the solution that I am after. I am in the final process of finishing the rebuild of our house. Apologies if this description is long winded but I think it better to explain everything so that a proper discussion could be had as my plumber seems to be at a loss.

The system - we have a thermal store (300l) with three inputs -

- thermodynamic - sometimes misleadingly called solar thermal which provides a constant 50-55 degree heat 24 hours a day - this is the lowest (position wise) and switches off when 55 degrees is reached - works the same as the rear section of a fridge in reverse.

- two standard immersion coils - these are used as backups only

- woodburning stove with back boiler - this is linked to the thermal store by a thermostat controlled pump which switches on at 65 degrees - this is the only time that the water in the thermal store leaves the tank, meaning all other outputs are coil based - ho****er, radiators, underfloor heating and the main 300l of the tank only leaves the tank when it is being heated by the woodburner.

The thermal store has all the relevant safety features, expansion tank in the roof and safety valve if anything were to go wrong the problem lies in the fact that with the solar thermal working and not using the woodburner the burner itself is working as a heatsink, as the 300l of the thermal store heats up it automatically heats the closed loop to the woodburner turning the pump on meaning that the woodburner becomes a radiator making the thermo dynamic work overtime and whenever we use any hot water or heating the tanks drops incredibly quickly in temperature.

Is there any advice on how to stop this circuit from heating up and switching the burner pump on? Would a non-return valve work on this (22mm) pipe meaning that the heat is not transferred out of the thermal store therefore saving energy?

Any help that anyone can offer would be hugely appreciated, a random and probably not often met problem but one geeky amateur in Kent would love some help.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

It's piped wrong. Get them back to sort. Sounds a dogs breakfast. Might want to get hold of somebody who actually knows what they are doing.

Thanks for replying any further tips - I have got onto the thermo-dynamic solar box people and they are going to supply a list of technicians but would be good to know that I am headed in the right direction rather than going from one extreme to another!

Can you take some pics of the store and the inside & outside of the feed and expansion tank?

Sounds like you need an equaliser in the system to prevent one source becoming an emmitter for another source. look up Dunsley baker, Dunsley Heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice Needed - Thermal Store linked to a woodburner and thermodynamic panels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock