Search the forum,

Discuss advice, life swap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joeyraff

Hi there,

I was wondering if any one could advise or answer a few Q´s for me. My current situation is,

I’m 24, currently in the military but I’m looking to leave within the next two years. I’m a qualified personal trainer and am looking to do this along side a trade (self employed). I have a few friends that work as plumbers already so have been shadowing their work although it is limited at the moment (current eco climate).

My only option is to train part time and work full time so I can fund my training. So my questions are,

1. how long will it take to get to NVQ L3 part time (1 day a week at the centre, loads ofstudy time)?
2. how much will this training cost?
3. is the OLCI Newcastle any good?
4. do you think there is still a shortage of plumbers and will be in a couple of years time?
5. what is the earning potential for a self employed plumber in the north east?

Apologies if these questions are a bit basic, I have done some research but it would be nice to get some experienced feedback.

thanks

1 - You have to get NVQ Level 2 first. Mine took almost two years, two evenings a week. There are much quicker ways to do it, but my course only cost £600.

2. Don't know about Level 3. Like I said, Level two cost me £300 a year at a Government College (West Kent).

3. Don't know, from the south east, sorry!

4. I think there's a shortage of good plumbers, and a whole load of crap ones. As for a couple of years...yeah probably the need will still be there. Theres always people retiring/dying. So the industry always needs fresh talent.

5. Probably nothing like you'd hope for. £25K employed. £35K self employed with a good rep.

Are you TG 1 Joey?

(RAFF = RAF I presume), if so the general technical aspects of plumbing will come easily to you.

If by "qualified personal trainer" you mean you are a PTI, then in my experience you may struggle with fast tracking. Not meant to be rude, just based on my experience of such matters.

Good luck to you, make sure you get to grips with the ELCAS system and plan early to maximise your resettlement funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice, life swap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock