Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed about becoming plumber in west sussex in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richy Rich

First off, hello everyone, just signed up to site and need advice from all you great and wise ones. I am not yet a qualified plumber, but have been doin voluntary plumbing with my dad, who is a qualified self employed plumber, on & off for a few years now. Now my dilemma is that I have developed sufficient skills over the years in order to take up plumbing as a career, and need advice on the best plan of attack to do this. I am not looking to become gas safe or anything requiring to many courses yet, I just need the basic qualification in order to set up self employed and get liability insurance for general domestic plumbing ie bathrooms, kitchens, additional rads to CH systems etc... which I am already fully capable of doin. I understand that I need to do the 6089 nvq level 2, is this all I need? and any recommendations on places in or around west sussex to do this and the quickest/economical route to get it. From what I've looked into already it seems like costing about £3-4grand and taking about 4-6wks does this sound about right?? Advice is much appreciated, fire away guys....

Last edited by a moderator:
best one to get advice from is your old man surely as he lives and works in the role!

I wish it was that simple, he is of the old skool variety at 66yrs, still working hard but winding down and no longer up to date on the current situation. He's still a top class plumber, one of the best in my opinion with his vast knowledge and attention to detail, but as you can imagine with a man of his vintage he has little time for the never ending changes to plumbing qualifications, hence my request for info from you more youthful and knowledgeable and up to date plumbers!

surely chichester or pompey have colleges for this if your close to either go and have a chat, all i know is its changing quickly at present so talk to local college before fast track commercial places and you may even get grants fm lea places

You don't legally need any qualifications as the trade is a sham. You just need a van some tools and a mask. If you want to get a job with someone you'll need them.

lame plumber, I've been over to Chichester college a couple of years back to enquire about the plumbing courses and it would cost me a grand to do the course as not entitled to any grants and will take a year to complete nvq 2 at 1 day a week. As I've already developed necessary plumbing skills and am confident and competent at undertaking plumbing jobs the best course of action I think is a private intensive course at a higher cost but will get me qualified quicker. Tamz, I didn't know no qualifications are necessary - what about for getting liability insurance if self employed and working for yourself - would they cover someone with no actual plumbing qualification to carry out plumbing work? I also think its essential to have the qualification to learn all about new regulations, methods etc, as well as well as customers would like to know I am actually qualified, even if only to nvq 2!!

You have hit the nail on the head there pal.
No qualifications are legally required. And no-one will ask when you take out pli ....but god help you if you need to claim.

Cheers kay jay, I am surprised the insurers wouldn't ask what qualifications you have, I guess its in there interest to allow you to pay the premiums and then they say they won't payout if you need to make a claim. After reading through some other post I realise the nvq 2 is the most basic qualification, is it possible to complete the whole nvq if selfemployed and doing your own jobs or do you have to be under the guidance of an experienced plumber. Reccomendations on decent places to do the intensive nvq 2 6089 in west sussex privately would be much appreciated. It seems there are a lot of places offering courses but after reading some other posts it seems some are ****e! Looked in to train4trade before they seem quite reputable and also Able skills I think they were called. Please enlighten me...

get your old man to sign you off s your in a better position than most and if you dont need to hurry why bother paying a fast track org when chi college is there and you take your time and probablygain more knowledge.

That was my original plan when I looked at chi college, and they said they would take me on to the course if I was taken on with my dad, unfortunately tho my dad wasn't up for the extra hassle for him involved with that, so is no longer an option and I have to respect his wishes. That's why the fast track option is now the best option, I don't mind that it is more expensive and am willing to spend the money, but want to make sure I go with the best people to do it with who are reputable.

From what I can gather from lookin at the 'plumbing courses positive negative experiences' posts, OLCI seem to be the top dogs to provide intensive plumbing courses. Seems like the the ones I looked into before ie. train4trade and able skills are rip off merchants judging from other peoples experieces with them - bit of luck I didn't go with them eh! I checked out their website but it doesn't give any details about cost or duration of the nvq2 course. I guess the duration varies for everyone but assuming I knuckled down and really cracked on with course living at the training centre in my campervan if needs be - how long would it realistically take?? Also from my understanding of course requirements the last 2 modules must be assessed on a job, - do you need to be under the guidance of an experienced plumber to do this or could I be doing a solo job?

Hi Richy Rich

Thank you for taking an interest in our plumbing courses. I see that you have some questions, which our Careers Advisors will be able to help you with. Please contact them on Freephone
0800 058 2848 or landline 020 7430 8405.

Best wishes

Alana Fox

The c&g recommended guided learning hours for the 6189 (nvq) course is about 500 hours or so for each level. There is a large amount of work involved and strangely only a small part of it is on site assessments. The work that has to carried out on-site would be difficult if you were working alone. The minimum that needs to be assessed (seen by the assessor) is fairly small (fitting a rad, bath etc) but it is supposed to be just a part of a larger job. Also professional witness statements will be hard/impossible to get if you're working alone.

You don't legally need any qualifications as the trade is a sham. You just need a van some tools and a mask. If you want to get a job with someone you'll need them.

He won't need a mask south of the border :6: like you say if he is that good the van and the tools will do, his satisfied customers will do the rest for him, the sham bit I got to agree with you, I have seen some crap plumbing in my time and it ain't going any better.

Thanks for replies guys, most helpful. Gonna check out the options now. Cheers.

Apologies for the slow reply, had a lot on recently. I live in Worthing - whys that????

Where abouts are you in West Sussex?

Easy, take up bricklaying less hassle, what with , valves, bypasses, Alpha 2 pumps, ticking, knocking, banging and screwing, hot water no heating,blah blah blah, bricklaying is dead simple, "one on top of two, sorted". :13: you do know you will need to half your brain removed if you down the plumbing route..:90:

Apologies for the slow reply, had a lot on recently. I live in Worthing - whys that????

plumbers delight, 90% ready to shuffle off their mortal coils idc, but youll always be fed tea and bics and have a chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed about becoming plumber in west sussex in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock